Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a (glock 17) Sub2k 9m with the Midwest Industries rotating red dot mount, with a Primary Arms Advanced Micro Dot

took it out to zero it in. was literally shooting in the dirt at 25 yards. I kept adjusting the dot more and more trying to get the point of aim up but even after maxing it out where I couldn't move adjust the dot any further, my shots were still a good several inches low at 25 yards

not sure what to do..

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
Try completely disassembling and reassemble.
Did you follow instructions?
Make sure the mount is installed correctly.
I probably would mechanically zero the red dot for a baseline for when you try to get it sighted in next time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The mount will shift in the Mlok slot during recoil and POI will shift all over the place. I took off the hand-guard and epoxy glue the mount into the slot. I push the mount toward front top of the slot when gluing it down.

I use 5 min epoxy and fill the reassess in the back of the hand guard. I also don't use the para-cord. Just put the mount in center of 5 slots with the bolt forward during storage.

You can still remove it down the road just a little bit more work.

·
Registered
39 Posts
You know, before receiving the MI mount I got to thinking about this very thing,,,,,,

And I remembered seeing something that I thought was a very good idea: http://www.performanceservicesmachining.com/kel-tec-sub-2000-products/

So I emailed Todd about an idea I had to barrel mount the MI optic mount and told him I wanted two of the barrel bands and their hardware.

After figuring out that I wanted to bridge two of the M-Lock slots, I removed the hand guard halves, assembled the barrel band clamps, and then placed the hand guard half that the optic mount sits on back on the rifle.

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
So, I Dremeled out the hand guard. Long story short, the quote "Picatinny like" was glaringly evident trying to get the barrel clamps to line up in the slots. A few minutes of trimming and all was good.

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Next, I attached the optic mount to the barrel clamps, folded the rifle, and flipped the mount in to its resting place. Thread locking and final tightening the barrel clamps in this position should help ensure keeping the mount in line with the bore.

Thread and final tighten the mount to the barrel clamps. Note: A quick and dirty solution to the problem of hardware mismatch and too long fasteners was a pair of nuts under the Performance bolts and Bob's yer Uncle.

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Finished product, ready to recheck zero:

One caveat. I think there could be better mating of the surfaces between the optic mount and the barrel clamps, as in good flat metal to metal contact over a large(er) surface area. But for now, I think it will be just fine.

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
I got thinking about correcting the problem of the MI mount being off kilter if th choice was to keep the mount attached to the hand guard.

The Performace Services rail attachment kit that I "borrowed" parts of to do my build shows a tombstone shaped plate as half of the attachment system. I think two of these with the associated hardware to attach the MI optic mount would be tremendously stronger than the original mounting system and should be easier to keep plumb with the bore.

http://www.performanceservicesmachining.com

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Rich,

Thanks for linking this off my other thread. So, how has this setup held zero for you? Do you consider this a better plan than the performance services machine setup you referenced?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Rich,

Thanks for linking this off my other thread. So, how has this setup held zero for you? Do you consider this a better plan than the performance services machine setup you referenced?

I've not been able to get to the range with it yet, but I have a couple of thoughts on the matter if it proves out the the mount bounces under recoil. I'm pretty sure that for the price of a rubber band, any "jiggle" can be mitigated,,,,,,,after that, looking at the spring would come next.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I also had a MI mount and a primary arms red dot, one problem with the mount was a screw that holds the truning portion of the mount with a spring kept comming loose, used locktite to fix problem, but never could make primary arms sight zero, sent all back for full refund, very good company.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey! I also bought the MI mount: could not zero either of two red dot sights. Really a shame as it was
An elegant solution to the problem of not being able to fold the gun with a sight on it. Next problem: the picatinny rail on the top of the weapon is not flat; it is quite curved, with the height of the curve preventing any sight to fit flat enough to engage both sides of the clamping mechanism. So far: can't use the iron sights as they are too low for my fat head; can't fit a red dot sight on the poorly made
Picatinny rail on top. I will attempt to file the top rail flat and lower. A real shame Kel-Tec can't do better. If only the MI mount worked! I tried to tighten the screw to put more pressure on the spring but stopped trying when the force exceeded common sense. Guess I'll just put it in the safe and hope Kel-Tec (or someone) comes up with a better idea.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.