Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a sub2k, 40cal, gen 2. At the range, it preformed well with the poor sights furnished. I thought I could improve the accuracy and use it for night hunts with a light and a scope. (The folding aspect is not too important to me; I liked the lightness for carrying on my ATV). I bought a rail riser and put a long eye-relief (pistol) scope on it. Accuracy went to hell. I could get 2 inch groups at fifty yards, but when I tried to bring the group to POI, shots were everywhere, even missing the paper plate target. Working with it, I could get the group size back down, but sooner or later, the groups would open up again. I thought it must be the cheap scope not holding zero, so I got a NIKON for $189. Still very erratic performance. I have decided that the forearm must be the problem. The factory sights are mounted on the frame and the barrel muzzle, but the scope rides on the forearm. What do y'all think? Is my forearm wiggling around? is there a solution? Will the Red Lion forearm solve my problem, or should I just put the factory sights back on and keep it as a daytime shooter?

·
Registered
670 Posts

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Hmmmm, I would think if the forearm was loose that you'd be able to feel it.

I don't have a scope, but I have a red dot that I sight in at 50 yards without problems. But maybe not all forearms fit the same?

There's a difference n mass too between the red dot and a scope. Maybe that's it combined with vibration.

Thanks for the link Art'. I ordered one. I might as well install one when I have the forearm off in a little bit. It surely won't hurt anything to have it in place.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey AoG, that looks like an inexpensive solution. Perfect, since the gun is inexpensive! I do not notice a loose forearm, but it's hard to tell if recoil may be moving things around a bit. I returned the scope to Midwayusa, since I have a cheaper scope to put on it (now that I have decided the lack of zero was not the scope's fault). I'll keep messing around with it and see how it goes. Thanks for the info! The 100% reliability in the feeding and ejection while firing, and its light weight make me want to get it shooting decently accurate.

·
Registered
670 Posts
...Thanks for the info! The 100% reliability in the feeding and ejection while firing, and its light weight make me want to get it shooting decently accurate.
You're welcome, dshaw. The Gen2 is a fantastic small carbine once you break it in :)

...Thanks for the link Art'. I ordered one. I might as well install one when I have the forearm off in a little bit. It surely won't hurt anything to have it in place.
Yep, it definetly minimizes any forend flex/twist. I used the second one (modified) to secure a MI keymod-to-MLok mount for the optic offset. Worked like a champ ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just to follow up... I got the front sight from Red Lion. It is an amazingly well engineered piece of equipment. Ill stick with open sights, for now.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I would add that these guns are best served with a Red Dot type of Optic.

They are 100 yard guns at best, so there is little need for a big magnified optic .

Another option is the Kel Tec Fore End which clamps onto the barrel pretty solidly and won't move around. It also gives lots of options for attaching accessories.

Randy

Attachments

·
Registered
510 Posts
I always wanted a Sten Gun. This is about as close as you can get legally.

USPSA has recently added a "Pistol Caliber Carbine" class to their schedule so now we have something to do with our S2K's besides defending ourselves against bottles, and cans and the occasional steel gong lurking in the shadows at the range.

Now if we can only get IDPA to follow suit we'll have more opportunities to shoot these guns. I know is stands for "Defensive Pistol" but who in their right mind would take a Pistol over a Rifle in a fight if they had a choice.

Randy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.