Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got my Kel-Tec Sub 2000 Gen 2 9mm to the range yesterday. It performed flawlessly with factory 115gr, 124gr, and 124gr commercial reloads. I only fired it at 25yds. It was just a shakedown trip for it after all. Grouping was good with all ammo. It was shooting about 4" low and 4" left but I neglected to bring the manual and didn't remember how to adjust sights, so just used "Kentucky windage" and elevation? with good results. I have the AR 15 sight tool which works perfect on the Sub 2000 sights. I've made a few adjustments at home so we'll see how it goes next trip.
As has been noted repeatedly, to get a good sight picture with the factory sight requires an uncomfortable, forced cheek weld.
Have any of you replaced the factory rear sight on the Sub 2000 with the McCarbo folding rear sight? I see it's taller and some say it makes for a much more comfortable cheek weld position. They offer it in peep or notched, I prefer peep. I see the upsides being it is a metal sight, it folds down if you want to use optics, the peep has a larger aperture and it raises the sight picture. At this point the only downside I see is price. I may or may not use an optical sight in the future, but for now I'd just like to try out a different type of open sight. Are there other sights along the lines of the McCarbo made by other companies? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Like you, I prefer peep sights, but due to poor sight in my right eye, I removed both the front and rear and put on a cheap Red Dot that I've had for years. It works great but I too have diff getting my cheek low enough with ear protectors on which are a necessity. Also the adjuster (or whatever its called...don't see any reason for it) on top of the butt piece pokes my cheek and pushes up the ear protector. I've ordered a one inch riser for the RD which I hope will make it more comfortable.

FYI, ProMag makes 17 round capacity mags which are exactly the same length as the OEM 10 that came with the rifle.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Member Coldfire created taller 3D printable sights... Kel-tec SUB 2000 Gen 2 Sight by coldfire0200
If you can't print yourself you can have an online company do it for you, I used JawsTec, it cost like $10 shipped for both sizes 2 years ago.
The taller one required a taller front post adjusted way up. I never tried the shorter because I wanted the most comfort but I bet it would work with the stock front post.
They are a little thicker putting a little strain on the clip that holds the rifle closed. I'm sure you could file it a bit thinner, I didn't bother.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Member Coldfire created taller 3D printable sights... Kel-tec SUB 2000 Gen 2 Sight by coldfire0200
If you can't print yourself you can have an online company do it for you, I used JawsTec, it cost like $10 shipped for both sizes 2 years ago.
What did you order? JawsTec has several printing technologies, each with several materials, and several colors . . . of course it looks like you got it in black.

Larry

·
Registered
470 Posts
What did you order? JawsTec has several printing technologies, each with several materials, and several colors . . . of course it looks like you got it in black.

Larry
Here's a copy of my email confirmation...

JawsTec 3D Print Job
  • Snapshot :
  • File Info :
    File: SUB2000_Sight_Rev_2.stl
    Material: MJF Nylon
    Volume: 2789.91 mm3
    Box Size: 28.00mm x 49.80mm x 11.20mm
    Color Option: Black
    Finish Option: Vapor Polished
    Comments:
1$2.52
JawsTec3D Print Job
  • Snapshot :
  • File Info :
    File: SUB2000_Sight_Rev_2_Tall.stl
    Material: MJF Nylon
    Volume: 3039.95 mm3
    Box Size: 28.00mm x 54.80mm x 11.20mm
    Color Option: Black
    Finish Option: Vapor Polished
    Comments:
1$2.70

·
Registered
24 Posts
S2K is a quirky bit of bidness and takes some familiarization. I've seen lots of people get it wrong.
My version is the 9mm with M&P mags to go with my 9mm M&P pistol
Sighting with the factory aperture was sketchy.
I was heeling the S2K in anticipation of the factory trigger (tractor) pull.
Facial hair was snagging between the recoil tube and stock.
Overall unpleasant experience.

Solutions:
Get extra safety detent springs, detents, and c-clips from Kel-Tec before you do the work. They're cheap and invaluable. Please take my word for it.
Purchase a spare rear sight from Kel-Tec and open the aperture to 0.170" for close range work. This is super easy and can be done by hand with a twist drill bit. Don't use power tools.
Replace the entire trigger assembly with the Galloway Precision Sub-2000 Short Stroke Trigger Kit.
There really isn't a cheek weld to speak of on the S2K. I put a wrap of electrical tape around the recoil tube to go under the stock to stop the facial hair snags.
Put the lowest end of the stock in the caracoid process of the shoulder. (the shoulder pocket)
Go to work. It should be good now, feel like a 9mm/40S&W mouse fart, and make you giggle.
The best part is learning how to unfold it, get on target, and go to work in one smooth motion. It turns heads every.single.time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts