The $6 Pocket Holster How-To (w/pics)

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Beltfedleadhead, Dec 3, 2007.

1. Beltfedleadhead

Beltfedleadhead New Member

Feb 6, 2007
    I thought I would share this holster design with everyone. It is made from a $5.99 leather wallet from Wal-Mart. I built this over a year and a half ago, and carry the P3AT quite a lot, so I've definitely had time to wear-test it, and I haven't had any problems/issues with it to date.

I didn't think to take photos as I was making it, so I'm afraid a crude diagram will have to suffice.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. rls1158

rls1158 New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Now that's a simple solution to the much more expensive holsters out there. Does it stay in your pocket when you draw the pistol?

Reggie

3. Beltfedleadhead

Feb 6, 2007
    Absolutely. The lip beneath the trigger guard grabs the fabric, and releases the pistol. It's not a super tight fit, so it's easy to get the weapon into action quickly.

4. torrent

torrent New Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Now here's a noob who knows how to make an entrance. Welcome to ktog man and congrats on the holster.

5. rls1158

rls1158 New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Then it might be time for a new wallet. Thanks. :)

6. +1 torrent, and WELL DONE leadhead, WELCOME !

You certainly have shown the KTOG spirit!

Hope you stick around for awhile!

I can not count how many old wallets I have laying around the house!  And the wife has a BNIB sewing machine!  (It has been BNIB since she to get it from her mom 3 years ago!  ;))  Maybe now is the time to open it up and see if it can sew leather!

7. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Nice! Does it come in Tan? ;)

-Scott

8. PshootR

PshootR Banned

Apr 1, 2005
    Great job!
    Have you thought about offering them to K.T.O.G. members for sale?
    We are not all handy with needle and thread you know.
    Could you make one for the P3-AT + ArmaLaser?

PshootR

9. pfgrone

pfgrone New Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Looks great!

2 questions:
    1) Did you moisten the leather to get it to shape to the pistol?
    2) If one doesn't sew, might a glue, such as the instant glues, work?
    Paul

10. Beltfedleadhead

Feb 6, 2007
    The leather naturally conforms to the shape of the gun after wearing it in your pocket for a week or so. I suppose you could make a crude wooden mockup of the pistol, and soak it for a tighter fit. Perhaps saddle soap would work as well? The material is pretty thin, so it doesn't take long at all for it to mold to the gun.

I would advise against glues, since the heat and moisture from being in close proximity to your body might cause the adhesive to de-laminate. I don't believe it would be sturdy enough to withstand repeated draws and abuse.

11. Nakanokalronin

Nakanokalronin Member

Apr 7, 2007
    Hey I saw and replied to your post about this on AR15.com. Did you also sew alittle around D and E to fit alittle close to the trigger guard.I mean D and E together not to keep the flaps down. Thanks

12. Beltfedleadhead

Feb 6, 2007
    Sorry, I didn't see your post over there.

Yes, a little stitching under the trigger guard does help snug it up to the gun. That is a high-stress area, so a few extra stitches will be necessary.

Are you making one? I'd love to see pics of it when you're done!

13. Buck

Buck New Member

Feb 10, 2007
    I carry mine on the inside my wallet, that is between the wallet and the inside of my pants. I had a piece of leather sewn on to the top of my bi-fold wallet to act as a cover for the gun. When not carrying, the leather goes inside the wallet.

Cost $1.50 for the sewing, and $.50 for the leather.

In theory, I can grab my wallet and gun at the same time hiding the gun.

14. I never realized that you posted here as well. I saw this how-to on Arfcom and thought it was great (still do).

I don't plan to retire my Hedley at all, but this is a nifty budget-minded alternative to a commercial unit.

15. joje

joje New Member

Nov 1, 2007
    Thats an interesting idea! Any chance you could post a picture?

16. Buck

Buck New Member

Feb 10, 2007
    JOJO

I'll try and take a pic and email it to you. I'm not worth a **** at posting pics. But basically, get a piece of black leather about the width of your wallet when folded closed. Cut it about 3 to 4 inchs long, and sew into the inside of the back of the wallet so it will cover up the top of your kel-tec. You can take them both out at the same time if needed but it looks like you are only taking out your wallet.