Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I sent my Sub2000 in for repair and got it back a few weeks ago. I was experiencing jams FTF, FTE etc prior to the repair with Glock factory 33 round mags as well as the Korean 33 round mags. The issues were random. After the repair I picked up 3 Glock 17 factory 17 round mags and they all work flawlessly. I also ran a Korean 33 rounder fully loaded and half loaded no issues. I am still having a few FTF and FTEs only when using my 2 Glock factory 33 round mags even after the repair. At this point I'm happy that my Korean 33 rounders work and my factory Glock 17 rounders work, but I'm not sure why I have issues with the 2 Glock factory 33 round magazines. I know that these two 33 round Glock mags work fine because I have used them several times without any issues with my Glock 19. Does anyone have any idea why this is happening with the factory 33 rounders? I am using 115 gr FMJ federal from Walmart.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I can help you out with your problem. I am a sporting goods dept manager at a Walmart, and besides my limited negative experience with the Federal 115 grain hardball we sell, I can tell you that I get much negative feedback from my customers.

The stuff is garbage. The barest minimum I would recommend for your Subby, or anyones for that matter, would be Winchester white box, and even that is borderline in a lot of guns.

I have never had any type of failure in my Sub, or any of my other 9mm weapons. I strictly use only NATO spec ammo, or at the very least, ammo that is 124 grain or heavier.

I recommend highly the NATO Winchester 124 grain stuff, and my all time favorite....Sellier & Bellot 115 grain hardball. The S&B stuff is made in Czechoslovakia in a NATO military factory, and the stuff has sealed bullets, and primers, and it is hotter than you would think for 115 grain stuff.

Another tip. Leave your 33 round mags fully loaded with 32 or 33 rounds for a couple of months, and you will find that even the garbage ammo will become more reliable.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can help you out with your problem. I am a sporting goods dept manager at a Walmart, and besides my limited negative experience with the Federal 115 grain hardball we sell, I can tell you that I get much negative feedback from my customers.

The stuff is garbage. The barest minimum I would recommend for your Subby, or anyones for that matter, would be Winchester white box, and even that is borderline in a lot of guns.

I have never had any type of failure in my Sub, or any of my other 9mm weapons. I strictly use only NATO spec ammo, or at the very least, ammo that is 124 grain or heavier.

I recommend highly the NATO Winchester 124 grain stuff, and my all time favorite....Sellier & Bellot 115 grain hardball. The S&B stuff is made in Czechoslovakia in a NATO military factory, and the stuff has sealed bullets, and primers, and it is hotter than you would think for 115 grain stuff.

Another tip. Leave your 33 round mags fully loaded with 32 or 33 rounds for a couple of months, and you will find that even the garbage ammo will become more reliable.
Before my SUB2K was repaired I tried 124 grain ammo and even 147 grain ammo still no success. I'll try leaving my factory 33 rounders fully loaded in my safe until my next range trip to see if that helps. I don't like Winchester White Box, but I'll try other brands of ammo to see if my SUB2K likes it with the factory 33 rounders.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Well, my Glock .40/9 conversion barrel with 33 rnd mags jam with WWB 115 grain, a weak underpowered round. The 17 rounders work fine. I mention this because it may be the 115 grain ammo that is the problem in the Sub. I personally like NATO rounds- more
whump.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have issues with the stock 10 round magazine (9MM) that came with the Sub 2K. The Glock 33 round magazines work perfectly. They have different followers and suspect that is what's going on in my case.
The ammo may be the problem but why would it work fine in one magazine and not the other?

·
Super Moderator
17,775 Posts
I have issues with the stock 10 round magazine (9MM) that came with the Sub 2K. The Glock 33 round magazines work perfectly. They have different followers and suspect that is what's going on in my case.
The ammo may be the problem but why would it work fine in one magazine and not the other?
The Glock 10 round mag has a demonstrated problem with last round FTE, even in Glock pistols. But upgrading it to a gen 3 or 4 follower is supposed to fix this.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Maybe your Mags are dirty. Take them apart and clean them. the 2K is a dirty gun.
+1 an the Walmart ammo - It's junk, I wont even buy it for brass anymore.

·
Registered
25 Posts
FWIW, my gen 3 OEM 33rnder works great. My gen4 OEM mag will work great IF I ONLY LOAD 31 rnds. I guess those two extra generate more pressure and change the angle of the round to be loaded. I know that does not *sound* correct, but it happens for me. Maybe try down-loading by 2 or 3 and see what happens. YMMV of course

·
Registered
25 Posts
I think the problem is the fact that the Sub-2000 relies on he magazine catch to position the magazine in the receiver and it's not the correct size compared to the magazine. The magazine notch is 7.9mm and the magazine catch is 4.8mm, allowing for over 3mm of magazine movement. A factory Glock magazine catch is 7.7mm. Also, Glock pistols have a piece of metal inside the frame that contacts a "ledge" on the side of the magazine that keeps the magazine from being inserted too far. The Subbie doesn't have this. I can cause my subbie to fail to eject simply by pushing up slightly on the magazine. The top of the magazine actually hits the bottom of the ejector and blocks the empty case from hitting it correctly. Why would you not design the mag catch to be the same size as the factory one? Maybe it's a one size fits all so the same part can be used in the other model subbies. BTW, Glock magazine are different lengths. My older, non-drop free Glock mags are shorter than the newer ones and butt up tight against the grip frame, so they have no play. Gun works perfectly fine with those mags.

·
Registered
4 Posts
does the 10 rd mag on yours only work with the action first open?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts