The blind can now hunt more easily in Louisianna.

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by billjohnso20, Jan 7, 2011.

1. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/outdoor/sportsman/43981/bill-allows-sightless-to-hunt.asp

I was checking the weather forecast on AccuWeather when I came across this.
    For 17 years, I've struggled and fought every step of the way to have a normal life. Being disabled means it is simply harder to do the things you love to do. Having friends who don't mind helping you out levels the playing field but many times the law makes it so hard for people to help that many give up. That's one reason why I had to learn to and buy the equipment that lets me go hunting by myself. Anything that makes it easier and more enjoyable for those who want to help is music to my ears and to the ears of the disabled everywhere. This is a good thing that Henry Burns, Bobby Jindal, and the LA legislature has done. Every sportsman and sportswoman in Louisiana should call or write these individuals and tell them that on this matter they not only did the right thing but they did a good thing too.  :)

2. Bert

Bert Banned

Mar 4, 2007
    Re: The blind can now hunt in Louisianna.

+1

a very good adjustment to the regs

B.

3. torrent

torrent New Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Re: The blind can now hunt more easily in Louisian

I like seeing posts like this. :cool:

4. burley

burley Active Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas

And we in states w/out this should write our Wildlife Management departments and state legislators ;)

5. mkamer

mkamer New Member

May 19, 2005

State governments don't often get things right but they sure got it right this time. Kudos to them.

6. marcussho

marcussho New Member

Sep 30, 2010

Wyoming has some regs reguarding disabled hunting, including baiting and traps. which is not legal for the average person. I do like that they are assisted in the Louisianna law. Helluva Hunt provides hunting to the disabled along with giving them a gun and any support they need.

Story about this program.

http://trib.com/news/state-and-regional/article_9160a496-3618-533e-a60e-8e1b35856016.html

7. jonnin

jonnin Active Member

Sep 28, 2010

I thought I saw a blurb about TN as well: the blind can now use laser sights so their helper can more easily see if the blind hunter is on target. Lasers for people who can see are still banned though. Before this, the helper had to look down the sights of the blind person's guns to verify the shot & help aim.