Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/outdoor/sportsman/43981/bill-allows-sightless-to-hunt.asp

I was checking the weather forecast on AccuWeather when I came across this.
Bill Allows Sightless To Hunt With Lasers in Louisiana
Jan 5, 2011; 10:03 AM ET

Thanks to laser scope technology, and the persistent wife of a blind deer hunter, the visually impaired in Louisiana can tag bucks again, as long as they are assisted by a friend.

From this story on ShreveportTimes.com:

Walter Hill is allowed to hunt with a laser thanks to his wife, Margaret, calling Louisiana Representative Henry Burns of Haughton and encouraging him to walk a special bill through the legislature last year.

Signed into law by Gov. Bobby Jindal, HB 39 authorizes the use of laser scopes by visually impaired hunters while hunting with a sighted individual. Prior to the law, sighted hunters had the daunting task of looking over an impaired hunter's shoulder and then trying to guess if a rifle or shotgun was properly aligned to make a clean shot.
For 17 years, I've struggled and fought every step of the way to have a normal life. Being disabled means it is simply harder to do the things you love to do. Having friends who don't mind helping you out levels the playing field but many times the law makes it so hard for people to help that many give up. That's one reason why I had to learn to and buy the equipment that lets me go hunting by myself. Anything that makes it easier and more enjoyable for those who want to help is music to my ears and to the ears of the disabled everywhere. This is a good thing that Henry Burns, Bobby Jindal, and the LA legislature has done. Every sportsman and sportswoman in Louisiana should call or write these individuals and tell them that on this matter they not only did the right thing but they did a good thing too.  :)

·
Banned
2,968 Posts
Re: The blind can now hunt in Louisianna.

Prior to the law, sighted hunters had the daunting task of looking over an impaired hunter's shoulder and then trying to guess if a rifle or shotgun was properly aligned to make a clean shot.
+1

a very good adjustment to the regs

B.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Re: The blind can now hunt more easily in Louisian

I like seeing posts like this. :cool:

·
Registered
6,102 Posts

Every sportsman and sportswoman in Louisiana should call or write these individuals and tell them that on this matter they not only did the right thing but they did a good thing too.
And we in states w/out this should write our Wildlife Management departments and state legislators ;)

·
Registered
1,506 Posts

State governments don't often get things right but they sure got it right this time. Kudos to them.

·
Registered
18 Posts

Wyoming has some regs reguarding disabled hunting, including baiting and traps. which is not legal for the average person. I do like that they are assisted in the Louisianna law. Helluva Hunt provides hunting to the disabled along with giving them a gun and any support they need.

Story about this program.

http://trib.com/news/state-and-regional/article_9160a496-3618-533e-a60e-8e1b35856016.html

·
Registered
3,118 Posts

I thought I saw a blurb about TN as well: the blind can now use laser sights so their helper can more easily see if the blind hunter is on target. Lasers for people who can see are still banned though. Before this, the helper had to look down the sights of the blind person's guns to verify the shot & help aim.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts