The break in has begun.

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by RZombie, May 14, 2010.

1. RZombie

RZombie New Member

May 6, 2010
    Finally got to the range to start breaking in my new P3AT.
    The 1st 25 rounds were Armscor Precision ball ammo. The 1st magazine had 1 FTE on the 4th round fired. This was the only malfunction I experienced.
    The 2nd 25 rounds were PMC Bronze ball ammo. No malfunctions.
    I did discover that the pistol likes the PMC much better than the Armscor. At 10yds shooting off a bag to steady my aim the Armscor printed a 6 shot group of about 6 inches dia. while the PMC printed just under a 3 inch group.
    My next trip I plan to have some WWB or Remington to try. After I get 200 rounds down the pipe I will begin shooting some defense loads. It does get uncomfortable to shoot after about 30 rounds, but that is to be expected from a pistol of its size and weight.
    Overall I am very happy with the pistol at this point and looking forward to get to know it better.

2. buckeyedave

buckeyedave Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Mine has shot everything I feed it except cheap reloads I bought at a gun show when 380 ammo was really scarce around here.

For added comfort try the magazine grip extension available from Kel Tec and padding from ktaddons.com.

have fun and enjoy!
    Dave

3. PF9Newbie

PF9Newbie New Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Wisconsin
    A good fluff and buff of the grip should help with shooting comfort. Sand down the rough lines and edges of the trigger guard, the trigger if needed, and especially the grip, to ease any rubbing or sharp areas and spots. This will make the gun much more comfortable to shoot, although much more than 30-50 rounds in a single session is probably more than most would find comfortable. You can, as suggested, add things like the mag extension, or grip wraps, etc, but I find these things merely add to the bulk and help defeat the easy pocketability of the gun, which is why I bought it in the first place. Just don't like any added bulk personally.

Jim R

4. fez

fez Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    florida
    All I did was add the plus 1 grip extension.IT gave me an xtra round and with my hands a better grip.Your mileage may vary.It's like a pair of shoes: If I like the style but can't find my size they won't fit right.Not all guns fit everyones dimensions.Good luck.