Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And now Taurus joins the trend and makes the P11 that Kel Tec should have. The GX4.

Here's an article:

Some pics.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Registered
584 Posts
I had a Taurus 709 slim (gave to my son) and still have a G2. Both have a horrible trigger system. I don't believe the GX4 will be any better.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Not really sure I can justify another 9mm in that size range.

Never had any issues concealing my G2C and since I switched to my Shield with Hyve accessorized spare mags, really not in the market.

Still, if actual street price drops to under $300 I may consider it. Maybe. If the reviews are favorable.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Looks good, just wondering if there's roll pins that have to be hammered out, in order to disassemble.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
So S&W and now Taurus, have put out existing guns with new grip assemblies holding higher capacity magazines.
Does this mean the single stack version's slides work on the new grip assemblies? Just wondering.

·
Premium Member
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had a Taurus 709 slim (gave to my son) and still have a G2. Both have a horrible trigger system. I don't believe the GX4 will be any better.
FWIW, the trigger has been totally reengineered as SAO, similar to the rest of the striker-fired plastic-fantastics. It is different than the G2G3 series DA/SA triggers. The Reviewers say they like it better than the G3 triggers. In particular, they say that the GX4 trigger does not have the same long-all-the-way-back trigger. If you like TFB, he reviewed it and liked the trigger.

To you point, you are quite right that the G2/G3 triggers are hard to love. I tried and couldn't.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Reactions: tzcomp

·
Premium Member
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not really sure I can justify another 9mm in that size range.

Never had any issues concealing my G2C and since I switched to my Shield with Hyve accessorized spare mags, really not in the market.

Still, if actual street price drops to under $300 I may consider it. Maybe. If the reviews are favorable.
FWIW, the GX4 is significantly smaller than the G2C.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Reactions: Sparky_D

·
Premium Member
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks good, just wondering if there's roll pins that have to be hammered out, in order to disassemble.
No idea. I haven't seen any "down to nuts and bolts" disassembly videos. It's not a concern for the typical user.

The concern for the typical owner is whether or not it will be reliable. I know that Taurus has supposedly made great strides in reliability, but they definitely took a black eye in the past and I've personally seen issues in years past with their product.

It also isn't red dot ready, though all the reviewers speculate that Taurus will soon come out with a "toro" version which is.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Reactions: mtn_chef

·
Premium Member
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So S&W and now Taurus, have put out existing guns with new grip assemblies holding higher capacity magazines.
Does this mean the single stack version's slides work on the new grip assemblies? Just wondering.
I doubt that the GX4 would. It has a redesigned trigger system. It is now Single Action Only and has a much shorter pull stroke according to the reviewers.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
At this point, Kel-Tec would only be laughed at if they tried to come out with an updated P11 - too little, too late. It would have to be something super-duper novel and such to really compete with the rest of the offerings on the market at this point. This GX4 looks like it would be a direct competitor to the Springfield Hellcat, based on capacity and size, and it's probably a lower price point, too. Seriously, if I worked for Kel-Tec, I'd be flat out embarrassed by the company's poor choice to neglect to update, and then kill off entirely, the P11. They missed a huge, HUGE opportunity.

That said, if Kel-Tec decided to come out with some kind of amazingly small, lightweight .45 ACP pistol with better capacity than the 5- or 6-round single-stack offerings on the market ... then they might have something. Better still, if they came out with a compact (mid-size) or full-size 10mm of some flavor, now that the cartridge is having quite the resurgence while .40 S&W fades in popularity ... THEN they might be able to make up for their P11 blunder.

Anyway. Congrats to Taurus for jumping on the bandwagon and giving folks yet another option in the tiny double-stack 9mm category. It looks kinda like a shrunken TX22 with a bigger bore, but it still ain't a bad lookin' pew-pew. I won't likely ever buy it, but still...

·
Premium Member
2,913 Posts
Anyone,
if you found a compact you liked, and it came in 10 9mm or 12 .380 or 14 .32, which would you get?

yes, i know 9mm and .380 are nominally the same diameters. The argument is for capacity vs effectiveness. And no assumptions here...

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
Ten rounds of 9mm is decent for CCW purposes - not amazing or outstanding, but decent. I would only downgrade to a smaller caliber if size/weight was so extremely critical that I absolutely positively could not carry it in/on my waistline and I HAD to pocket-carry it. In such a case, I already have a couple of Kel-Tec P32's, which I much prefer over any .380's. But since I can't technically carry them (not on the department's approved list), and I've adjusted to simply living with my Shield and G48 for concealed carry, I haven't really found many occasions where I wished for anything smaller/lighter.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Really interested in the 13 round extended mags. As is, it will be too small for me. Have larger hands and a two finger hold probably won’t do it. I think it’ll be a winner.
Also wish kt would get a p-11.2 on the market

·
Registered
640 Posts
No idea. I haven't seen any "down to nuts and bolts" disassembly videos. It's not a concern for the typical user.
One reason I favor Glocks, you can disassemble them to the smallest part using only a Glock tool, a pen, car key or a twig if you have to....the two pins in my Glock push out easily by hand, no hammering out frame pins or messing with roll pins to get at the extractor, no need for a screwdriver with a TorxPlus 10...still, love my little P32 for its size and weight, it's with me most everywhere.

Love the ads on here, too...make me wanna stand up and salute that!

·
Registered
584 Posts
That 13 round mag sure looks a lot like my G2C mags.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts