Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not looking for legal advice; just open to some input.

I would like to get a can for one or maybe a few rifles and probably pistols.

It is legal to own in the state that I live and I found a dealer pretty close.

If you get a suppressor for a 45 cal pistol, will that also fit (assuming the same thread size) smaller calibers down to a 22?

Same with rifles? If I get one for a .30 cal will it fit a .22?

Is that not wise to do if so?

_____

I have a flat topped ar that I love but do not have a threaded barrel. Should I buy a new barrel or ship this one off? To me, kprice would be the biggest factor (Remington VTR R-15 predator)

What is a fair price to pay? I hate being gouged.

Any input?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Ive looked into it a bit if i remember right you are allowed only 1. $200 license for your 1 registered can. Theirs a real good forum of just this kinda thing, cant remember the site but if u google youll find it. Silencer talk or something i think

·
Registered
63 Posts
Just googled it, go to silencertalk.com/forum. Everything about cans u want to know.

Lol i had one dang near built then found out the rules and the fact my state dont allow them...so that project got trashed.glad i didnt have bunch of money in it

·
Registered
192 Posts
You can almost always use a can on a smaller caliber weapon (of similar make). You will not get the same performance however unless you are using a can with wipes. You have to keep in mind also that it is a bad idea to try using a 9mm pistol can on a .308 rifle, even though it is a smaller caliber since the pistol can isn't designed to handle that much expanding gas.

The best idea is to contact the manufacturer of the can you are interested in and ask them about compatible hosts.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I wanted a can with 1/2x28 threads to shoot 5.56 and 22lr through the same can on my rifles. My research and advise I received says don't do it. Most (and I assume all) .223/5.56 cans do not come apart for cleaning. A lot of the 22lr cans do. All though you can shoot 22lr through a 5.56 can the dirty 22lr rds with reek havoc on the 5.56 can of which you can't clean effectively. And I think it goes without saying shooting .223/5.56 through a 22lr can is not a good idea either.

I'm looking at the new Gemtech G5-22 for the 22lr's and the G5 for the 5.56's.

Just what I've come to learn. 2 cents and worth what you pay for it.

http://www.gem-tech.com/store/pc/-22LR-c13.htm

http://www.gem-tech.com/store/pc/5-56-MM-22-250-204-Ruger-c9.htm

·
Registered
387 Posts
I don't know about other calibers, but like firedog said, it's my understanding that switching a can between a .22 and a .223/5.56 isn't the best of ideas. I just put in the paperwork for a Sparrow SS for my .22 needs, and later in the year I'm going for a Saker for my .223/5.56 rifles

·
Registered
660 Posts
Suppressors are manufactured for performance based on caliber, pressure, volume, and back pressure (auto-loaders). Pistol caliber suppressors and high power rifle caliber suppressors should not be interchanged. A 45 caliber pistol can on a 308 rifle will get destroyed. That's been proven. The volume of the pistol suppressor and it's inability to capture and slow gasses is the problem. Also, do not use a 22 caliber rimfire can on a 22 caliber centerfire rifle. You could however move a 22LR pistol can to a 22LR rifle and vice versa with no ill effect because the round is exactly the same. Cans made specifically for locked breach applications don't necessarily work on other platforms. There is a lot of diversity in design based on application including volume, materials, baffle design, etc...

5/8x24 is the standard thread pattern in the US for muzzle attachments (brakes, flash hiders, suppressors).

Suppressor legality is state by state. The ATF handles the federal tax stamp. You need to either get a local LE sign off for personal ownership, form a NFA Trust to put the suppressor in, or form a LLC to own the suppressor. Research each. They all have pros and cons. I use a LLC for a variety of reasons. You do not need to inform the ATF when traveling outside your state with a suppressor. However, you'll need to know what the state rules are for possession for each state you move through.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I have several suppressors, and I really like the AAC Ti-Rant 9mm suppressor. It works very well on 9mm carbines and pistols, plus, I can use it on .22 or .17 rimfire, as well as subsonic 300 Blackout setups. They have variosu thread adaptors available, but the 1/2-28 works with most of my firearms.
If you have access to even a modest shop, you can build your own upon receiving the blessing (and tax stamped Form 1) from the ATF...

