Featured Sub2000 Red Dot Mounting Options

Discussion in 'Sub9 and Sub2000 Rifles' started by No1Buck, Oct 20, 2017.

1. No1Buck

No1Buck Member

Oct 14, 2017
    I am looking into options to mount an Aimpoint T1 on a Sub2000 I plan on purchasing. I would prefer something that's not offset and that allows the rifle to fold when not in use. So far it looks like I have 3 options:

1. Midwest Industries mount - A lot of people are saying it doesn't hold zero. I've worked in tech support so I know that most of the time the problem is user error not defective equipment, but even some of the users here have had problems so it doesn't inspire confidence.

2. Red Lion Forend - Looks good, seems to have good reviews, but very expensive and looks like a hassle to install.

3. Quick detach mount - Users here have mentioned just installing a short piece of pic rail on one side of the handguard, and using a quick detach mount to move the sight from the side to the top rail after unfolding. This sounds like a good solution, but will a QD mount return to zero when remounted to a polymer rail?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  2. tdg

tdg Member

Dec 7, 2011
    Option 3 looks like easiest. Hopefully some folks that have had success with a mount will respond.

3. 850sub

850sub Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Pensacola
    All three are good options.
    You could always start with a quick release.
    Something like this keeps it nice and small.
    (Not shown is 1/2" q/r riser)[​IMG]

4. No1Buck

No1Buck Member

Oct 14, 2017
    I didn't even realize the stock has a piece of rail on it! That makes me like option 3 even more, keeps the footprint smaller.

5. 850sub

850sub Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Pensacola
    Oh, I didn't mention that it's a gen 1 with custom rail.
    But if you have a drill and a screw driver, it's easy to do yourself!

6. 850sub

850sub Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Pensacola
    There is another option, the factory alloy rail...

7. Ramie

Ramie Member

Aug 18, 2012
    I just mounted it to the top rail with quick detach and just take it off when i fold it up. It seems to stay sighted in pretty good.

8. DaveNC

DaveNC Active Member

Mar 7, 2008
    I use a quick detach and no problems so far. What I did find and had to fix were the rails on the forearm are not flat on the top of the piccatinny rails, so when you lock the sight on it can rock. I put mine on my milling machine and took the peak off.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
    850sub likes this.
  9. gsr

gsr Active Member

Sep 13, 2004
    I use a LaRue LT849 mount for the Trijicon MRO. It has been working well so far.

10. Tankersteve

Tankersteve Member

Jan 7, 2014
    Yorktown, VA
    I cut away portions of the factory standard handguard, fitted a 2-piece picatinny rail (5 slots, I think), and ensured it sits essentially flush when folded. I used a rather inexpensive QD mount with a Primary Arms red dot.
    I use LaRue components (T1, PEQ-2 mounts) on ARs, but the Sub is just a range toy and I'm not going to use mounts that cost a third of the gun.

Tankersteve

11. jgillooly

jgillooly Member

Jan 18, 2017
    I bought the MI mount, installed it, and found it would not hold zero. I took it to a gunsmith after burning a couple boxes of ammo jacking with it. All he did was really crank down on the mount to side rail fasteners. It would not hold zero. Took it back to Primary Arms and they said MI was telling everybody the same thing, that it was user error. It's not.

The tension spring in the mount's not strong enough and it's not adjustable, the Mlock attachment destroys the plastic side rail on the inside after a while, and the final deal is the hand rail is just not designed to hold anything on it. There are only 2 fasteners that attach it to the upper receiver (that's what Keltec calls it), which is really only a hinge. You can fix that though by buying aftermarket braces that lock the hand rail to the barrel.

I've looked at all the other options mentioned here. The Red Lion is nice but jacks up the weight by a pound, plus costs over $200 because you have to get their proprietary rail.

The quick disconnect should work ok but good mounts are also pretty expensive, plus you will need to file down the top of the rail. It might be good enough.

There is another option. MCarbo is rumored to be prototyping a top mount that rotates over and to the side, like the Vortex 3X multiplier mount. I've got that on an AR15, it's very sturdy, so waiting on that.

12. 850sub

850sub Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Pensacola
    Do you have any evidence of the rumor you just started?

13. jgillooly

jgillooly Member

Jan 18, 2017
    "Do you have any evidence of the rumor you just started?"

MCarbo guys are really good about replying, besides selling good products. Go to their site and email them your questions and get a direct answer. help@mcarbo.com

Wiseguy likes this.
  14. Wiseguy

Wiseguy Member

Nov 8, 2017
    I have been considering Midwest Indstries/Primary Arms red dot combo. Is this rumor true that the mount doesn't hold zero?

15. eert

eert Member

Nov 14, 2009
    Has anyone tried installing a small piece of rail on the Gen 1 plastic Handguard and adding a swing away/tip off like the American Defense Magnifier Swing-Off mount? I think a smaller RD (Primary Arms) would fit into that mount. I think the AD magnifier mount locks into place, but never used one.

16. jgillooly

jgillooly Member

Jan 18, 2017
    Wiseguy - Respectfully, it's no rumor. That's the MI mount mentioned above in an earlier post. A support guy at Primary Arms told me they get a lot of these returned...

17. haugrdr

haugrdr Super Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    Mine holds zero pretty darned well. I'm very happy with it.

18. eert

eert Member

Nov 14, 2009
    Could you post a pic? I'm confused as to what constitutes a "2 piece picatinny rail". Did you just drill and screw into a Gen I handguard? Thanks!

19. jgillooly

jgillooly Member

Jan 18, 2017
    Happy for you. Really wanted mine to work as the gun is pretty much in the closet until I get a system that works and lets the gun fold. These are 100 dollar mounts so just wasn't willing to take a second chance.