Tech HELP!

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Gramps300, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Gramps300

Gramps300 New Member

Apr 21, 2009
    :( I field stripped my new P3AT to clean it, and now I can't get it back together.  I don't see anything that looks like the hammer block or it's spring looking down into the frame/grip, and there is something slightly raised at the side of the frame, about 1" from the rear (ejector?).  I can't find any instruction for a complete tear down/reassemble so I can see what goes on down in the nether regions, and I'm stumped.  I hate to send it home after just getting my P40 back, but that's the only option I can see unless someone here has a clue or two to send my way.  If I hadn't cleaned it, it would probably still be working like a champ. :(

Any and all hints will be happily entertained!

2. Gramps300

Gramps300 New Member

Apr 21, 2009
    Follow-up. It was the extractor keeping the slide forward, but even after getting over that hurdle, I'm still about 1/8" shy of getting the slide all the way back, so pbviously can't rack it.

3. WyoShooter

WyoShooter New Member

Nov 22, 2008
  4. burley

burley Active Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    Have ya taken the springs and guide rod out and tried to just put the slide on to find where it is binding?

5. Rubb

Rubb New Member

Jun 19, 2006
    Did you possibly skip #6?

Kel-Tec P3AT second generation basic field strip

1. Remove magazine from gun

[​IMG]

2. Check the chamber and MAKE SURE IT’S NOT LOADED.
    3. Check the chamber and MAKE SURE IT’S NOT LOADED.

[​IMG]

4. Slightly lift the take down pin with fingernail, this will allow room for next step.

[​IMG]

5. Place flat head screwdriver under the edge of the takedown pin.
    I like to wrap mine with electrical tape to avoid scratching the finish.

[​IMG]

6. Pry the take down pin up and out, [highlight]place finger on both sides of pin to avoid dis lodging the pin spring [/highlight]as per Kel-Tec instructions, set pin aside.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Remove the slide by sliding forward and off.

[​IMG]

8. Remove guide rod with springs, be cautious the springs are under tension.

[​IMG]

9. Remove barrel by sliding forward, lift straight up and out.

[​IMG]

10. Remove the two springs from the guide rod.

[​IMG]

Now you have the slide, barrel, guide rod, springs and take down pin.

[​IMG]

11. Remove the ejector from the frame, set aside somewhere safe, this part has a tendency to disappear.

[​IMG]

The basic field strip is complete, clean and lube well, reassemble in reverse order.

[​IMG]

6. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    If you pulled the trigger prior to or after the slide was removed, you will need to thumb the hammer all the way back and it should stay nearly straight up. with the hammer foward, it will stop the slide

7. Gramps300

Gramps300 New Member

Apr 21, 2009
    I thank y,all.  The pictures and instructions were very enlightening.  They must have been written in the days of G1, as the part 194 doesn't exist in my gun or the manual illustration.  I have it back together and it's working as far as I can tell in the house.  It is after 10PM, and I don't think a neighbor a half mile away would appreciate me taking target practice.  That will have to wait until tomorrow.  I am concerned about the comment that the ejector will fall out.  I can't move mine, but don't know if that's a failure or another difference between the G1 and G2.  My manual does show it as being on the table after field stripping, so I'm guessing I have a problem still.  Seems to eject OK, but the real test will be tomorrow.

8. Little_Z28

Little_Z28 New Member

Jun 24, 2009
    The ejector doesn't have to come out. Your best bet is to leave it in there if it's tight, don't try to pry it out. It'll just want to fall out later on down the road, and there's no need to remove it 99% of the time. Then you'll have problems. I think they made them a tighter fit on the newer guns cause alot of people have lost them over the years during dissassembly and didn't realize it until they went back to the range.

9. Gramps300

Gramps300 New Member

Apr 21, 2009
    Success!  All is well with a 2" grouping of six rounds.  Now to install some real sights and also wait for the CT laser.  Life is good again with all three KTs up and running.  Once again, thanks to all.

10. Moose

Moose New Member

Jun 22, 2005
    Yes you'll want to keep an eye on that ejector in time, mine fell out, found it later in the carpet.
    I've thought of putting some locktite on it, but haven't yet.
    I now know to keep an eye out for it.

11. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    I check my ejector each time I clean it. It has never been out of the frame on mine. I haven't tried to remove it either. If you take it out it will fall out later and disappear. Why tempt Murphy? Leave it alone.

12. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Off topic replies have been moved to [link=http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1256353078]This Thread[/link]