Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Received some ammo from s&g ammo. Tried several types of german amd bosnian surplus plus 2 types of tula and one type of wolf. Surprisingly the cheapest surplus amd the cheapes russian ammo had the best results. The 165 gr tula was the most accurate shooting sub 1" groups. The german 2030 surplus was second at a bit over 1", MEN was good also. Wolf and PPU were all over.

[/URL][/IMG]
I pulled one of these this is 2030 surplus

[/URL][/IMG]
Tula 165 sp ammo
[/URL][/IMG]
MEN this ammo is boxer primed to boot.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Yea the RFB seems to like being a cheap date...:). I havn't come across any 168GR Tula. It was still in a steel case right?

I had thought a longer bullet like a 168 or 175 in a steel case might be the ideal to try and deal wih the long throat as the longer bullet would still be in pretty good contact with the case mouth after it has been pushed across the gap in the throat to engage the rifeling. I am thinking this would deliver the most consistent starts down the barrel...

·
Registered
264 Posts
Well ronmar, there's your cheap steel ammo and RFB combo again. That's just not right. Expensive gun...cheap ammo...best results...just wrong, I tell ya...LOL!:D

·
Registered
53 Posts
Has anyone tried round nose loads in the RFB? I understand that the low ballistic coefficient is not desirable, but it seems that the shape of the bullet may get the jacket to the lands with smaller jump than a spitzer loaded to the same COAL.
Found these that looked like they would fill some of my empty 308 brass collection.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/5...-308-diameter-180-grain-round-nose-box-of-100
Or maybe I am missing something, if so please let me know.

·
Registered
53 Posts
guess I need to pick some up when I get around to reloading 308. Wont be soon though, I still have a ton of steel case I haven't started on yet. When I do I will try to post results and comparison to the various stuff I have between now and then.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
guess I need to pick some up when I get around to reloading 308. Wont be soon though, I still have a ton of steel case I haven't started on yet. When I do I will try to post results and comparison to the various stuff I have between now and then.
Don't poo-poo the steel-case ammo just yet. I have found the Tulammo to be extremely consistent in other calibers. Granted it is very dirty burning stuff, (I don't know what kind of bat guano they use:rolleyes:) but the ammo comes off the same assembly lines that make machinegun ammo. You can't have a single misfire in 500 rounds of that stuff because it would jam the gun every minute:eek:.
The whole third world runs on it;).

·
Registered
427 Posts
The steel cased, 165gr soft points are my current "do it all" cartridge (before it was the 140's) They seem to have just started making them. Less than 50 cents a round. But based on the gel tests I've seen on youtube, 24 inches of penetration with good expansion and fragmentation early on, I would hunt big critters with them particularly at shorter ranges. Haven't tested the "legs" on them as I don't have anywhere to shoot longer than 100 or so.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.