Thanks and goodbye P-3at clan!

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by gatorhugger, Mar 14, 2008.

1. gatorhugger

gatorhugger Banned

Jan 19, 2008
    Want to thank all the gentlemen that helped with all my questions as a newbie KT owner.
    I sold the gun. Yes, I am spending the money on the LCP before they increase in cost which I am betting they will.

I will say it's really nothing against the P-3, it was a fine speciality gun, went bang and it was a difficult decision to not have it riding in my pocket.
    But I'm a Ruger guy. I got the Mini 14, the P-89, and the small baby gun would be nice to have Ruger as well. All black and plastic and steel. Plus the "other" gun has a bit better grip. Well a lot better grip.

I wouldn't say it was anymore finished per say like everyone is saying, My HC was finished nicely, no burrs, rough edges at all. The only negative was that I did not like the way the assembly pin went all the way into the frame, would scrape off the chrome if it wasn't slightly pulled out.

One more gun for someone else to own and love. I Hope KT stays building them or else the LCP's will corner the market and be $600.00.
    Nothing inferior about the KT, to me it's 1 and 1a, and I would tell anybody the same.

2. RAT76

RAT76 Active Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Later Gator. ;D

Couldn't resist that. Seriously, drop in for a visit from time to time. You don't have to have a KT to be welcome here. I also have more Rugers than KTs, well a LOT more Rugers, but I think I'll be keeping the KTs as well.

Jim, who is going Ruger shopping tomorrow morning (gunshow in town) for a used Blackhawk Convertible.

3. phil_evans

phil_evans New Member

Nov 3, 2006
    austin tx
    does every firearm have problems initially?   i'll bet they all do.
    i've got a p3at that has been fluffed and buffed and now works correctly each time.
    with my rebate-  i'll probably get another,  for parts - or for my wife.   two's company.
    in this time of my life- i'm not a beta experimeter.
    with the forseen political ramificationsin that will ocurr in november, i'll stick with knowns..

4. Dreadnought

Dreadnought New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    I am sure I'll stir up a poop storm but...neither of my GLOCKs have had any problems, initially or ever, actually.

And I had no problems with my S&W M642. Or my Taurus 1911. Or my...

Well, I did have a couple of FTEs with my Sig-Sauer Mosquito at first.

The New-to-P3AT-Learning-Curve did bite me and I experienced a few FTFeed until I stopped limp-wristing. Other than that, it's a been a darn good weapon.

To the OP, I hope you enjoy the LCP. I really mean that too. :)

5. finnfur

finnfur New Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Wish you luck in finding one. I have a friend that owns a rather large shop and yesterday he had one for 61 seconds. He timed it.
    Everyone else is taking orders with a $50 deposit. I think the price is going up quick before it drops again. So I bought a p-3at yesterday with a p-9.

6. Moleman

Moleman New Member

Mar 12, 2008
    No poop from ME, phil! Ruger, Bersa worked perfectly right out of box, both now several years old and shot often - neither have EVER jammed or misfired on ANY range trip! (Also true of Romanian AK-47 purchased last month.) Until I bought Kel Tec, I assumed this was the norm! P-3AT is in factory right now, went in 2 weeks ago after purchasing in January. Probably gonna do same as Gator when the Rugers start popping up at gun shows. Most gun shows in my area have 5 - 10 P-3AT's the first day and NONE the second!

7. engineer88

engineer88 New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    I recently purchased my P3At and actually gave it a thought to wait a short bit and get the LCP. Did not for quite a few reasons, some very tangible and some...well not so much, LOL.

1. Kel-Tec with the whole Irish thing and I have to support my heritage. Hehe
    2. Kel-tec being in FL, my most beloved of all States and current home. Again showing support.
    3. Lifetime Warranty on P3AT.
    4. Not a fan of Ruger's past stances on some things like magazine capacity.
    5. The extra 2 ounces or pocket weight...no thank you.
    6. The extra 2 lbs. of trigger pull...no thank you.
    7. Slide lock...no thank you.
    8. I don't like cheaters and thieves.
    9. Cheaper and basically the same pistol pretty much.

So that about sums it up for me. :cool:

8. Moleman

Moleman New Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Good post! I can relate to a lot of your points...

1 I'm not Irish, but plan to drink some green beer this weekend (actually the kind I like is pretty dark and may not color very well)

2 I also live in FL. and liked the idea of buying locally.

3. STRONG selling point in my earlier decision!!!

4. Past experiences with Ruger are that they go BANG every time the trigger is pulled on EVERY range trip. Can't say this for P-3AT.

5,6,7 seem to more or less negate the idea of 8 & 9, in my book. If they took a design and modified it to the point where it is greatly improved, kudos! If this isn't the case (and it remains to be seen), then you have valid points.

I bought the P-3AT mostly because of info I read here and favorable magazine reviews. The fact that Kel Tec is local and the P-3AT's are VERY popular at all the area gun shows helped too. I'm second-guessing my decision now that some serious competitors are entering the mousegun arena (and I bought a bad 3AT), but nothing stops me from getting more than one brand and ultimately keeping the one I like best - except the depreciation, of course.

I think one would miss this forum, though. Unless they exist for the competitors as well, but I haven't bothered to check. Quite the asset to be able to stop by here and read archived posts or ask a question. THAT'S a good selling point, too! One that I might make better use of when I get my noisy cricket back.

9. engineer88

engineer88 New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    4. I have fired hundreds of rounds through mine and other people's and never had an issue. I think you might be in the 5-10% unlucky crowd. I am sorry for ya. :(

I don't think 5, 6 and 7 are negated. I could pour some sand in my trigger and make it 1-2 pounds harder to pull, doesn't make it better or more fun for me. I could gun-kote my P3At with lead and make it 2 ounces heavier, also not making it function better. It has been shown that the slide lock mod can be done and I never would because I do not miss it.

Those changes are very minor, just basically tweaks and not ones that are very useful to me.

All mouseguns inherently have more issues. The size to function ratio just demands it. Physics being such. To me it is worth the price. To some it may not be. For those who it is not, I say get a good snubbie (and use the mouse gun as BUG maybe?. I know I am as my next purchase!

S&W 442 here I come! My stable is becoming complete! Yay!!

P.S. I don't own a Bersa but I belong to and read on those forums (bersatalk) because they are good. I don't contribute a ton, but nonetheless I hang out there some. :cool:

10. gvaldeg1

gvaldeg1 New Member

Feb 8, 2008
    I really like your cogent post. I do have a question or suggestion or two. You say you're going to get a S&W 442 which is a +p rated 15 ounce 38 spl. Did you know that you can get about as much stopping power out of your P3AT with Buffalo Bore ammo?

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1202857757

This has been posted several times, but I thought that you may not have seen it. Also, if you're looking for more power in a small revolver, I have a Taurus 605 SH2 which is a titanium revolver the same size as the 442 and only weighs 1 ounce more (16 ounces) but it is a 357 magnum so you can shoot either 357 or +p 38 specials. It doesn't have a shrouded hammer but you can thumb it back for a great single action pull if you want.