Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've scanned the forum and have found a number of messages concerning problems locking in a magazine with a SW59 Sub 2K. Most folks recommend Mec-gar magazines as having the best luck.

I just picked up a Mec-gar SW59 mag; still won't lock in. Removed the base plate and it fits and locks just fine. Of course, then all the bullets fall out the bottom because there's no baseplate!

Comparing the Kel-Tec mag and the Mec-gar, the Kel-tec is flush on the sides to the faceplate -- it's a straight line.

The Mec-gar, OTOH, has a baseplate that's wider than the magazine. It needs to be wider because it has grooves that slip on the the bottom of the magazine. If I sand off the wider grooves, then it'll fit, but the baseplate will fall off.

So -- the question is: Does anyone know of a SW59 magazine that does not have a baseplate that's wider than the magazine? If not, does anyone know of bad things that'll happen if I grind off the portion of the grip that's interfering with the baseplate? I'm wondering if Kel-Tec made a mod so that only their magazines will fit?

Kel-tec's been useless. They don't return phone calls (when you do get through to leave a message) and the support form on the website doesn't work.

·
Super Moderator
17,764 Posts
The newer Mecgar mags have a thicker plastic floor plate than those made 10 years ago. Your simplest fix would be to block sand about 1/16" off the bottom of your grip, then try the mag for fit. Shave a little more as you test fit until it works. It will not void the warranty.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a 9mm S&W Sub2K, bought in December 2011, and I have been using MecGar magazines with no problem. They appear to be indistinguishable from the magazine that came with the gun, both in appearance and operation.

Here's a thought: mine are all 10-round magazines (because that this what is legal in my state). Are you using larger mags? Maybe they are different.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I believe what he saying is the the lip on the base plate of the magazine rides about 1/16 of inch higher then the 10 rounders and makes it not be able to seat well. Hopefully you get what I mean.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I've scanned the forum and have found a number of messages concerning problems locking in a magazine with a SW59 Sub 2K. Most folks recommend Mec-gar magazines as having the best luck.

I just picked up a Mec-gar SW59 mag; still won't lock in. Removed the base plate and it fits and locks just fine. Of course, then all the bullets fall out the bottom because there's no baseplate!

Comparing the Kel-Tec mag and the Mec-gar, the Kel-tec is flush on the sides to the faceplate -- it's a straight line.

The Mec-gar, OTOH, has a baseplate that's wider than the magazine. It needs to be wider because it has grooves that slip on the the bottom of the magazine. If I sand off the wider grooves, then it'll fit, but the baseplate will fall off.

So -- the question is: Does anyone know of a SW59 magazine that does not have a baseplate that's wider than the magazine? If not, does anyone know of bad things that'll happen if I grind off the portion of the grip that's interfering with the baseplate? I'm wondering if Kel-Tec made a mod so that only their magazines will fit?

Kel-tec's been useless. They don't return phone calls (when you do get through to leave a message) and the support form on the website doesn't work.
Are you able to interchange the baseplates? Or maybe contact mecgar and ask if they have any older model baseplates for sale.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, the bottom of the Kel-tec mag (I think it's a PF-11 magazine) actually makes a right angle at the bottom (on the side). If the bottom of the Kel-Tec magazine (with baseplate -- which really isn't a baseplate, it's more like a cup that's about 1" high) is 1" wide, then the Mec-Gar S&W59 mag is also about 1" wide -- except for the baseplate, which is about 1 1/8" wide. The grip of the Sub 2K is only 1" wide, so only the Kel-Tec mag will fit -- the Mec-gar mag stops when the wider baseplate hits the bottom of the grip. (I'm not saying it's really 1 inch wide -- didn't measure it. Just saying that the Mec-Gar baseplate is wider than the magazine.

I can lay the Kel-tec mag on it's side and it lays flat. If I lay the Mec-Gar on it's side, the bottom is lifted up about 1/16".

