surface rust on slide

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Holiday009, May 30, 2011.

1. Holiday009

Holiday009 Guest

I have been pocket carrying my p3at for about 3 months, starting to notice some surface rust on slide. Is this a common problem ?
    I wipe the little gun down several times a week with Rem oil but doesn't seem to help much. Can a H/C slide be purchased from kel-tec ?

2. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Put some Rem Oil on some very fine steel wool and get the rust off. Then coat the slide in some Johnson's Past Wax. That seems to work well. When in stock, Kel-tec will do a hard chrome exchange for the slide and barrel at a cost of $75.

3. Holiday009

Holiday009 Guest

Ok. Thanks for the info, I'll try that later today.

4. Toney_D

Toney_D Active Member

Aug 14, 2010
    Oklahoma
    I really like rem oil for cleaning of finger prints or really strong solvent out of your bore but i do'nt use it to prevent rust. I use hoppes elite.

5. torrent

torrent Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2006
    One thing you might want to consider is the holster material. Leather is bad about letting moisture get to the gun. Maybe you could try and inexpensive Uncle Mikes or Blackhawk holster and see if that helps. My leather tuckable gets put in the closet when the weather gets warm and I start sweating more. A good synthetic material with a moisture barrier may be what you need.

6. gbarber010

gbarber010 New Member

Jun 21, 2005
    Prattville, AL
    The Kydex material has been very good to my P3AT. no rust. Stellar Rigs have a good selection of pocket holsters.

7. Holiday009

Holiday009 Guest

The steel wool with Rem oil worked great ! Cleaned up the slide real nice. Thanks for the tips on the holsters, I think part of the problem is I just use the belt clip and with the sweating it makes for a bad situation !