Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anybody got one? Being a recoil junkie i,m needing a 357 j frame.
I handled a 605 at a shop here in town, trigger was a lot lighter than my 638 but the lockup was'nt near as tight.

I would like a smith but for blasting a few 357s the taurus ought to do, won't be alot, haven't shot but a few loads out of my smith m66.

Was just about to work up the nerve to ask Connie to got to the gun shop when she heard the freezer making noise!!!

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Been looking at the same gun myself. I ain't no recoil junkie, but the extra punch in the shorter barrel comes in handy. Probably be at Academy Sports this weekend looking at the CIA or maybe the Defender. Ihad a 605 for a while. Kinda heavy to pack around for a snub, but a dead accurate one. Still have one old 3" heavy barrel Taurus 85 .38 spl. that is fairly accurate, but hardly ever use it. Too much weight for a 5 shot .38 spl. and bit long for poacket carry. Gotta get another 2" snub with the .357 bang. If I get one, it will probably be the Defender model. I could live with another .38 psl, snub, but already have 2 others. might even look at some .44 spl. snubs if they have any.

The new S&W J frames in any cal. are painfully high for me. I can think of better things to buy for that much cash. I am sure that Academy will have some high dollar new ones. The 637/638 come to mind or the 640/642. Hard to find any of the used J frames at a good price anymore. Actually had a guy came by my table with a like new Mod 36 Chief"s at the last show. Almost talked the guy out of it for 3 bills. I was using the Jedi nind game on him. It didn't work. Someone told him how much dealers were getting for them at the shows and he left with it.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Have had one for 5-6 yrs. Good trigger (better than new 638 I tried at LGS). Accurate with 158LHP+Ps and 125 GS 357s. I got a feeling it wouldn't hold up to a lot of full 357s. At 24oz/5rds, I don't carry it much anymore. Wish I'd got the stainless version for carrying 'round the farm.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Well, any luck with the big bang belly guns yet? Looked at some yesterday including the Taurus 651. I did not care much for it when I actually saw it.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Ordered the 651 today from cdnn for $299.99 will be here thursday.
Which one did you get? Liked the stainless one myself. Blue was o.k. They wer just bigger and heavier than I expected. Really didn't care for the poly model. Guess it isn't old school enough for me.:D

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's the ss one, Yeah the only one i found around here was a poly, i did'nt even drive to see it.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got it!!! I'm happy with it. The finnish ain't like a smith, it's not as good as a older taurus m66 i owned. but it's not bad. The grip does'nt line up good but i can live with it.

It had old dryed out oil over half of it, rem oil did'nt take it all off. Had a lot of lock tight under the crane where they put the barrel on.

The trigger is maybe a little heaver than my smith 638, it feels a little different. Its not like the trigger i tryed on the 605 awhile back, but i don't know what had been done with it either.

It shoots 38+ps to poa in little groups, i put 5 da rounds into 1 1/2" at seven yards, sa was a little better, the first couple 357 loads did really good, they opened up a little after the 4-5th load full but my had was really starting to feel it.

Think i still need something that really kicks hard, but it's neat having a 357 pocket rocket. Think it will make a good woods bumming gun

1 - 10 of 10 Posts