Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I originally had 2 of the Gen 1 Sub 2K's in 40SW, but sold them about 7 years ago when I got fed up with the cheap sighting system and repeated broken front sight blades...couldn't keep them sighted in. After that bad experience, I swore off Kel Tec firearms, however I recently started viewing this site again and discovered that a great many design flaws of the original Sub 2K's seem to have been addressed. Seems like many after market companies have sprung up to fill the gap between what Kel Tec provides to the customers as original parts and what they should have produced to make the gun more user friendly.

With all that being said, I have a question; I am considering trying the Sub 2K again (this time in 9mm but still with the Glock magazines) and thought that the experts on this forum could help me out...should I try to find an original used Gen 1 and retrofit it with a new Red Lion forearm, sturdier metal front sight etc...or are there advantages to just getting a Gen 2? I like the rotating Red Lion forearm since I want to put an optic on the gun and still keep its folding capabilities. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
600 Posts
My thought is to get a Gen 2 and keep it fairly stock as far as optics. It's not a 1 moa gun but you should be able to hit what you can see. That's just me.
Then you got artofgolf. He can steer you in another direction.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am thinking about a small diameter red dot, but do not like an off set mount, (I still want the rifle to fold as designed). Other than a sling and a detachable light (maybe) I would like to keep it pretty much stock. If I add the Red Lion forearm to the Gen 2 Sub, will that one attached accessory fit the bill for what I am trying to accomplish?

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
I originally had 2 of the Gen 1 Sub 2K's in 40SW, but sold them about 7 years ago when I got fed up with the cheap sighting system and repeated broken front sight blades...couldn't keep them sighted in. After that bad experience, I swore off Kel Tec firearms, however I recently started viewing this site again and discovered that a great many design flaws of the original Sub 2K's seem to have been addressed. Seems like many after market companies have sprung up to fill the gap between what Kel Tec provides to the customers as original parts and what they should have produced to make the gun more user friendly.

With all that being said, I have a question; I am considering trying the Sub 2K again (this time in 9mm but still with the Glock magazines) and thought that the experts on this forum could help me out...should I try to find an original used Gen 1 and retrofit it with a new Red Lion forearm, sturdier metal front sight etc...or are there advantages to just getting a Gen 2? I like the rotating Red Lion forearm since I want to put an optic on the gun and still keep its folding capabilities. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Get the gen II. Add red lion rail or factory rail. Some here trust the gen II plastic rail, but I wont when I get mine...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Been doing a ton of research, and I'm going to get a Gen 2 Sub2K in 9mm....Glock version. Just need to find a vendor that will sell at a reasonable price....and I'll go with the Red Lion forearm as well as the metal folding rear sight that is sold on Gunbroker. As far as the red dot goes, I don't know which one just yet, but first things first....need to find the gun! I really appreciate the advice from everyone.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Polymer forend = OK

What's wrong with the gen 2 polymer forend?
I disassembled the Gen 2 forend, I found out that it's well designed and manufactured to tolerances suited for the intended purpose.
When the 4 screws nearest the receiver are loosened, you will find that the forend will not be firm.
IMHO, that is one of the reasons why some owners choose to replace the polymer with metal, among others.
I've chosen a middle-of-the-road approach by adding the stabilizers (2) and it suits me.
Accordingly, it really comes down to your personal preference and the amount of additional work you are willing to do.
I'm an inventorate tinkerer ~ that one reason is why the Gen 2 really appealed to me, among other features.
There's nothing wrong with the Gen 2 polymer forend.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I remember your stabilizer thread, it was instructive. I thought it was because you were using the mlok side mounts....I did notice a little play and tightened those 4 hex screws a 1/4 turn. I will be sure to pay attention to this over time.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I chose the stabilizer route and so far it seems to work as advertised. The forend on mine only supports a flashlight and a handstop right now so adding the stabilizer at this time wasn't a mission critical component upgrade to guarantee something keeping a zero. Eventually when I do decide to add a red dot into the equation I figure having one already installed future proofs me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.