Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Read through the majority of past posts, and haven't run across a definitive answer, so here goes. Are any of the aftermarket sights (Tandemcross, etc.) significantly taller than the OEM sights? Recently bought a gen 1, like it a lot, except for the sights. Got a tube cover, which makes it more comfortable, but incrementally harder to get a sight picture, and it wasn't great in the first place. Since it works for some and not others, I'm guessing it's a matter of anatomy, but to get my eye to align I end up tilting my head down to an uncomfortable degree and mashing my face against the tube. Obviously a taller front sight is trivial to home-make, but the rear sight is a little trickier, so before I embark on that adventure, I'd just as soon fork over some cash. Anyone know if any aftermarket rear sights are taller, and if so, how much?

Saw a post form MajorPandemic back in 2011 showing a machined adjustable rear sight, kinda wonder if a 3D-printed would be tough enough to stand up. Could probably access a milling machine and make it out of aluminum, but I'd rather buy than spend the hours (and hours).

·
Registered
39 Posts
Jim,

I have searched and as far as I know, no one makes a commercially available taller rear sight, much to my aggravation. I don't know if it will come to fruition, but I have a friend out West who hobby casts aluminum that I am going to try to interest in casting taller rear sights. He does machine work, but I suspect that if I can get him to cast batches of these that the best thing would be to have the critical procedures done and let the buyer hand finish it.

Many have bemoaned this problem,,,,,

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Need to find out

Don't know a lot about 3D printers, need to find out if the plastics are strong enough and solvent-resistant enough to work. I know at least one is not solvent resistant, which wouldn't be great when it comes time to clean the gun. I don't think I can get access to a sintered-metal printer.

A rough-cast aluminum replacement would be cool. Maybe leave the top blank so the user could either drill an aperture or cut a notch. Looks like no big deal to trim the handguard on the gen1 to provide clearance for a taller sight. A little polishing, a little flat-black paint, and we'd be in business.

Thought about turning 2 onto one, but not sure how well a bonded assembly would last. Was also thinking that a tapped aluminum plate could be screwed through the OEM aperture and an additional drilled hole, providing a taller aperture sight, with the option of returning to the OEM sight.

But I was really hoping to avoid a DIY project.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.