Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a used Sub 2000 I could not get the safety to go from safe to fire. After some looking and getting the exploded view I noticed the safety pin was keeping it from moving. If I push the safety pin down with a screwdriver then I can switch from safe to fire, but then I push it back to safe the pin keeps it from going back. I'm assuming when you push the safety the pin is supposed to move so the safety will operate correct? Any guidance or troubleshooting tips would be appreciated, thanks

·
Super Moderator
17,775 Posts
I'm going to ask what may seem like a dumb question but do you have the Sub cocked and ready to fire? It will not go into safe unless it is. I know it sounds counter to good gun safety but the vast majority of guns with manual safeties are made this way.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm going to ask what may seem like a dumb question but do you have the Sub cocked and ready to fire? It will not go into safe unless it is. I know it sounds counter to good gun safety but the vast majority of guns with manual safeties are made this way.
It will go to safe but not back to fire unless I use a screwdriver to press the safety pin I circled down.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
17,775 Posts
That pin should have a more rounded ball tip to it so it slips into the safety shaft when you press the safety. Your needing to press it down may be a preexisting condition since it is used. You should either try to order a replacement pin, or contact Kel-tec to have it done there. I believe they charge a $40 flat labor fee for non-warranty repairs. Their warranty only applies to the original owner.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Is the C-clip on the other side of it, just like the side in your Pic? That detent shouldn't come out far enough for you to see it like that.
Yes it is there, here is a picture. So you are saying the safety should not go over far enough for that little pin to pop out?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
17,775 Posts
Yes it is there, here is a picture. So you are saying the safety should not go over far enough for that little pin to pop out?
The C-clips are as far as it should seat in each direction. Yes the pin will pop out in Safe mode. They are there as position stops to keep the shaft from going too far in either direction. I still believe your issue is that pin looks like it was galled up so it won't move easily It should be round and smooth like the ball on the end of a straight pin. It goes into the shaft as you push it to Fire and the spring pressure from that pin presses against the hole to keep the shaft from drifting back out of Fire. Push comes to shove you can simply remove that safety shaft and use safe trigger control. A couple members in here have done that very thing. I personally very rarely even use the safety. That's not an official recommendation endorsed by this forum, but it is an option.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts