Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

Sub-2K ammo rec

3K views 28 replies 13 participants last post by  Artofgolf 
#1 ·
I've searched and read, and there is one site out there with some direct info, but what is everyone using as go to ammo in their subs? I figured that I would just use the same ammo as I carry to keep things consistent, but there seems to be conflicting and confusing info. I have 124gr +P and 147gr varieties, and while the former seems to gain more percentage velocity, there are reports of fragmentation in ballistics gel. The latter doesn't gain as much velocity, but seems to hold together better.

There as one video posted here that showed impressive 124gr +P performance with standard denim and block testing, so I'm thinking of just sticking with that. I usually carry the 147gr in my handguns.

Thanks, and glad to be here... new to KTOG and the world of the sub-2K.

#2 ·
124 grain stuff works well for me. Winchester 124 grain nato ball for practice, any quality 124hp works well for other than practice. Ballistics out of the 16" barrel pretty much mimic the venerable 125 grain 357 out of a 4" barrel....what's not to like?

#4 ·
I usually run 115 or 124 gr 9mm in anything with a 16" barrel and 147 in everything else (pistols & Evo Scorpion) as a general rule of thumb. Only exception is my 9mm RRA AR which doesn't shoot anything very well except 147 gr +P.

I've heard some subs don't like to feed 147 gr. flatnose but mine (gen II Beretta mags) seems to run it just fine.

Haven't tried any high end SD ammo yet but Privi Partizan 158 gr. hollow points run without issue and group as well as the 147s @ 25 yards. It's cheap enough to use as a range round and still perform well for serious work.

#6 ·
I've been using the 115 gr stuff from Walmart, federal. No hiccups yet.

Just got some federal aluminum cased stuff. I think they say that it's not good to run in the sub 2000, but I wasn't paying enough attention to the guy at wal mart so I ended up getting this instead of the brass cases stuff. Saved 5 bucks per box, but we will see how it works in he gun....

#10 ·
I told Walmart it's on the guy who sold them to me when my head gets blown off, since they won't take them back in less than 10 hours of buying them.
Superduper, sell the ammo. It ain't worth the risk. Seriously.
Or run it through a locked breech handgun. Aluminum ammo is just not good in blowback actions.

#11 · (Edited)
I've been using the 115 gr stuff from Walmart, federal. No hiccups yet.

Just got some federal aluminum cased stuff. I think they say that it's not good to run in the sub 2000, but I wasn't paying enough attention to the guy at wal mart so I ended up getting this instead of the brass cases stuff. Saved 5 bucks per box, but we will see how it works in he gun....
from the FAQ sticky
http://www.thektog.org/forum/f85/f-q-sub-2000-sub-9-a-232138/ :

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/brass-vs-steel-cased-ammo/

This is about steel cased ammo, but is quite appropriate to review before buying aluminum cased ammo.

Here is a supportive view of aluminum cased ammo:

http://ammo.com/casing-type/aluminum

...and, a video about brass vs aluminum:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5XAr6BOAGE[/ame]

#12 ·
Thanks for the links, I like information.

I just read the entire manual and no where did it mention ANY case types.

I did see a YouTube videos where a guy emailed Kel tec and their reply was something along the lines of, aluminum will work, don't use +P aluminum, brass is best.

Should be fine, guess I'll find out next week.

#13 ·
...I just read the entire manual and no where did it mention ANY case types...
The manual doesn't make mention of specific case-types, however the following should be considered:

QUOTE: "The SUB-2000 is a dangerous weapon. The purchaser assumes all liability resulting......the use of non-standard, defective, or improper ammunition...."
Summarized for brevity Last paragraph ~ page 24.

Just because they don't say that aluminum-cased ammo is NOT RECOMMENDED, we are trying to caution you to reconsider, please!

#14 ·
The manual doesn't make mention of specific case-types, however the following should be considered:

QUOTE: "The SUB-2000 is a dangerous weapon. The purchaser assumes all liability resulting......the use of non-standard, defective, or improper ammunition...."
Summarized for brevity Last paragraph ~ page 24.

Just because they don't say that aluminum-cased ammo is NOT RECOMMENDED, we are trying to caution you to reconsider, please!
Hey if it works you save a few bucks. If not well you probably won't loose both eyes. We all have our priorities:eek:

#20 ·
I just read the entire manual and no where did it mention ANY case types.

I did see a YouTube videos where a guy emailed Kel tec and their reply was something along the lines of, aluminum will work, don't use +P aluminum, brass is best.

Should be fine, guess I'll find out next week.
And it will probably work MOST of the time. It's that one or 2 times it MAY NOT work that you worry about. It's your gun. I've only been a member here since late 2005, and I get my jollys from giving people bad information. It's why I spent so much time working on the FAQ.

#22 ·
steel case

I shoot a lot of steel cased ammo in rifle & pistol calibers.
It's cheap, and it's all foreign production.

If I had a firearm that didn't run steel or aluminum cased ammo I don't consider it the firearm's fault. I don't consider steel case dangerous but steel case doesn't expand like brass so I've seen tight chambered firearms not run steel case reliably.

I still have a pile of Wolf steel .45acp I'm running thru, I regularly run it in a Ruger Blackhawk convertible. That's the single action cowboy revolver with cylinders for .45 colt and .45acp. Since .45acp isn't rimmed the chamber is reamed so the neck/end of the cartridge acts as the stop. All brass cased ammo and Wolf steel fits fine, but I picked up several boxes of Silver Bear .45acp (zinc plated steel case) and none of it will seat fully to let the cylinder close. You can barely see the difference side by side with Wolf but not one round of Silver Bear will let me close the cylinder. So all that ammo is out of spec. It runs fine in my old 90's production Colt 1911.

I've stopped buying steel cased 9mm & .45acp. Now I can find brass case ammo for the same price and better quality. Brands like Perfecta & Aguila are as cheap and shoot as good or better, and cleaner.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.