tapered pins

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by DontSaveHer, Dec 27, 2010.

1. DontSaveHer

DontSaveHer New Member

Apr 5, 2007
    I know the pins are tapered but I cant tell which side is larger to remove them from left to right or right to left.

2. Possumgravy

Possumgravy Guest

I don't believe they are tapered.

3. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Nope the pins aren't tapered. They fit tight and are held in place by friction.

4. clint_lnl

clint_lnl New Member

May 30, 2010
    N C
    I can't find it but did read at another forum (few months back) they told someone with a LCP to use P3AT pins since they are tappered and fit better. I am still looking

5. lop

lop Active Member

May 20, 2008
    I can't find it but did read at another forum (few months back) they told someone with a LCP to use P3AT pins since they are tappered and fit better. I am still looking[/quote]
    Dave, I'll handle this one...They ain't tappered...
    Lop

BTW, a small nail with the point ground off works as a fine punch, just be sure you use a left handed nail.  ;)[reason]keep it nice[/reason]

6. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
    NOT TAPERED.

I can't find it but did read at another forum (few months back) they told someone with a LCP to use P3AT pins since they are tappered and fit better. I am still looking[/quote]

7. clint_lnl

clint_lnl New Member

May 30, 2010
    N C
    I wonder if this is what he is talking about, I found this and yes there NOT TAPERED

You can also use an appropriate sized blunt punch. When pushing out frame pins note which side you pushed them out from.
    Press them out from the end of the pin that has the slight dip in the middle, if you look closely at the two ends of the pins you will see that there is a slight difference (although it realy does not matter it can be done from either side).

8. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    I found [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APnLVMFBDfo&feature=related]this youtube[/ame] and it shows the pins for the LCP being tappered (around 3:48)

0.148" and 0.155" OD

this is [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0BKwAN5RZI&feature=related]the youtube[/ame] that removed the pins from the LCP around 8:00

9. Agent-Adam

Agent-Adam New Member

May 19, 2010
    I believe my p11 experience shows the pins are slightly tapered down only a few thousandths towards the dimpled side. Perhaps the p3at is not. I was going to measure them when I get them out again.  They should easily come out either side though.

10. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Please do and post.

check my sig line ;)

11. Agent-Adam

Agent-Adam New Member

May 19, 2010
    If they were removed from the wrong side they might be resized but I will try.

12. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    The pins should have the same dimensions from end to end and can be removed/installed from either side, although pushing them out via the dimpled side is considered correct.

http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/disassembly.htm