Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Interesting addition; if I was a Taurus fan this would float my boat.

·
Premium Member
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice. I have the original 856. Here is my review of it. Let me know if you want to see a review of the Defender and I’ll make it happen.

I would like that that, but I Don't think its worth your investment unless you just want a 3", and who wouldn't?
What I really want to know is if S$W J-frame round but grips will fit the Taurus?
Thats actually a big dill for me cause I EDC on Desantis Clip-Grips.

·
Registered
8,425 Posts
I have a Taurus 731 Ultralite. My brother has the S&W Airweight. I know that we have swapped grips between the two. IIRC on one of the grips I may have had to use the Taurus hardware.

Another thing that is a drop in for the Taurus is the S&W lighter spring kit. I'm running the light trigger spring & the stock hammer spring.

I wish that Taurus made one of these in 7 shot 32 mag. I'm looking at the Charter Arms Professional. I'd rather have a Taurus.

·
Premium Member
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The .327, especially the Ruger SP101, is a great package. I want that sooo bad.
But due to limited .327 availability, I will still take a 6/.38 over a 6/.32. But following the same logic, I would take a 7/.32 over a 6/.38, in the same size package.
The SP101 would be my trail gun. It is a beast for a small revolver.

·
Registered
8,425 Posts
I do wonder how much larger the cylinder is on the 856. The cylinder on my 6 shot 731 is the same as the 5 shot 38.

·
Registered
6,619 Posts
Seems like it would be a darn-near-ideal size for a wheelgun. The 3" barrel is long enough to give you useful velocity and sight radius, but still plenty easy to conceal, and the rounded grip butt shape should conceal well (but still big enough to allow for a full grip). The G10-looking grip on one of those models looks especially neat-o.

Only downer is that it's not available in .357 Magnum. Given, I'd GENERALLY only carry .38 +P if I was rocking a revolver for carry, but it'd be nice to at least have the option of .357 in the same gun ... even if only for the purpose of range time amusement. :)

·
Premium Member
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
20200622_120109.jpg
Itz not blazingly obvious, since Taurus doesn't make any effort to point it out, but there are 16oz alloy frames in that lineup.

I ass-U-me that if the alloy frames can't handle the .357, then to keep production costs low, they kept the steel frames +P as well.
.357 is for the larger frames anyway.
Even .38 spl is adequate for self defense.
@RAT76 the review link I attached has some cylinder measurements.

·
Registered
8,425 Posts
Hmmm, 1.41 in vs 1.34 in for the 5 shot. Another data point, the cylinder on a S&W Model 10 (6 shot) is 1.44 in. A Taurus 6 round 357/38+p cyinder is 1.5 and longer

Looks like it's pretty much a slightly smaller full size 38 cylinder stuffed in a J-frame. Probably couldn't put a magnum in there without new frame tooling.

I could well live with a a little over a 1/16th thicker. I just did some looking & covid buying seems to have cleaned out the CA 32s. Guess I'll have to wait.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I like Taurus revolvers...

I just picked up this used 8-shot .22lr 942 today
IMG_22062020_155315_(563_x_1000_pixel).jpg

I have the UL380 as well... A very light DAO that I carry

0104201620.jpg

Plus the matt stainless 4" .357 w/Brazilian hardwood Hogue-made grips

0123201318a.jpg

My 6.5" Judge rocks as well... Handles the .45 colt loads very well and the Hogue mono grip feels great

0310200937(1).jpg

My grown son absconded with my 6.5" Tracker M627 (not shown) in .357... It is a very accurate gun with awesome trigger

Oh... And here's my 9-shot 4" model 990 in .22lr (also sporting Hogue rubber mono grip)

1201191616.jpg

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
older discontinued 605 3inch barrel
5 shot .357

Previous owner bobbed the hammer and had a mild trigger job and springs done. It’s a great DOA pistol, and the kydex holster does awesome IWB. I carry hornady critcal defense .38 spec +P in it.

·
Registered
8,425 Posts
I also like Taurus revolvers. I've only got a couple but this one is pretty nice. It's a Taurus model 86 Target Master 38 spl, 6" barrel. It's a clone of a Smith & Wesson Model K-38 Target Masterpiece. Adjustable sights & mainspring. It's got Pachmayer Presentation grips which is what I have on all of my DA range toys.

Taurus 86 LH.jpg
Taurus 86 RH masked.jpg

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
B2EA1629-A0D3-41D8-9160-7A707BFA7796.jpeg

this is my other taurus revolver... 941 in .22 mag. While I love this gun in theory, out upon the range; it has not always behaved. It’s had to have work done for too light hammer strikes. And its red plastic front sight insert has disappeared.
The singe action shots are great. Double action is horrible, 12-14 pound trigger pull. I have yet to pull it apart and polish it’s insides and install the lightweight s&w j frame spring kit. Project number #37 on the bench....

·
Registered
156 Posts
I've wanting to try Federal 130 gr HST in my .38s to see how they do. Presently, and until I find something I am convinced is better, I carry Buffalo Bore 158 gr SW Hp standard pressure. It is the Short Barrel Low Flash load that gets an honest 850 fps from a 2 " barrel. The bullets are dead soft ( appear to be pure lead ) with gas checks. Keep in mind, this is the .38 load I chose for close range SD with small frame .38s, not a load I use for HD. In fact, for HD I prefer 3" 00 buckshot loads from a 12 gauge.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts