Tacticool vs MCARBO recoil buffer

Discussion in 'Sub9 and Sub2000 Rifles' started by Diamondstarmonster, Apr 5, 2019.

1. Diamondstarmonster

Diamondstarmonster Member

Feb 18, 2015
    Columbia, SC
    Just got ahold on a brand new S2K and I was curious if anyone has a comparison between the Tacticool Recoil buffer insert vs. the MCARBO recoil buffer insert. They look completely different in design and function, they also look to b made out of 2 different materials. So that makes me wonder if one does a better job of reducing felt recoil then the other? I know it’s only a 9mm but that heavy bolt slapping that hard plastic factory buffer can’t feel great. I haven’t shot it yet but I’m going to the range this Sunday and will make my decision to buy a reducer or not but if I choose to reduce then my next choice is, which brand do I go with. Yes, I am over thinking it but I am bored at the moment and was curious if anyone has experience with both buffers?

2. Steve Saunders

Steve Saunders Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2018
    I only have shot mine with the Tacticool buffer. It does help and I imagine the MCARBO does as well. You lose the ability to lock the bolt open with the Tacticool, but I *think* the MCARBO retains that ability. Tacticool is like very stiff foam rubber with a metal washer at the end. I think the MCARBO is a urethane bumper. If you order other MCARBO goodies/upgrades, then I'd suggest trying that buffer and see if you're happy. I'm OK with the Tacticool, but I would like to have the ability to lock the bolt open.

Diamondstarmonster likes this.

3. Diamondstarmonster

Diamondstarmonster Member

Feb 18, 2015
    Columbia, SC
    I just received the MCARBO recoil buffer and it pretty much just feels like a rubber bumper, to anyone who was curious but didn’t wanna buy it to find out. Lol. I still don’t have much info on the Tacticool recoil buffer but I don’t wanna lose the “bolt lock back” feature so MCARBO it is. Range report coming soon. Thanks to anyone who chimed in.

Steve Saunders likes this.
  4. Dubar

Dubar Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
    Steve Saunders likes this.
  5. Moondog

Moondog Member

Apr 29, 2018
    Does anybody know if the MCARBO is some special kind of material, like Sorbothane? It appears to be some harder type of synthetic rubber?

I modified a generic AR-style M4 buttstock pad and added a thin piece of foam (the kind they use for yoga mats) between it and the buttstock and it works like a charm.

6. BJK

BJK Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2017
    central Maine
    Full disclosure... Consider everything. But even if you buy it and don't like it it's not a $100 part. Combine it with other parts and you might not even even notice the shipping.

I have one somewhere but I don't know who made it. The problem I had with it was the inability to lock the bolt back. I didn't think that would be all that important and that (for competition) the softer recoil would be a benefit. I found out that in practice I was wrong. I needed and missed the lock back and I noticed no change in the butterfly fart recoil, probably because I use other means to control it.

But if you try one could you please report back?

7. Moondog

Moondog Member

Apr 29, 2018
    I suspect you're right. It appears they've changed their material or manufacturing process to make something harder and more rigid as posted by Guns Coast to Coast on Youtube.

8. mrwug

mrwug Member

Jul 18, 2020
    Stopped considering the Tacticool after seeing that it doesn't allow the bolt to lock open. Total deal-breaker for me.

Moondog likes this.
  9. UZIFORME

UZIFORME Member

Dec 1, 2004
    Not having the Tacticool nor knowing how over long it is or how much it reduces recoil. but the bolt has plenty of of overtravel after ejection is there a reason one can not just dremel the hold open notch forward enough more for the lock open to work?