Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
nice little piglets there…
resurection of zombie post award issued.

I’ll contribute here, 100 yard max for 9mm is my opinion. May not be best, but if you practice with it you’re better off than a keyboard ninja w a Daniel Defense Ar…

Reactions: BJK

·
Registered
PMR30, P17, SU16C, Sub2000
27 Posts
I have a sub2000 (Gen 1) with Glock mags. I can shoot it pretty accurately at about 50 yards (Shooting at an 8 inch steel plate).

In terms of lethality, even out of the carbine length barrel the 9mm at 10 feet does not have the hydrostatic shock that a .5.55 has at 100 yards.

I say shop around for a used SU16C

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I'm considering a sub 2000 Glock mag 9mm. I have a Glock 19 already. I do not own a rifle and would like one. I live in Florida near the coast. My brother in law went through hurricane charley in pt charlotte, Fl. He told me about some looting that went on. Devastating huricanes bring up the possibility of outside engagements. He said I should get a traditional 223 cal rifle. I like the cost of the sub much better and the interchangable mags with my Glock. Question, What is the max range of hitting a man size targe with good optics and stock sites? I don't want the answer from the manual, but actual user data. Thanks, Dbl Tap
As others have stated if you shoot someone and your life isn't in jeopardy, esp' with you putting it there, you'd be in very deep doo-doo. A 50 yard shot would be pretty hard to justify unless you have incoming rounds that you didn't provoke. Just posturing would probably find them looking for places that aren't defended. Now having written that, when I'm asked what someone should get for a handgun for HD I tell them a PCC (pistol caliber carbine). It's so much easier to use than a handgun even at close range, but it needs to be set up correctly. The sub2k would be excellent in that role. Just find out what would be a good shoot and what wouldn't. You don't want to be tried for murder. You also don't want to use deadly force on anyone over things. Deadly force is only used to preserve life, not things. One wins 100% of the gunfights one never enters into.

Now if it's something like what Selco Begovic went through there won't be anyone to ask questions. See the link below. He has an interesting story and experiences. Being the unseen mouse has huge advantages. Rambo is only a movie and a fictional character.

edit: FWIW, I compete with handgun and shoulder fired gun and take my own advice. While I could use a handgun very effectively for HD (HD=home defense) my choice today is a "PCC" sbr (short barreled rifle). One is my competition PCC SBR in 9mm and the one just a few feet away as I type is an arm braced AR handgun in 300BLK. Sure I can shoulder it, but my plan is not to do that since raising it can result in a perp grabbing it. If I do need to take a longer shot or if the laser is kaput it can be shouldered or cheeked to use the red dot (not my 1st plan), but for anything in our home I'll tuck the buffer tube under my arm at my waist and use the laser/light for targeting. But that's only if the cops aren't answering calls. If they are I make the phone call and keep it on speaker, let them know the room we're in, then open the window and throw them the keys. My job if they're answering calls is to stay out of their way, let them do their job, and protect my wife and our 4 legged kids. Remember the gun fight you never get into is won 100% of the time. Cops earn their $ and they also have attorneys paid by us to defend them. We defend ourselves with our $.

Before I had those 2 HD guns I used either a 9mm sub2k or a 5.56 AR with a can on the end. It was those long guns when a cop killer was running around in the "backyard" that prompted me to build what I now use. Doing chores with a long gun was the absolute pits. I traded the long guns for a bullpup (RDB) and that was soooo much better but not optimum.

Equip a sub2k with a laser/light and a red dot, tuck it under your arm at the waist and the off hand out near the muzzle and it would be a HD defense weapon to be reckoned with if you have the spheroids to use it. But at any distance? That gets hard to justify unless you have clear cause.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Although up to 33 rounds of 9mm fired rapidly about an inch above normal (in other words using the fixed sights) will probably kill something 150 to 200 yards away.

Reactions: RAT76

·
Registered
580 Posts
I saw a video in which the shooter was consistently hitting a steel target at 400 yards with pretty good force. Not sure of penetration on a human.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts