Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Grand Poobah
2,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My SW40ve has a little sister.The one on the right is the 40 cal.
It has the night sites, the SW9ve has a regular Glock site for free,courtesy of my local gun shop.Bless those local gun shops. I paid him with tomatoes..
I searched the S&W forum and I believe I can convert the 9mm to a dedicated 40 cal,if I wanted to.There is a lot of yes you can ,no you can't, I did it...debate if this can be done.
The slides are the same width,but the 9MM frame has a couple of ribs inside the grip that can/could be sanded down a little to let the wider 40 cal mag be inserted.
The 9mm mag just rattles around in the 40 cal frame and can be shaken out.
It would be harder to make a 9mm out of the 40 cal frame. you would have to glue a small rib on the mag or inside the frame to make it work.I know the barrels can't be switched. You can place the 9mm in the 40 cal slide but there is a lack of a good lockup on the back of the chamber/slide,not a good thing.
The 9mm slide could be opened up just a little to make room for the 40 cal barrel, but then it would make the 9mm barrel a loose fit. Again another not a good thing.
I don't know why S&W did not use the same mag body grip width for both calibers.
Sure would be a lot easier to switch calibers like the Glock,with just a upper and a matching mag.It must of been one of those "uh we copied almost everything about a Glock let's not do this we might get sued' which they did but for another reason.

Waiting for the weather to cool off some so I can get some shooting in.
PS:Thanks to cc-hangfire for the 9mm mags and to HitManX for the spring kit.

Reactions: cc-hangfire

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I was having problems at the range one day. My SD40 was all over the paper, even keyholing. Freaked me out.

Until I checked and realized I had put the SD9 mag in her.

I never shoot them side by side anymore.

·
Premium Member
4,986 Posts
I was having problems at the range one day. My SD40 was all over the paper, even keyholing. Freaked me out.

Until I checked and realized I had put the SD9 mag in her.

I never shoot them side by side anymore.
I bet you didn't pick up the brass to reload either. ;)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
My SW40ve has a little sister.The one on the right is the 40 cal.
It has the night sites, the SW9ve has a regular Glock site for free,courtesy of my local gun shop.Bless those local gun shops. I paid him with tomatoes..
I searched the S&W forum and I believe I can convert the 9mm to a dedicated 40 cal,if I wanted to.There is a lot of yes you can ,no you can't, I did it...debate if this can be done.
The slides are the same width,but the 9MM frame has a couple of ribs inside the grip that can/could be sanded down a little to let the wider 40 cal mag be inserted.
The 9mm mag just rattles around in the 40 cal frame and can be shaken out.
It would be harder to make a 9mm out of the 40 cal frame. you would have to glue a small rib on the mag or inside the frame to make it work.I know the barrels can't be switched. You can place the 9mm in the 40 cal slide but there is a lack of a good lockup on the back of the chamber/slide,not a good thing.
The 9mm slide could be opened up just a little to make room for the 40 cal barrel, but then it would make the 9mm barrel a loose fit. Again another not a good thing.
I don't know why S&W did not use the same mag body grip width for both calibers.
Sure would be a lot easier to switch calibers like the Glock,with just a upper and a matching mag.It must of been one of those "uh we copied almost everything about a Glock let's not do this we might get sued' which they did but for another reason.

Waiting for the weather to cool off some so I can get some shooting in.
PS:Thanks to cc-hangfire for the 9mm mags and to HitManX for the spring kit.
I was able to make the .40-9mm swap.
Try the S&W M&P series. Used a lone Wolf conversion barrel.

·
Grand Poobah
2,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The M&P is a different make/model of gun.
If it was,I could use either caliber of slide just by changing the magazine.
The M&P mags are the same size on the outside,the Sigma's are not.
The outside dimensions of the 40cal mag are larger than the 9MM mag. I have put the 9mm slide/upper on the 40cal frame using the 40cal mag loaded with 9mm.
I will be trying this combo out maybe this weekend.
If it does not work, then I might turn them both of them into 40cals, by sanding out the two ribs inside of the 9mm frame,that keep the 40cal mags from being inserted all the way up.
That is the only difference between the 40cal frame and the 9mm frame.

·
Grand Poobah
2,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The 9mm and 40cal frames has two parallel ridges that runs up the middle of the inside of the frame on both sides.The 40cal ridges are sanded off on the magazine catch side.
The 9mm ridges are not, that is what stops the 40cal mag from being used in a 9m frame.
At least that is all the difference that I can tell.There might be a problem with the mag catch , but I will deal with that issue if it becomes a problem.
If the 40cal mags work well with 9mm ammo,I will sell or convert my 9mm frame to 40 cal and buy more 40cal mags and keep the 9mm upper.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.