takedown pin backing out

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by slomo, Jan 15, 2011.

1. slomo

slomo New Member

Dec 21, 2010
    The search results weren't conclusive about this problem. I have a brand new P3AT and the pin is backing out every 5 to 6 rounds. I know I am not the first to have this problem. Is there a fix for it or am I just out of luck?
    Thanks in advance for any replies.
    slomo

2. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    1. Check the pin for burrs or abnomalities that keep it from seating properly.
    2. Check that the frame holes are not wallowed out, thus allowing the pin to come out.
    3. Check that the polymer grip around the assembly pin is not bowed out preventing the pin from properly seating.
    What do you see?

3. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    with a brand new, yes you are the first to have a take down pin back out.

with the early take down pins , the retaining groove under the head was insufiecient, but that has been long since corrected.

other than the pin, if the catch hair pin spring gets out of kilter would prevent it from snapping in. this is accompanied with a buldge in the grip around the hole. the buldge and the mis orented spring will prevent it from locking in.

If the pin doesnot lock in where a gently pry causes it to come out, you should not shoot it. shootong with the pin not fully inserted into the other side of the frame will damage the frame by elongating the holes and then with the proper spring and pin, the pin can move radially and not stay locked in

4. slomo

slomo New Member

Dec 21, 2010
    [​IMG]

I realize this is a really sorry pic, it's the best I can get right now. What I'm seeing is the pin has a good, deep channel around it, the hole appears to be concentric, and the wire clip is seemingly a little better than halfway down in the hole. Meaning it's not sitting dead level, it sort of dips from right to left. Pin snaps in with a healthy click and it can't be pulled out by hand when the gun is not being fired ( unless you take some pressure off of it by moving the slide back and use a shell casing.) This is just not optimal at all, is it? Thanks for the help and feel free to keep it coming. Maybe I can get back to the range tomorrow to try it again.
    slomo

5. HET45

HET45 New Member

Mar 6, 2005
    If the polymer grip isn't bulged out and all the other suggestions check out then you have a choice to either send it back or do a search on how to disassemble the frame from the grip.

At that point if you do, you can put a bend on the spring that holds the take down pin to make it a tighter fit to the pin and all your problems will be solved.

6. slomo

slomo New Member

Dec 21, 2010
    I gave the clip pin in the frame a gentle nudge with a pointy tool. I hope that cures the problem. If not, I've pretty much resigned myself to having to send it back to KT. :'(

slomo

7. slomo

slomo New Member

Dec 21, 2010
    Well, shucks! I took it back to the range today and had a little hope at the end of 6 rounds as the pin had not backed out. I was watching it pretty closely and just before round 12 it was well beyond the "free play" zone. I am just dejected. I actually owned a Ruger LCP and sold it to buy the Kel Tec. Hmmm...I wonder how it's doing nowadays...

Oh well, thanks for all the tips and ideas. It looks like a trip to the Mother Ship is upcoming. I figger it could easily run over 10% of the new price of the gun. I'm not sure what that says. On a more upbeat note, I do plan to drive a little tomorrow to the authorized dealer of those Austrian pistols that everyone likes so well and pick one up for the LEO price of a whopping $398. Maybe I can find one with nightsights...(sigh) another $55. Life goes on.
    Thanks again.
    slomo

8. Sangueffusor

Sangueffusor New Member

May 13, 2007
    Indiana
  9. slomo

slomo New Member

Dec 21, 2010
    That's a good idea. I'll try it. Could you tell me more about the overnight shipping thing? I haven't heard that before.
    Thanks.
    slomo

10. Sangueffusor

Sangueffusor New Member

May 13, 2007
    Indiana
    Click on the red text in my post to visit this page: http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/shipping.htm

11. slomo

slomo New Member

Dec 21, 2010
    I just spoke with the Mothership and they are sending me a new take down pin as well as a new whatever it's called, the safety pin looking thing that the take down pin catches on. Fat lotta good that last part will do me. I wouldn't have the foggiest idea of how to go about installing that item. Maybe the shop I bought the gun from can do it...sez he can do anything. Gee, I've never met anyone like that before...hmmm....we'll see. But anywho, I have to give KT props or whatever the word is nowadays for great service after the sale. The tech said that we should try the easy route first, which sounded like he was saying it would be perfectly kosher to send it back in if that doesn't fix it. I'm pleased.
    slomo

12. slomo

slomo New Member

Dec 21, 2010
    The new takedown pin seems to be working (fingers crossed.) I ran a box of target rounds through it this weekend and the pin stayed put. One thing that I may have done to inadvertently assist it is that I placed the gun on its left side each time I reloaded. I guess it's possible that I may have been reseating it each time but it's definitely not like it was. The smaller portion of this pin mike'd out a mere three thousandths of an inch larger but maybe that's all it needed. So far, so good.

slomo