Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my state is expanding the deer handgun season to include pistol caliber carbines.
Any thoughts on Ammo, should this get passed? 9mm for my sub2k
I ran across a 9mm Magtech loading, 95 grain jacketed soft point @ 1300+ FPS (from a 4” barrel I assume), generating 382 ft lbs of energy.
Any other states allow hunting with pistol caliber long guns?

·
Registered
832 Posts
Depending on the state. Here in Iowa we can use 357 mag or bigger pistol/rifle calibers. So we cant use 9mm but can use 40s&w. So i could use a sub in 40 if i wanted too. But i dont feel its better then my rifled shotgun shooting sabot slugs so im not switching anytime soon. I have thought about getting one to have in my backpack when im out hunting since i could use it if i wanted too.

·
Registered
73 Posts
my state is expanding the deer handgun season to include pistol caliber carbines.
Any thoughts on Ammo, should this get passed? 9mm for my sub2k
I ran across a 9mm Magtech loading, 95 grain jacketed soft point @ 1300+ FPS (from a 4” barrel I assume), generating 382 ft lbs of energy.
Any other states allow hunting with pistol caliber long guns?
A 9mm Luger can be used for hunting. But, really for stuff smaller than deer. A .357mag, 45 Colt or .44 mag carbine are a better fit for the job.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Shot placement, shot placement, shot placement....
wound one with a 9mm and it will run for ever....if lost it'll be Coyote bait. If you do recover it after it's been wounded and ran all over heck and back; it will taste aweful. The stress and lactic acid build up in the tissue will make it taste horrible. Around these parts, unless you can track thru the jungle like brush- up and down hills and such, most guys go over kill on caliber so if you make a bad shot they ain't running far.

That being said, a chef friend of mine drops them with a .22 mag. He's got a ridiculous 16x scope on this rifle and puts a round in their eye, so as not to waste any meat. Yes he's a nut job too. Has apple trees in the back yard solely for bringing in deer and other edible critters.

·
Administrator
31,976 Posts
IMHO, a sub2k is a poor replacement for a deer rifle or even a suitable shotgun.. Reduced clean kill potential plus limited accuracy is a bad combination and violates hunting with some degree of ethics. Aside from perhaps a survival situation, there is no good reason not to use a more suitable weapon.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Txcajun, I agree with you. I think if it becomes law I may look at a 44 Mag in lever action.
In De, it's shotgun only during firearms season, I use a 12ga with Hornady exp slugs.
I hunt Md deer with a .270 tikka3, typically use a Win 150gr softpoint, with good results.
In both instances, most shots are 25-100 yds.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I would not recommend 9mm for deer, but if you have to use it you will want to stick to heavier bullets like 147gr. Lighter bullets will not penetrate far enough

1 - 8 of 8 Posts