Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Zeke and Lefty with the Talking Lead gang met up with Kel Tec's Chad Enos to get hands on with the new and improved SUB2000 carbine in the high desert. The gun, unveiled earlier this year, is an almost complete reboot of the venerable and much-loved folding pistol caliber carbine that has been around for more than twenty years in one form or another.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqsnopaC024
We get a "first look" at Kel Tec's new Sub 2000 9mm. Chad Enos points out all the awesome new features and then Zeke and Lefty get some trigger time...It's #poofty!

Background on the SUB2000

Whereas last year Kel Tec brought a couple of bullpup rifles to debut at the Las Vegas SHOT Show, this year's entry by the Florida company consisted primarily of a surprising new addition to the line of a reboot of the popular SUB2000 pistol caliber carbine

The Old SUB2000, now commonly just referred to as the "classic 1st Generation" model, sprang from Kel Tec's 1996-era SUB9 folding carbine. This little pistol caliber carbine is in a class of its own due to its features. Chambered for pistol calibers and made of an aircraft grade aluminum tubing, steel 16.1-inch barrel, simple receiver, polymer forearm, sights and abbreviated buttstock, it could fold to a positively neat 16x7-inch platform. Unfolded the gun was 31-inches long and weighed 4.6-pounds unloaded. The grip assembly was made interchangeable to accept either the double-stack mags for the Smith and Wesson 59, Glock 17, or SIG P226 series 9mm handguns, which at the time were the three most popular on the market. This gun was called the SUB9 and it had a $700 MSRP, which adjusted for inflation in today's figures, is about $1100 smackers.

It was an interesting concept but just too expensive for what it was. With that in mind, Kel Tec soon added a Beretta magazine option to the other three available, added an option for a .40S&W variant, and replaced as many aluminum parts as possible with polymer. This had the effect of making the gun a half-pound lighter, an inch or so shorter overall and a lot more affordable. It could be field stripped into its basic components without tools. This evolutionary weapon was the (1st Gen) SUB2000

Kel Tec only recently updated their website and now has the new Second Gen version of the SUB2000 listed. Of course, the new gun shares the same overall concept-- that being a polymer-framed, foldable pistol caliber carbine in 9mm and .40S&W that is set up for either SIG, Glock, Smith or Beretta magazines to keep things simple. Other than that, the new rifle is radically different.

First off, Ver.2 has a 1.25-inch length adjustable stock, with built in points for a sling loops to give a little more length of pull if needed. Next, the receiver is all new, being made from a completely different mold that has been streamlined to help reduce production time while making the gun more ergonomic. The pistol grip is losing its old school SUB-9 style ergos for a new and improved PMR-30 style grip with a more solid magazine well. The forward grip includes very long Mil STD 1913 Picatinny rails top and bottom along with Magpul-MLok slots.

Mechanically speaking the trigger is improved, and the ejection port enlarged to allow fewer FTE malfunctions. Topping it are AR/M4 style aluminum front posts that hide a 1/28 factory threaded barrel underneath (squee).

Anyone have one yet? How do you like it? Drop it in the comments below.

Gun Firearm Shooting range Shooting sport Shooting

·
Super Moderator
10,100 Posts
I have two of the Gen 1 SUB-2000 carbines, and I bought a 9mm Gen 2 SUB-2000 almost two months ago and I love it. It's all of the great no-nonsense features of the Gen 1, with a LOT of popular customer suggestions and even some cool stuff that Kel-Tec engineer Ryan Williams thought of himself. The nitrided bolt tube was a great improvement that wasn't expected.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just received a Gen 2 sub 2000 9mm in exchange for a poorly performing Gen 1. The new rifle shot great without any malfunctions in approximately 500 rounds of various commercial and reloaded ammo. What really surprised me was the accuracy of the new rifle. At 50 yards using 115 grain Hornady HAP bullets I was able to put four rounds into a 1/2 inch from the bench using a 1x Primary Arms red dot sight. I never could do this with my Gen1 rifle. I have a photo of the target for any doubters out there. By the way, I found the neatest case for the rifle. It's a "Husky" 16 inch nylon laptop bag sold at Home Depot. It holds the folded rifle and 4 to 6 Glock big stick magazines inside the zippered case. It also has a shoulder strap that make carrying the a breeze and is pretty covert.

·
Registered
27 Posts
When I have to drive into Dallas to go to Baylor Hospital, "this"rides within easy reach. When one has to deal with the local population by changing a tire, or just traffic jams, It is comforting to have this level of protection handy. It reminds me of the days busting up Marijuana plantations where we all carried MP-5's. For all you older fellas out there,be always aware of your surroundings, as more assaults upon us, has been increasing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.