Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sub 2000 with Springfield XD Magazines - Any Update/Product Release Date?

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I saw the earlier thread on modifying the Sub2000 grip and the XD magazines for the catch in a non Glock Sub 2000.

http://www.thektog.org/forum/f85/springfield-xd-magazine-project-sucess-231985/index3.html

1. After reviewing the parts available on the KelTec OEM site, it would appear I'm only risking a $50 grip to make the mod to a Sub 2000 Is this correct?

2. It's been years since a Sub2000 that takes XD mags was announced. Is there a product release date? If it's only redesign of a grip and magazine catch, what's the holdup?

3. For those who made the mods, how has this been working long term?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
You have to modify the grip, the mag catch, and the mag. That's some work. Haven't heard much more about it. Keep in mind it was a gen 1. So you will have to take careful measurements/cuts. Let us know how you do.

It is my understanding that xd and xdm mags do not interchange. Is this true?

·
Premium Member
17,775 Posts
I honestly can't say I have ever heard Kel-tec announce they were making an XD compatible version. As much as I would love one myself, I don't see it happening because of the kind of unique seesaw catch the XD uses to make it ambidextrous. The only way I think you could make it work would be to use a Beretta/S&W/SIG style catch and modify the magazines themselves by cutting notches to fit the catch. And I just haven't been willing to cut on my own XD mags.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I honestly can't say I have ever heard Kel-tec announce they were making an XD compatible version.
Kel-Tec’s New Sub2000 Ver. 2.0
January 20th, 2015
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/01/20/kel-tecs-new-sub2000-ver-2-0/

"One of the reps from Kel-Tec, said that they will be putting out 9 or 10 different versions of this gun. Caliber swaps and magazine options. They plan to make S&W M&P and Springfield XD compatible versions. However those are for later in the next coming years."

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I recognize that the US handgun market is fragmented among 8-10 manufacturers and dominated by Glock with 65% of the LEO sales and an unpublished number of civilian sales.

Springfield is probably ranked 5th to 8th in handgun sales, so I understand why a carbine using XD or XDM magazines would not be a priority...especially with SIG Sauer's and S&W's increasing handgun sales in 2016 and 2017.

Perhaps I should try a Mech Tech XD Carbine Conversion unit?

http://mechtechsys.com/xd-carbine-conversion/

·
Premium Member
17,775 Posts
Oh believe me I want one too. But I am not holding my breath based on dreams of unicorns and baby pigeons for the last 10+ years. The Metaltechs do seem to have a decent reputation even if they are a little heavier than a Sub. Good luck on what you decide.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I cut a notch in one of my XD mags and it works fine in my Marlin Camp 9 and Sub2k as well as still functioning perfectly in my XD:

Measure twice, cut once. I used a hack saw and a small file to clean up the edges.

·
Premium Member
17,775 Posts
I dont have an XD, but wouldnt it be possible to modify a S2K mag catch instead of the mag?
XD magazines have a center notch, and the buttons can be pressed from either side to move a see-saw - or as I like to call it a wigwag - catch. Making it a true ambidextrous release. But a very different animal from anything Kel-tec makes.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Unless you live in a blue state why worry about a Springfield low capacity mag version? Glock mags/drums are everywhere, and reliable. The Korean mags work fine in my Subbie.

KT should spend their time and $ to get a LRBHO Gen3 with retro kits for us G2 guys. :p

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Kel-Tec - No Response to Sub2K with XD Magazines

Kel-Tec is prompt to respond on Facebook, but has not responded to the Facebook message sent last week on this topic, so we know what the no-answer answer is.

It's clear I should seek another platform for my hi-cap, 32 rd, Springfield XD magazines.

This is the 3rd time I've optimistically considered a Kel-Tec weapon. It would appear not much has advanced........Great concepts, good engineering, low production, very slow on new product releases, sets high expectations, slow to deliver on promises, does not communicate well.

I'll revisit the Kel-Tec product line in 2-3 years.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
It's clear I should seek another platform for my hi-cap, 32 rd, Springfield XD magazines.

This is the 3rd time I've optimistically considered a Kel-Tec weapon. It would appear not much has advanced........Great concepts, good engineering, low production, very slow on new product releases, sets high expectations, slow to deliver on promises, does not communicate well.

I'll revisit the Kel-Tec product line in 2-3 years.
Um, did you miss the part where a member has successfully used XDm mags?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.