Sub 2000 "Stock Saddle"

Discussion in 'Sub9 and Sub2000 Rifles' started by clicco, Sep 4, 2017.

1. clicco

clicco Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Fellow Sub 2K Owners,

New member...

Recently, while enjoying my sub 2K, gen 2, at the range, I thought how no it would be if it had a better/more ergonomic cheek rest. To the best of my research, I haven't found anything online that anyone has tried to do what I came up with, so I'm posting this to show you all what I did, to see what people think about it, and to see if someone else might have a better/more elegant way of executing my concept.

I dug into my closet and found my old CAA AR-15 stock saddle. After some rough dremel work, here's what I came up with (see pictures). Ignore the electrical tape, as it is only there temporarily, to hold it in-place, as a proof of concept. My plan is to affix the CAA saddle to the rubber buffer tube cover using a high-temperature resistant super glue. One of the screws of clamp of the stock saddle is inserted through the existing loop/hole in the factory stock (not sure what that loop/hole is actually intended for?). Also, I plan to put some kind of rubber (possibly a bicycle tire inner tube?) inside of the stock saddle, to make up for the difference in diameter between the AR-15 and sub 2K buffer tubes.

IMG_0784.JPG IMG_0785.JPG

IMG_0786.JPG
    By cutting away the right side of the stock saddle, it still gives me easy access to the charging handle and allows me to lock the bolt back.

The rifle still folds in-half, but the very thin plastic of the stock saddle is just barely enough that the two halves no longer click/lock in the closed position (not a big deal, IMO).

Bottom line is that it is definitely a more comfortable/more ergonomic cheek rest. It has the added benefit of giving you one storage tube, which you could keep batteries, cleaning supplies, etc inside.

nikos01 likes this.
  2. clicco

clicco Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Update on stock saddle project:
    1. I used two nylon, stainless steel, #6 lock nuts to secure the stock saddle to the clamp.
    2. I used my dremel to make some additional cuts to the right side of the stock saddle, to provide additional clearance to reach the charging handle.
    3. I used a couple of different grits of sandpaper to smooth out the cut plastic.
    4. I used JB Weld to secure the cheek rest portion of the stock saddle to the rubber stock sleeve.
    IMG_0787.JPG IMG_0788.JPG IMG_0789.JPG

So far, I'm really liking this mod. It gives a much more ergonomic/comfortable cheek weld and actually also allows me to get behind the iron sights better than before. I also found that I am able to lift up on the locking lever on the stock and lock the carbine in the folded position.

If I ever decided to remove this mod, it would only require removing the nylon locking nuts, removing the stock saddle clamp, and the sliding the rubber stock sleeve off.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017

3. 850sub

850sub Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Pensacola
    To each their own.
    Welcome to the club!
    And thanks for all the details and pics!

4. leadsled

leadsled Member

Oct 20, 2016
    Austin, Tx
    Dremel that thing off of your pistol grip...

BlakeHanson, Bonish_Photo and coolcat like this.
  5. Popeye1959

Popeye1959 Active Member

Jan 18, 2013
    I guess as long as it does what you want it to do, then it's a success. I just use the Tacticool buffer tube cover on my Gen 1. But then, I don't shoot it for long extended amounts of time either.

Regarding the thing on the pistol grip, I'm guessing that's to make the rifle California compliant?

6. silverback

silverback Member

Jun 5, 2016
    El paso texas
    How far back do you rest your cheek. I am used to.nose to charging handle AR so I rest my check more forward. I would think added padding on that side. Gluing more soft rubber on top of ya tacticool buffer tube cover. Just brought weapon to cheek doesn't work for me. It works just the way it is as I wouldn't be able to get right sight pic.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  7. own7

own7 Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Very Nice. I got a pretty good result with zero effort. I cut a piece of foam pipe insulation to length and just put it on.

8. clicco

clicco Member

Sep 4, 2017
    The thing that I should dremel off of my pistol grip is a "grip fin", which is unfortunately required in order to make certain rifles "featureless" under California law.

There's no issue with eye relief, since I use a red dot.

HatRon56 likes this.
  9. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Active Member

Aug 27, 2015
    COMMIES.......................