Thanks KTOG! I love my POS>

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by usdm, Jan 8, 2009.

1. usdm

usdm New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    Been lurking for some time now signed up recently and just wanted to thank you guys for all the help!

Without this website I would have wrote off the P3AT after my 1st outing.. wouldn't chamber the 1st round, FTF, FTE.. Normally I would have sold the gun for next to nothing, because thats NOT defensively sound.

I did like the overall package tho, and this website gave me hope. I figured I'd run 100 rounds thru it and do a F&B, if all else fails, send her home.

Funny thing is the gun fixed itself by the next range session, ran 200 rounds with a mix of UMC, WB, and Rem GD 102gr. It did have some trouble chambering the first round with a full mag, but otherwise rattled off everytime I pulled the trigger.

I don't know if I fixed my grip or the gun broke itself in, but if it runs another 200 I just got myself a new pocket gun!

Thanks KTOG for giving a sour owner hope.

2. ladman

ladman New Member

Apr 22, 2008
    This is a great site. I learn something new every week from the experienced members.

3. carmike442

carmike442 New Member

Sep 14, 2004
    It's not unusual to have to nudge the slide forward when chambering the first round sometimes.

4. diamond_jim

diamond_jim New Member

Oct 28, 2008
    Used to give mine a nudge after loading the mag, figured if a round could make it work, maybe if I was to gentle, so jerked it back and let'er fly, and it has not needed a nudge since. Worked for me, Jim <><

5. usdm

usdm New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    I figured it's just a light slide and that as long as it fires over and over again when I pull the trigger shes good.

Honestly, I want to hate it, but the cute little bugger is growing on me.

I'm gonna take her out on Sunday, and if all is well, I'll retire the G26 for at-work-carry.

6. seabear1500

seabear1500 New Member

Nov 23, 2008
    Mine did the same thing in the beginning. At the risk of stirring up an unpleasant can of worms again....that's why I carry one in the tube. If I have to pull my weapon for SD, I don't need the delay or the brain farts a malfunction loading the first round could cause. They get better the more you shoot them.

7. seabear1500

seabear1500 New Member

Nov 23, 2008
    You are exactly correct. It is always best to let a slide "fly" when loading. That goes pretty much for any Semi Auto. That is why most have a slide release. When you depress the slide release the slide goes forward rapidly with no "gentle" motions involved. :cool:

8. usdm

usdm New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    Mine did the same thing in the beginning. [highlight]At the risk of stirring up an unpleasant can of worms again....that's why I carry one in the tube.[/highlight] If I have to pull my weapon for SD, I don't need the delay or the brain farts a malfunction loading the first round could cause. They get better the more you shoot them.[/quote]

Is this looked down upon with a p3at? I always carry one in the pipe. Thats why a good holster is so important to me.

9. diamond_jim

diamond_jim New Member

Oct 28, 2008
    I've always carried with one in the chamber, the 5 lb trigger pull, and long trigger stroke is safety enough for me. But that is why they are so popular, ([highlight]simplicity[/highlight]) Jim <><

10. usdm

usdm New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    My trigger feels more like 8lbs. :p

11. ColeSpeed

ColeSpeed New Member

Jun 28, 2007
    USDM, you are one of many that this site has help get through the learning curve and find out how good the P3AT is for what it is disigned for. I was in the same position and would also say "Thank You" for all the information that this site has provided.

Tod

12. usdm

usdm New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    I would have got one sooner if I had found this site. I always was under the impression that KTs are second rate. After owning 2 I'm sold for life. It's funny how many people ask what the S2K or the P3AT is. I tell them to come here to KTOG and you can find out.

13. tallpines

tallpines New Member

Jan 8, 2009
    They are if you're talking fit, finish, price and, sometimes, reliability. They're also not known for having good trigger pulls, either, as compared to other firearms. Doesn't make them bad firearms at all.

14. diamond_jim

diamond_jim New Member

Oct 28, 2008
    Kel-Tec specifications say trigger pull for P32 and P3AT is 5 lbs, that is where I got my info. I have not tested the trigger pull, but I still feel safe (5 or 8 lbs) with the long trigger pull. My .02 worth. Jim <><

15. usdm

usdm New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    My p3at only has 200 sum odd rounds in it. I'm sure the trigger will lighten up with use.

16. tallpines

tallpines New Member

Jan 8, 2009
    It will. Use some snap caps and it will smooth out...and you can get some trigger/sight alignment time in, too.

17. usdm

usdm New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    They are if you're talking fit, finish, price and, sometimes, reliability.  They're also not known for having good trigger pulls, either, as compared to other firearms.  Doesn't make them bad firearms at all.[/quote]

Thats kind of a funny qoute that sums up KT.

I actually kinda like the raw look of them. It's a tool and it looks like one.

The price I feel is FIRST rate, kudos to Kel Tec for providing good guns for a reasonable price.

Overall, my perception of these products have vastly improved. I have to feel good about it to defend my life with it.

18. tallpines

tallpines New Member

Jan 8, 2009
    And Kel-Tec products have vastly improved over the years, too. Sometimes involving complete re-designs. The bad reputation they got during the "early years" was well deserved and they're still fighting that stigma to this very day. You, I, and most here love Kel-Tec guns, but travel over to some other firearm forums? Talk about a sh^tstorm over these things! :eek:

19. usdm

usdm New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    It will.  Use some snap caps and it will smooth out...and you can get some trigger/sight alignment time in, too.
    [/quote]

Thanks, for the advice. It's not the pull, but the length that bothers me.

The snap caps will help me get use to it.

BTW, These things have sights?!?! :eek:

20. Mike_Patton

Mike_Patton New Member

Jan 15, 2009
    "BTW, These things have sights?!?!"

When I picked mine up last weekend, I asked the same quesiton. The sale gal said, "If you need sights, this is the wrong gun." I laughed my head off, and agreed with her - my 1911 and my .40 semi have sights, but when I'm using the P3-AT, it'll be because the BG is up close and personal and it's what I have in my hand ;-)