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
9mm can will perform better on 22lr than a 45 can

but 22lr is dirty, dirty, dirty and will coat the inside of any can with gunk

it is generaly considered best practice to have a take apart can for 22lr but probably not absolutely necessary depending on the volume you shoot

the "sweet spots" in cans are 22lr, 9mm and 7.62, these three will cover a wide variety of pistol and rifle hosts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Just remember...higher to lower pressure, no problem. I use my 30 cal can on my 5.56, but it's less than desirable for two reasons; 1. size and 2. not as effective.

I personally wouldn't use a higher caliber can on a 22LR because of the dirty powder issue. Most 22LR cans come apart for cleaning. Most other cans do not.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Just remember...higher to lower pressure, no problem. I use my 30 cal can on my 5.56, but it's less than desirable for two reasons; 1. size and 2. not as effective.

I personally wouldn't use a higher caliber can on a 22LR because of the dirty powder issue. Most 22LR cans come apart for cleaning. Most other cans do not.
+1 agreed...

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks a bunch for this information. I need to go check out the dealer in Albuquerque and see what they have and get the paperwork rolling.

I was going to do it this upcoming weekend but I blew my budget on a four wheeler (I am a sucker for good deals!).

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Have a meeting with a lawyer tomorrow.

In short, instead of purchasing a suppressor and paying an individual tax stamp and getting finger printed and signatures if a trust is setup, a can may be purchased and not have to worry about paying individual tax stamps for additional cans.

Very excite! Now I need to research the brand, etc. I want after I get this paperwork rolling!

·
Registered
428 Posts
Have a meeting with a lawyer tomorrow.

In short, instead of purchasing a suppressor and paying an individual tax stamp and getting finger printed and signatures if a trust is setup, a can may be purchased and not have to worry about paying individual tax stamps for additional cans.

Very excite! Now I need to research the brand, etc. I want after I get this paperwork rolling!
I'm not understanding the bold'ed statement. Each NFA item has to have it's own stamp regardless of trust or individual purchase. You only need one trust but you will have to pay the $200 tax stamp fee for each NFA item. If someone is telling you different I suggest you contact BATFE.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Don't bother contacting the BATFE, anyone telling you don't have to pay the tax stamp for each NFA item is flat-out wrong and anyone selling you an NFA item without an approved Form 4 in hand is running the risk of getting both of you into quite a bit of hot water.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
+1

My NFA are all owned by a LLC but each requires it's own individual stamp. The Trust/LLC route does not save any money. It does eliminate the LEO/photo/print requirements and provides some flexibility w/r/t possession depending on your risk tolerance but it does nothing to avoid the stamp requirements.

http://nfatalk.org/forum/showthread.php?t=716

http://www.silencerresearch.com

http://www.silencerforum.com/forum/showthread.php/926-LINKS-TO-RESULTS-THREADS

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You guys are correct, I was mistaken when I posted that.

My trust is complete and have ordered a few supressors so looking forward to them arriving at my FFL and then beginning the form 4.

You could save money when it comes to transferring the supressor if you already have that person in your trust but agreed, not much of a cost savings deal.

·
Registered
428 Posts

You guys are correct, I was mistaken when I posted that.

My trust is complete and have ordered a few supressors so looking forward to them arriving at my FFL and then beginning the form 4.

You could save money when it comes to transferring the supressor if you already have that person in your trust but agreed, not much of a cost savings deal.
In my trust I did what is called CO-Grantors. It allows my entire family as named in the trust to own the trust and anything in it. Now the wife or kid can use or be in possession of the suppressor and I don't have to be with them. Saves a lot of concern as to how you store/lock up and who has access the NFA items. If you're new to the NFA thing make sure you read about maintaining control at all times.

Just IMHO, start with GemTech and work down from there into your budget. A friend has a YHM but I like the Gemtech G5 better. The YHM is a few hundred cheaper but IMO it doesn't compare. And, the G5-22 with QD is awesome on the SU-22 also..

http://www.gem-tech.com/store/pc/G5-p77.htm
http://www.gem-tech.com/store/pc/G5-22-13p78.htm

1 - 19 of 19 Posts