Because the bottom of the S&W mag has lips that curl out (which means the baseplate must be wider than the mag), I don't think exchanging the baseplate will work. I'll scout around at the next gun show for different magazine alternatives -- if nothing else, will look at Kel-Tec mags -- although the reason I wanted the Sub 2K was for magazine compatability with my S&W 5906 and Marlin Camp 9. I have some extended (30plus) round magazines -- I figure they'll probably fit since there should be no baseplate issue.

On a good point, was finally able to get a message through to Kel-Tec on their Contact website. Will see if anything comes of it.

Many thanks for the comments!

·
Super Moderator
17,764 Posts
The newer Mecgar mags have a thicker plastic floor plate than those made 10 years ago. Your simplest fix would be to block sand about 1/16" off the bottom of your grip, then try the mag for fit. Shave a little more as you test fit until it works. It will not void the warranty.

???????????????????????????

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, got a reply from Kel-tec:

"The S&W Sub takes the old style 59 series mags, not the newer 5900 series (like the 5906). Yes, the P11 pistol also takes the older S&W mags. If you think it would help to grind the bottom off the grip, you’re free to do so, but it will void your warranty on the receiver."

So, a S&W Sub 2000 isn't really a S&W Sub 2000.

·
Super Moderator
17,764 Posts
Well, that news bites. People grind their Glock 17 gripped Subs down all the time to accept Glock 19 mags, and as far as I have heard this did not void their warranty's. I apologize if it seem's I mislead you. I'll see what I can do to help find you some older style S&W 59 mags.

:eek:

·
Super Moderator
17,764 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ordered a couple of the old-style magazines from CDDN. Also found that my SW 5906 already had a couple of old-style mags that work in the Kel-Tec. I don't think the message I got from Kel-Tec is correct -- 5906 magazines WILL work, but they must be the old-style, not the new-style with the wide baseplate.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The standard S&W 5906 magazines don't have the base pads wider than the magazine like the Mec Gars do. That being said, the 20 rounds Mec Gar mags are designed like the standard S&W factory mags and are only as wide at the base as the magazine tube.

I carried a 5906 series pistol at work for almost 20 years, and I am a factory trained armorer on S&W 3rd gen pistols working for a 325 man department, so I have some experience with the system.

ETA; I still have a ton of these magazines laying around, just went into my man cave to check and confirmed for my memory that the Mec Gar 15 and 17 round flush fit mags are of the same base pad design as the Beretta 92 series mags, the 20 round Mec Gar and S&W factory 15 round mags have the base pads only as wide as the mag tube.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mag alterations

I have a kel tec sub 9 (all aluminum version of sub 2k) and would recommend first of to any future buyer to try and find a sub 9 instead of the 2k.
Moving on...
My mecgar mags seem to work perfect, but I had problems with my 30rd promag clips. The brass would get caught on the front lip of the mag and jam the weapon. I used a dremal tool to shave off about 1/16" of the front and all seem to work just fine. As far as the mag not locking, make sure your spring is aligned well, and not crooked as it can get near the opening of the lock hole. As mentioned you cant go wrong with mecgar.
ALSO, any non mecgar clips I have noticed do not feed flat tip style fmj ammo. The follower does not for some reason raise the front of the round high enough to clear the loading ramp. Gets caught and jams.

·
Registered
4,030 Posts
I ordered some s&w 59 mags from midway ,yesterday. They advertise "flush fit" mags. I believe this style will fit my sub-9, and my 5903. Will post when I recieve them.

·
Registered
4,030 Posts
Ok. Got the mags today. Nice, New, S&W 59 series 9mm luger, 15 rd, stainless steel......fit perfect, manually cycle, and last round hold open, in both Sub-9, and S&W 5903. ;-)

·
Registered
4,030 Posts
question: one of my lgs has 2- 30rd mags used no name. is there aftermarket parts (spring, follower) that i can purchase if they do not function properly?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts