Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know the reason, but has anyone else had these problems? This gun has had about 500 rnds down it and I have noticed that the top of the feed ramp,, or more correctly the bottom when un-folded, has been getting worn, this causes stove-pipes and rounds with a dent in them. I have taken my dremmel tool and polished it out as much as I dare, and it solved the issue. But anyone else with a sub gun notice this? Mine is an early issue bought in 2000. ( for a mere $160.00 new) You may be able to see from pics what I am talking about (Left side pic top of breach) And just so you guys know..this is probably the best bug out gun ever.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
17,763 Posts
I'm kind of surprised this has happened with as few as 500 rounds shot. There are several members here - myself included - who are well into several thousand rounds through theirs without that issue. I don't think you're reshaping that area will hurt anything as long as you keep it out of the chamber itself (the inner beveled area). But I will readily admit I am not a professional gunsmith, so I could be wrong. You might get a close look at the plastic feed ramp that is on the bolt tube and see if it is showing signs of wear or cracking. That is a relatively inexpensive part and pretty simple to replace since it just snaps one the tube.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Kinda unclear here. Are talking about that divot? My last 9mm subbie had that, but it wasn't wear. I think it was more of a feed assist by the placement and it was a little better centered. So yours being a little to the left via the pic could be the prob to begin with. I have since traded to a .40 cal, which does not have just that single divot, but a chamfer ( for lack of a better word) around the entire barrel opening. I'll post a pic tomorrow if someone with a newer version doesn't beat me to it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You mean thats normal? If it is then it not being center would explain much. I will see how much more I can smooth ramp it. Thanks

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
My camera is kinda old so the pics aren't that great. The first two are of the old barrel from the 9mm and the last is from the newer .40 cal.

I've put around 400 thru the .40 since I swapped.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Wow, Darth. My Sub 9mm Glock 17 looks nothing like that. My chamber is very uniform in shape, looking like your .40.

·
Super Moderator
17,763 Posts
All of the newer issued barrels I've seen since late 09 look like the .40 at the bottom. But I have seen pictures of some newer barrels coming back from repair having had that ramp or a smaller version milled into them. My 2005 - 2008 build barrels had a 1/8" hood extension on the top and a small ramp milled in the bottom. The one I received to repair the Space Modulator is a new version with the double bevel. I still haven't reassembled it, and I actually have some concern about whether it will work in the receiver I have, since that receiver does not have the upper hood built into it that appears to be there for the prevention of forcing the round to nose up. One of these days I'll get it put back together to find out.....

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So my 9mm sub feed ramp is off center. Thats the problem. I have polished the hell out of it and it seems to work much better. But I am thinking that I need to turn the bbl just a tad to put that ramp at center. Other than that I have had zero problems with this subgun. I did have to file the tab on some non factory 30 round Glock mags to get them to lock up better. Factory ones work just fine, but the KCI mags dropped out once in a while during fast fire, Just a weight problem. I wish the spring in the subs magazine release button was a tad stronger.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
17,763 Posts
You really don't want to try and "turn" the barrel. If it bothers you that much just very carefully re-contour and widen the feed ramp with a light stone so it is centered.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts