Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
Saw one at the LGS yesterday. Didn't handle it at all, but man, that thing sure is itty-bitty. Almost ... not quite, but ALMOST looks smaller than the P365. Definitely in the same size group, though, and a bit smaller in height/length than a Shield, from what I could see. I forget what the price was right off hand, but I'm pretty sure it was under $500, which makes it good competition against the (grossly overpriced) P365 and Hellcat ... although I'd still rather have the Shield Plus, myself. It'll be even more impressive if the little boogers actually function reliably, too. :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Anyone,
if you found a compact you liked, and it came in 10 9mm or 12 .380 or 14 .32, which would you get?

yes, i know 9mm and .380 are nominally the same diameters. The argument is for capacity vs effectiveness. And no assumptions here...
I like my Ruger LC9s Pro with a 10 rd magazine for OWB carry. 7 rd mag for IWB. ALWAYS a spare 10rd magazine somewhere on me.

Even if Kel Tec came out with a competing firearm I wouldn't trust it until V2 was released.

·
Premium Member
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Picking up my GX4 from the FFL today. Been carrying the SIG P365 every day now for about 2 years and also have the Taurus G3C. I needed another gun like a hole in the head. :rolleyes:
I expect a range report comparing the GX4, P365, and the P11.

Pics too if you can. :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Super Moderator
10,053 Posts
I'd be very interested in a range comparison with the P365... particularly in the reliability, once the GX4 break in is complete, if needed.

I was looking for a P365 when the craziness hit and apparently there's no end in sight for the latest episode of Gunpocalypse. If nothing else, the GX4 should help on the supply side.

I don't need another subcompact 9mm either, but apparently I'm trying to "collect the entire set". :)

The GX4 looks very nice and ticks most of the boxes. Hopefully, Military Arms Channel will get one soon and make a review video.

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
While I never had an issue with function on the two different ones I've had, the G43 can't compete with these pistols anymore, really. Six +1 capacity in the same size and almost the same weight that others are getting 10+1 or more (and some for significantly less money). Glock's sorta becoming the Harley-Davidson of pistols lately, just charging more for the glory of their name and "heritage" while selling stuff that isn't all that groundbreaking in terms of technology or innovation. (And Harley's latest ventures with the LiveWire electric bike and others targeting younger buyers don't seem to be quite catching on, either. Meanwhile, they're spiraling sadly toward bankruptcy... :( )

Here's to hoping Kel-Tec doesn't follow suit.

·
Super Moderator
10,053 Posts
I generally agree with Glock trading on their name, similar to Harley Davidson, and Glock missing the mark by not cramming a few more rounds into the G43 by making it a 1 1/2 stack instead of a single stack.

On the other hand, Glock has filed a patent for what looks like an innovative 5.56 semiautomatic rifle (just in time to be banned as one of those evil assault weapons), and Harley spun off their LiveWire as a separate motorcycle company and Harley's new Pan America adventure bike is getting some surprisingly good reviews.

My biggest Kel-Tec concern is that they'll keep making these awesome innovative guns that I love but will price themselves out of the market ($995 P50), or at least into boutique gun company status, with companies like Taurus upping their game.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'll stick with my 12+1 P11. No hate on Glock, I carry a 19 almost as often as the Keltec.

BTW, I think Harley has been flirting with bankruptcy for a while.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Here’s my opinion

Love taurus revolvers. They have their flaws, and they have their positive attributes. Otherwise good pistols.

But if we are talking about the autos that taurus brings to market of their own design... not the beretta 92’s and 1911 clones. I feel like these taurus guns are inherently for the group of people that fire/practice with it for 1-2 boxes of ammo and then it forever lives in that nightstand and sits there, hopefully loaded and ready.

However if you run/train with/and shoot your semi auto pistol - they do not hold up to other options on the market. In my opinion. emphasis on the OPINION part; I have not seen many of these pistols pass the 1000 round mark with out a failure of some critical part.
These guns work, but they don’t hold up to relevant use. And furthermore the quality of materials does not last like other pistols in the market.

