Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey I would just like to start out saying that I'm fairly new to guns, this is my first rifle purchase, anyway I took it to the range pretty much the day after I bought it and put like 100-200 rounds through it with some failures, I asked the clerks at the range what could be causing that and they said I should clean it, lube it, and adjust the gas system.

So I bought some stuff to clean it and when the deed was done while I was hammering a takedown pin a small ring came out, now no matter which pin I put in the hole it slides in and out very easily, it has even fallen out on me just picking it up, I've still got the ring but have no clue on what I should do now, I can't seem to get it back in

Is the solution now to just buy a new pin or what? and not sure if it matters but it was the pin hole located in the handguard, the forward most one.

·
Premium Member
3,135 Posts
Hi. The cir-clip fits in a groove in the plastic. It is what stops it from coming out, if you don't want them to come out. you can open the halves leaving the pins still in the holes. It makes for a semi-captive system. The clips also provide the resistance so no clip, they slide. You need to press the clip back in. A gun smith can do it. Don't loose it.

As for the other issues, well, all i can say is this is a Kel-Tec product. They are neat complex guns that are anything but mainstream. Expect some adventures and a learning curve.
This rifle, while very neat, has had failures with the gas piston, mag release, pic rail screws, extractor axis pin, and sear bar.
No, I wouldn't recommend this RDB as a first rifle, sadly. I think you might find it confusing and frustrating if you have the problems. Besides, I believe if you're going Black rifle, you ought to know your way around an AR15 first. What you learn from the AR will cary over to other rifles.

Find your sweet spot with the gas settings, run quality ammo (never cheap steel case), use P-mags and yes, apply lubrication, especially on the op rod front and rear and the bolt.

I hope you have good service from yours, many do. Just watch that piston and rail screws

1 - 2 of 2 Posts