Take down pin working itself out

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Navigator, Dec 19, 2007.

1. Navigator

Navigator New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    :-/ After going through about 150 rounds with a 2% failure to extract rate, took the pistol home and pulled and cleaned the extractor and fireing pin since it was handy. Any how back to the range and now have the takedown pin coming adrift after 3-4 shots. Can't see a problem. Anyone had a similar problem?
    Navigator

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Welcome to KTOG.

First, does our pin have a shallow groove just under the head.  When you install the pin you should feel hear a little snap that last hair when it goes in.
    It could be possible the hair pin spring that fits into that groove has jumped out of place.  there is usually a slight buldge in the grip around the hole if it has.  With the pin removed, you should see the hair pin spring across the bottom of the hole.

3. burley

burley Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    Just guessing,you have a slight bulge in the left side of the grip along the slide near the assembly pin location. Did ya support the grip on each side of the assembly pin when removing or just pry it out? Could be an assembly pin spring(part #284) popped out of place if ya did. If so you will need to remove the grip from the frame and put the spring back in place.
    http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/p3atparts.html

http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/assemblypin.htm

http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/disassembly.htm

4. Navigator

Navigator New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Yes the pin does have a shallow groove and I can see the spring across the bottom of the hole. Don't feel any sort of click tho. Never have and I've had it apart several times for F&B ,cleaning etc. I first thought that maybe the entire frame had spread somehow but if it has it certainly isn't obvious. Maybe should just order another pin from Kel-Tec and see how that works. Wont be able to check for a while tho.
    Navigator ( presently offshore of Falkland Islands)

5. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    ?

Is it possible the pin is not going in enough for that shallow groove to go past the hair spring.

You should be able to push the head of the pin so it touches the slide.  and then only come out the thicknes of a case rim with just slight finger nail pull.

IF you are mechanically inclinded (about leveage pulling pin)  try putting the pin in with just the frame.  It might be possible there is a little flashing around the grip hole.  I just check mine and the pin head hits the grip plastic just before head touches slide.

Also looking down on the frame/grip with the slide off, it might observe if the hair pin has been pulled out of its groove, buldging the grip out

6. Navigator

Navigator New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Gentlemen,
    Thank you very much. I think I will be able to solve the problem as soon as I get home. or at least get down to the root cause which is almost as good. Again thanks to the both of you.

What a fun little pistol to shoot. (in moderation)

Regards,
    Navigator