For an entry level shooter with a limited budget, Taurus fits the bill. However if the same shooter gets serious and puts a high round count on these budget semi autos; almost all of them fail before 1000 rounds.

I hope the gx4 is a new chapter in durability and quality in this category for taurus.

-chef

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
The GX4 has a solid stainless steel frame and the slides go from front to rear. Looks like a very robust build. At any rate I probably fall into the occasional shooter these days. Time will tell I suppose. I'll update here when I've had a chance to take it to the range.

·
Premium Member
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
However if you run/train with/and shoot your semi auto pistol - they do not hold up to other options on the market. In my opinion. emphasis on the OPINION part; I have not seen many of these pistols pass the 1000 round mark with out a failure of some critical part.
These guns work, but they don’t hold up to relevant use. And furthermore the quality of materials does not last like other pistols in the market.

For an entry level shooter with a limited budget, Taurus fits the bill. However if the same shooter gets serious and puts a high round count on these budget semi autos; almost all of them fail before 1000 rounds.

I hope the gx4 is a new chapter in durability and quality in this category for taurus.
Maybe. We won't know for a while.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Here’s my opinion

Love taurus revolvers. They have their flaws, and they have their positive attributes. Otherwise good pistols.

But if we are talking about the autos that taurus brings to market of their own design... not the beretta 92’s and 1911 clones. I feel like these taurus guns are inherently for the group of people that fire/practice with it for 1-2 boxes of ammo and then it forever lives in that nightstand and sits there, hopefully loaded and ready.

-chef
Hmmm . So at a thousand rounds my PT111 or my G2c .. supposed to lay down ???
Wow ... don’t tell them about that ... being they both easily doubled.. or tripled that round count ...
Wow ... 🤣🤣🤣🤣
I can’t ever get over some of the crazy crap I read on these forums

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Some of the older Taurus guns had issues when they were still made in Brazil. Most of those issues have long since been corrected, but Taurus still struggles to overcome the old rumors and memory. I've had several over the years in a stable of hundreds of firearms varying in quality and price. Only issue I ever had with a Taurus was with an older model. Even then Taurus backed it, paid shipping both ways, replaced the broken trigger after thousands of rounds and sent it back to me in new shape. YMMV. The two I have at present are in the picture above and have yet to be fired. Time will tell.

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
My experiences with Taurus pistols have, for the most part, been pretty good. First one I had was a 24/7 Pro in 9mm, and it wasn't bad. Had some mag compatibility/fitment issues (I think maybe there was a Gen 1 and 2 mag) but I worked that out with a file and it worked fine. Others I've had included:

PT-22 Poly
709 Slim
Judge Public Defender Poly (2-tone silver/black)
Judge (standard, stainless)
Judge Public Defender (stainless)
627 Tracker
692 Tracker

I'm sure I forgot one or two others, but that's most of 'em. Only one of the above that gave me any issues was the 709 Slim. That thing was inaccurate as all heck, even from a bench. Even so, it always went bang, as did all of the others. The Judges all had some extraction issues with some types/brands of .410 shells, but that's kinda the nature of the beast and nothing exclusive to the Judge or Taurus (the S&W Governor I had at one point was the same way). The PT-22 trigger was horrendously heavy and its thin width dug into my trigger finger in such a way that it wasn't much fun to shoot in high volumes, but again, it did go pew-pew with regularity. Didn't shoot anywhere near 1k rounds through any of them except the PT-22, which probably did see over that many rounds (back when .22 LR was super plentiful and cheap) and still worked the same as new.

If I was looking for a lower-cost 9mm in the micro double-stack segment - and if I didn't have to worry about some stupid "approved list" for what I'm allowed to carry off-duty - I'd probably give the GX4 a close look, especially now that they've gotten rid of the goofy trigger with a crap-ton of takeup slack in it that all their prior pistols have had.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Just checked the official gx4 accessory page and I’m glad to see they are offering a longer spring and adapter to make the 11 round mags 13 without having to buy a whole new mag.

Lakeline is offering a GAP style adapter to help with control during firing, which might be a nice option too.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts