The Bug-A-Salt 2.0

Discussion in 'Other Guns' started by BlakeHanson, Apr 20, 2017.

1. BlakeHanson

BlakeHanson Well-Known Member

May 31, 2015
    Truly proving the point that there is someone out there to buy absolutely anything:rolleyes:.
    I actually had the 3.0 out yesterday with the garnet media in it.
    A red-wasp was 'bugging' me:wall:.
    Blasted him and didn't take him down to the ground, but you could tell he wasn't going to go very far.
    Long story short: problem solved.
    A fly lit later and I bounced him his body off of the back door window 4-feet away.:drwho: just because I'm mean:D.

spence13e, tx-rvr, FLT and 1 other person like this.
  2. Ryan D

Ryan D Member

Jul 25, 2018
    0720191337.jpg
    My new Bug A salt 2.0 customized with flat black body, camo accents, laser, and tactical light

850sub, iamscottasus and BlakeHanson like this.

3. Bear Claw

Bear Claw Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2017
    How big of a bug can these things take out?

P1080815.JPG

4. BlakeHanson

May 31, 2015
    See Buzzsaw's post #43. He didn't follow up with what all he got with the L&G, just the 2.0 and kosher salt.
    A scorpion?:eek:
    Their firepower is limited so they won't break stuff indoors and be "kid-safe".

5. lop

lop Well-Known Member

May 20, 2008
    'Kid safe' sounds like a euphemism for 'not effective against children'.

lop

850sub, tx-rvr, buzzsaw and 1 other person like this.
  6. buzzsaw

buzzsaw Grand Poobah Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Georgia
    The fun way to kill bugs! I knocked a carpenter bee out of the air with my L&G, but had to go stomp it to finish it off. The most obvious injury was it messed up its wings.

I also have a Black Fly 3.0. I am a bit disappointed in it. Salt gets in the feed (that cylindrical orange thing in the hopper) and seizes it up because the clearance is too large. I've never had that problem with the 2.0 and the L&G. I took the 3.0 apart to clear it before I saw their troubleshooting video. This particular 3.0 was supposedly a beta, so they might have improved this. I use coarser salt in it, though it hurts the pattern. I may get another 3.0 to find out. If this is fixed, the non-self-engaging safety and improved trigger are worth it.

It seems like I use the plain ol' 2.0 the most. It's murder (literally and figuratively) on spiders. It also works on those long-legged house centipedes (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scutigera_coleoptrata).

I haven't seen any scorpions in my house this year...

buzzsaw

850sub and BlakeHanson like this.
  7. buzzsaw

buzzsaw Grand Poobah Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Georgia
    Bear Claw,

It could probably take out that dragonfly, but I wouldn't, they prey on mosquitoes. Anything that kills mosquitoes is a good thing.

buzzsaw

8. BlakeHanson

May 31, 2015
    I haven't even seen the Black Fly 3.0 before:wall:.
    Nice to hear him call the safety on it a "cross-bolt-safety" nod.gif . I think everybody wanted that.
    And +1 on the BAS taking out the wings on any bug that flies. The sick part of me is perfectly happy condemning them to the status of 'walker' and not stepping on them:devil:.
    A slow death for you mister!

The most important thing not to be lost: the good ol' 2.0 is still available for about the price of two boxes of shells for a regular gun:tu:.

p.s. I hope they get the 'bugs':D worked out of the new Black Fly model.

9. Bear Claw

Bear Claw Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2017
    Oh, I agree, I hate skeeters...just included the dragonfly pic as a reference to bigger insects...thanks!

BlakeHanson and 850sub like this.
  10. RAT76

RAT76 Well-Known Member

Serious question, will one of these things take down a 2 -3 inch grasshopper?

Garden pest control.

11. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Dont know, but you dont want to salt your garden.

Liberty4Ever likes this.
  12. BlakeHanson

May 31, 2015
    Won't kill it even with Kosher salt. Those guys are armor-plated. But it can wreck their wings.
    That's why I was researching heavier-density, sharper ammo in the earlier posts.

13. SLFHunter

SLFHunter Member

Aug 13, 2020
    Hello all, I am a total random internet stranger here, and I know I am raising this thread from the dead. But hear me out.
    I live somewhere in the states that is currently infested with spotted lantern flies (SLF), an invasive insect from South Korea. They are hearty and abundant, and difficult to eradicate, especially from a distance. I got a Bug-A-Salt 3.0 Black Fly to take them out, but the power for both kosher salt and coarse sea salt leaves much to be desired. Half the time it just makes them jump and fly away, their primary escape mechanism. And sure, I could stand closer than 3 feet, but in my dream of dreams I hope to clear some of the HUNDREDS on the eaves of my tall house.
    This was the ONLY thread I found discussing real options to increase the power for this toy/tool. I found the discussion of higher density ammo and its effects on the plastic barrel well as plastic bearings to be pretty insightful. Tonight I tried black mustard seed. This is smaller then regular mustard seed, but regular should work too. Both are ideal because they are big enough to not get between into the works of the plastic (I hope). Current results are very promising, I will report back in the morning. I would be interested if others wanted to try this, or other hard, spherical, easily available, non-germinating seeds out.

BlakeHanson likes this.
  14. RAT76

RAT76 Well-Known Member

Excellent first post & welcome to the forum SLFHunter.

Update to my previous post, the hoppers turned out to not be a problem. Seems they nibble on a leaf or three, say "yeech" & buzz on off somewhere else.

15. SLFHunter

SLFHunter Member

Aug 13, 2020
    Alright, good news and bad news. The good news is that up close, mustard seed definitely does more damage than salt. The bad news is that the range is garbage. The spread is just too immense. I also tried sesame seed, but the spread is again too large. Back to the drawing board.

BlakeHanson likes this.