Suppressor on a P3AT

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Junior, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Junior

Junior New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Does anyone know if a suppressor will work and allow complete and proper functioning of a 1st Gen. P3AT? Suppressoers just became legal to possess in the state I reside in and I thought it would be fun to have one for my "little friend". It would be a mite expensive to obtain one, but it sure would be uniqe.

Junior

2. haugrdr

haugrdr Super Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    I don't know how you would attach it, the barrel isn't long enough or strong enough at that point...even if you had a longer, stronger barrel made... on a KelTec the barrel "tilts" as the slide goes back and comes back into battery. Wouldn't that interfere with the suppressor?

Rick

3. JRadice45

JRadice45 New Member

Aug 22, 2008
    If you were to have a longer bbl manfuactured, the recoil spring guide rod would brobably interfere with the longer barrel. Even if that wasn't the case, the weight of the suppressor would make it pretty darn difficult to cycle the pistol imo. All that weight at the end of a tilting bbl pistol coupled with a weak cartridge... doesnt seem right to me.
    If suppression is what you are after, I suggest a .22 auto pistol with a can, Walther p22's are nice for suppressed use, and the ammo is cheap!

4. bladeandbarrel

bladeandbarrel New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    In know a guy who will do it. www.innovativearms.com. he recently made a conversion barrel for a p-3at to 32 NAA from scratch and can make a threaded, extended barrel for a p-3AT also..he makes GREAT suppressors

5. abuck50

abuck50 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2008
    NW Ohio
    Aren't suppressors illegal?

6. SMMAssociates

SMMAssociates New Member

Apr 23, 2006
    Not quite....

It depends on what State you live in, and on jumping through some minor BATFE hoops.

If your State doesn't bar them, your friendly neighborhood gun shop ought to be able to set you up as long as your record is clean.

(Don't be asking me how - I've never looked past "you can do it".)

Regards,

7. joje

joje New Member

Nov 1, 2007
    there are plenty of locked-breech designs that can be fitted with suppressor despite barrel tilt and spring guide. the extra weight on the end of the barrel definitely makes proper operation more finicky than a fixed barrel rimfire but its by no means impossible. the subsonic 380 cardtridge would also lend itself well to effective supression. not sure how you would attach it to the barrel though.

8. PshootR

PshootR Banned

Apr 1, 2005
    If you want to have a suppressed .380 there are lots of blow-back models that would much easier to work with. Besides, the small size of the P3-AT would be kinda canceled out by the size of the "can".

9. Junior

Junior New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    I just thought that since I already had the P3AT I would use it. I have thought of purchasing a suppressor and a .22 pistol to go with it. The cost of putting it all together will be the inhibiter.

Junior