Technical question #2 eye dominance, aim, sights

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by dgreer, Nov 26, 2007.

1. dgreer

dgreer New Member

Nov 14, 2007
    O.K., in my first range trip I found all my placements were left by a couple of inches. And the sights were very difficult to acquire. Then, when just 'pointing and shooting' everything was low and left. I found that in my natural grip on the gun my wrists just point that way. Is this just a muscle training issue where practice will let 'muscle memory' take over?

I have since determined that I am right eye dominate and since I should shoot with both eyes open, exactly what should my sight picture be?

Finally, in order to help me get the muzzle pointing on target more quickly I painted my sights with contrasting green and orange. In my home practice drawing this has helped a lot...BUT...as the room darkens the rear sight green paint becomes difficult to acquire...I believe white paint on the rear would be better...has anyone tested this?

Yes, I know that I have exposed myself as the ultimate beginner, but I want to become accurate, proficient and safe. Any of your help will be greatly appreciated. ::)

2. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Re: Technical question #2 eye dominance, aim, sigh

Don't go adjusting your sights too much yet. I am betting it is trigger control more than anything. How you grip the weapon, how hard the trigger is, whether you slap/pull/jerk etc (how you pull the trigger) will all affect where the ultimate shot is in relation to the sights. Once you have quite a few hundred rounds down range and are confident that this is how you will always shoot this weapon, then adjust sights as necessary. This is all part of becoming competent with your weapon and why its generally not acceptable for someone to throw three mags down range and say they are fine with their new weapon, no matter how experienced they are!

Side Story - when I first put a rail light/laser on a full size pistol I have and took it to the range (woods) with wifey I thought it was ALL WRONG as I was constantly hitting low and right of where I aimed. When I commented to wifey that I needed to adjust it she asked whether it should be hitting "where the laser was when you started pulling the trigger or where it actually was when the gun went bang because it is hitting exactly where the laser is when the gun goes bang..." Trigger control bit me in the butt.

Site picture on a three dot sight should be will all three dots lined up in a horizontal row and the front (center) dot immediately OVER THE TOP OF (not above or below) the spot you want to hit. You should be focussing ONLY on the front dot of the pistol and your rear dots and target will both then be slightly blurry.

-Scott

3. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006

DON'T FRET IT. In an armed security and tactics class I took a month or so ago the instructor asked at the beginning of the range time if any of us had ever had "official training" on how to "sight a sight picture using dots." It was amazing how many had not (including myself).

-Scott

4. dgreer

dgreer New Member

Nov 14, 2007

During my research I found this thread:

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-3744.html

This might spark a good discussion. During a quick check with my P3AT I find that if I focus on the sights I see two out of focus targets. When I shut my weak eye, I see that the right side target is the correct one.

If I focus on the target, I see two sets of out of focus sights. Then when closing my weak eye, I see that the left set of sights is the correct one. I guess with a little research I've answered my own question...go figure. ;D

Maybe this is really basic; or maybe it will help someone else.

Love the forum,
    DG

5. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005

I just had a pair of lenses made with dominant right lense focused at 18" and the left at 30'. thus my dominat eye alone is clear pistol sights, fuzzy target, then my left eye is clear target (with offset pistol). the combined sight picture is great for the first few seconds, till the eyes start fighting