Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m relatively new to the pistol shooting world and I had some trouble getting a proper grip on my SW MP 9 so I tried putting some skateboard grip tape on the left and right hand side of the grip and a piece underneath the trigger guard. This really helped me get a proper grip on the gun and made it feel more secure in my hand. After adding the tape I went to the range and refined the placement of the tape and I’m currently using the grip tape placement below.

I used Black Magic skateboard grip tape. Her are some pics.

http://www.gothamsurvival.com/sw-mp-9mm-grip-tape/

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Don't you just love simple solutions. Looks like some good shooting there. And by the way, I'm jealous of your M&P. Hope to have one some day.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a nice pistol. I tried it out in .45 as well and it was great. The 9mm is more affordable so I went with that.

·
Registered
152 Posts
It's my personal favorite plastic pistol
I'd be afraid of what that sand paper would do to my thumbs and hand though after extended range sessions of 500-600 rnds in a weekend class

I'm jealous of your M&P. Hope to have one some day.
CDNN runs a sale quite often on the full size 9mm for $425 .
Might even be in this months circular

..L.T.A.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The tape does tear up my hands after a 100 rounds or so. When I take classes I usually wear gloves so it's not much of an issue.

·
Registered
152 Posts
The tape does tear up my hands after a 100 rounds or so. When I take classes I usually wear gloves so it's not much of an issue.
ahh..gloves ...

I did a weekend class last summer .
we shot appx 600 rnds
One of the guys had a Glock 23 with factory RT (rough texture) frame
he was hurtin' the morning of the second day .
and had a tough time finishing training

donno why he didn't think to bring or buy shooting gloves

BTW, that's nice job on the tape up.
square, straight , clean and even ...well done

..L.T.A.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
so what does the tape under the trigger guard do? i use the skateboard tape on my glock 27 but i only have it on the sides and front of the grip.

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
I like the minimalist approach on the sides for just the thumb and index fingers.
I'm Also wondering about the under-side of the trigger guard. :confused:

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
You can get the textured rubber grip material that goes on th same way, but doesn't remove skin when shooting, or wear holes in clothing (or your side) whn carrying it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I like the minimalist approach on the sides for just the thumb and index fingers.
I'm Also wondering about the under-side of the trigger guard. :confused:
I put the tape underneath the trigger guard to remind me to place my left index finger under the trigger guard instead of in front of it. I'm about ready to take off the tape and start shooting without it. I was using the tape as training aid. It helped me put my hands in the same place every time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts