Sub 2000 Warranty Problems

Discussion in 'Sub9 and Sub2000 Rifles' started by Edward9871, Sep 24, 2019.

1. Edward9871

Edward9871 Member

Sep 24, 2019
    I am new to this forum but I came here to post situation with my brand new Glock sub 2000 gen 2.

This is a warning to anyone who is considering buying a sub 2000.

I had been considering buying a sub 2000 for years. Did research - and for the most part everything I saw or read said that the sub 2000 was good to go except for some cheaper parts that could be replaced with better after market parts (Mcarbo).

So when I saw them at my local dealer I decided to pull the trigger and get one. I looked at a total of 3 guns at the dealership. 2 had canted sights right of the bat, but the 3rd seemed to be ok.

So, I decided to go and purchase then gun. I took the gun home and said... Time for some Mcarbo parts! - well... after ordering almost 400 dollars in Mcarbo parts - I said to myself... Now you are in this little gun at to high of a cost - but what the heck... It will be nice when it is done.

I once again smiled to myself and picked up my sub 2000 when I noticed something wrong with my new gun.

It had vertical movement up and down when the rifle was in the extended and locked position. Now the horror of what I just purchased set in..... A piece of junk.

I searched the internet and found at least one other person who had this issue. Some of the advise said to make sure the barrel nut was not loose. So I took off the barrel fore-end stock and guess what I see? A tight barrel nut that is Broken (top half of nut gone). Obviously some brain damaged individual put this gun together.

Now the second horror hit me..... Kel Tec does not have Good QA and one or more of their employees does not care about the quality of their work, nor the possible danger that could result from a defective build.

So, after a few moments of buyers remorse... I decided to call Kel- Tech on a warranty repair. The first thing I told their tec department was that my brand new gun was defective and the barrel moves up and down when locked. Before I could even get time to tell the guy about the broken nut..... I was told, " There is nothing wrong with your gun... All sub 2000's are suppose to do that! ".

This is when the 3rd horror hit me... This Kel Tec guy is a severely brain damaged individual and now I have to eat a bad gun.

Well, I decided to hang up on this guy and call again to see if I could get a different individual. The new person I got in contact with almost told me the same exact response, However... I was able to this time tell him that the barrel nut was broken. He said if the barrel nut was broken to send the gun back for repair - but he could not promise that the barrel lock-up movement could be fixed.

Now, This is my story and warning to all. If Kel Tec was ever a great company.... Those days are long gone. If you decide to purchase a sub 2000 or any other Kel Tec gun, better make sure you take a long time inspecting every bit of the gun and if you have to call for warranty repair - you might be in for a rude awakening.

SUB-2000HingeFlex.gif

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
  2. Ricky Red

Ricky Red Active Member

Sep 18, 2019
    First off a pretty harsh first post. I’m,not a veteran here. I have a sub 2k so I have first hand experience with mine. I bought mine a month ago because I saw all of the upgrades available through Mcarbo. I bought a 9mm g 17. Shot it in stock form it was ok but it could be improved. I bought the trigger package along with some other upgrades. I took it to keltec as I’m within a hour from then. Their customer service is second to none. Upgrades done in 45 minutes and retained factory warranty. I also did a factory tour last month and was impressed totally with the whole operation. I own 4 keltec firearms and they all work as they should. I own plenty of higher end arms but keltec is unique and do work. Give them a chance to repair your problems. And again the Mcarbo parts are top notch and put that Sub on top of the competition. The sub is my favorite range toy now. Chill out my friend.

dred, campesino, Ken Cotzin and 3 others like this.

3. wanderson

wanderson Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Is that a pic of a gen 1 on your post?
    So that’s not your gun? Or a pic of your issue?
    You said you rejected the first two after inspecting them.
    Was the barrel nut OK on this one out of the box?
    I’ll admit I don’t give my new firearms purchases a 12 point inspection, I give them a quick look over and check for known problems but if I’m buying new from a reputable dealer I save that for when I get home.

I’ve bought five KTs over the years and only had to send one back, a CMR30 that failed on day one.
    KT service was fast, got a shipping label 24 hours after opening tkt and got mine back in less than 3 weeks, no issues since.

Give KT a chance to make it right. Sounds like you’re more upset over spending $400 on upgrades for a firearm you haven’t vetted yet.

dred, campesino, Jimmy Hoffa and 2 others like this.
  4. pasonik

pasonik Member

Aug 14, 2014
    I bought a 1st gen Sub 2000 in hard chrome during the crazy days a few years ago. I was insane enough to pay $999 for it. It ran fine until the plastic feed ramp broke apart. So I ordered parts from M*Carbo and installed them and now the thing just runs flawlessly. I just bought a Kel-Tec PMR 30 so I'm hoping it will be trouble free.

dred likes this.
  5. Dubar

Dubar Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2018
    Send it to me free of charge plus you pay the postage, I promise I'll give it a good home ;)

Did you shoot it before you modified it with MCarbo parts? Did you shoot it after you modified it with MCarbo parts?

Ricky Red, dred and Jimmy Hoffa like this.
  6. RAT76

RAT76 Well-Known Member

He hasn't been around since he posted.

Edward9871 was last seen: Tuesday at 6:55 PM

7. Jimmy Hoffa

Jimmy Hoffa Active Member

May 23, 2019
    Orlando
    Welcome to the forum. Did you try the gun out prior to modifications? Maybe I'm a cautious guy but I like to try any gun prior to making modifications to verify what the effect is. Before and after.

I've had zero problems with my SUB-2K but only have about 500 rounds through it. It did go back to Kel-Tec for upgraded furniture. They sent me a label and I Fedexed it on a Wednesday, got it back Saturday morning! IMHO that's as good as it gets.

Ricky Red, dred and Dubar like this.
  8. tiehshau

tiehshau Active Member

Feb 5, 2018
    I've had nothing but great service from KelTec. Broken firing pin on my PMR30 returned within a week and the barrel recall on my subie 40 S&W again returned within a week.

Jimmy Hoffa and Ricky Red like this.
  9. Ricky Red

Ricky Red Active Member

Sep 18, 2019
    I don’t know what is the problem as I have nothing but first class service.

dred and Jimmy Hoffa like this.
  10. campesino

campesino Member

Jul 28, 2019
    i bought a 2nd gen but haven't shot it yet. my p32,p11 & 3at all work wonderfully, however. i have heard nothing but good about their customer service, also. do you have an update for us or were you just wanting to blow some steam?

11. RAT76

RAT76 Well-Known Member

Still hasn't been back.

I'm thinking it's one of these critters.

trolls.gif

I could be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time.

Kiloseven, mtn_chef, dred and 3 others like this.
  12. Ricky Red

Ricky Red Active Member

Sep 18, 2019
    I don’t know what is the problem as I have nothing but first class service. You are probably on target with your thoughts.

dred likes this.
  13. JamestownNC

JamestownNC Member

Sep 11, 2011
    NC
    I'm not buying it (no pun intended). That's not a GEN2. Why would you pay $400 for upgrades on a carbine that you apparently never shot and you didn't notice such an obvious defect? Mine has functioned perfectly. I have 3 KT's now, PLR-22, CMR-30 and the Sub 2000 Glock mag and wouldn't sell any of them. The 22LR and 22WMR are picky on ammunition but once you figure that out you're set. I had a P3AT many years ago and that was the only one I had to return for service (fast and free). I sold it to upgrade to a S&W Bodyguard, I thought and kick myself to this day. The trigger on that S&W was terrible and I sold it very quickly. Wish I had the P3AT back.

campesino, Ricky Red and Jimmy Hoffa like this.
  14. Ricky Red

Ricky Red Active Member

Sep 18, 2019
    Just another hater I’d say. He needs to go play with his pelosi blow up doll.

15. Ricky Red

Ricky Red Active Member

Sep 18, 2019
    You will love the pmr. I have had mine for 2yrs and it’s been flawless. Only problem with mine it likes to eat a lot. I also have a cmr and it’s a hungry varmit too. LOL

campesino likes this.
  16. Brasky

Brasky Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2017
    Just another troll

Jimmy Hoffa likes this.
  17. Richard Volta

Richard Volta Member

May 3, 2019
    That sounds very unusual. Every time I had to deal with Kel-Tec Service they were great.Maybe u got someone that wasn’t familiar with the Sub2k!

Jimmy Hoffa likes this.
  18. Dubar

Dubar Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2018
    Never said WHO put in the MCarbo parts. So I'm guessing the OP. Watch that stone throwing, they may bounce back at you!

19. wanderson

wanderson Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    I don’t doubt someone paid as much in parts as the cost of a gun and started modding before firing & verifying the gun itself.
    I also don’t doubt that someone may have gotten a faulty Sub2k with the issue described.

I DO find it hard to believe that KT wouldn’t try to fix it.
    Considering the OP hasn’t added anything to this thread, either it’s on it’s way to KT, the OP never actually opened a repair ticket, or all this is BS.

20. RAT76

RAT76 Well-Known Member

option number three

mtn_chef likes this.