Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to give you all at the KTOG a head's up on the new part MCARBO just released today for the Sub2k; the Rapid Deployment Latch.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
already ordered mine! :)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no, i do not work for, nor affiliated with MCARBO. i just like their stuffs

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
gonna install the Odin Zulu buttstock on my Sub2000, i will have to shave the latch off eventually. but for 15$ i couldnt resist buying one for now.

Reactions: Missionary

·
Registered
715 Posts
:D

One of the few things Maine doesn't allow is a concealed rifle, so the new latch is of no use for me. IDKW, maybe due to F&G violations? I can carry a rifle openly (I'm talking legally, not practically) but concealed? Nope. I wonder how the city folk would react to seeing a rifle in the shopping cart? That's the practical aspect of carrying a rifle openly. I think I'd be talking to the Tac' squad if I did.

Rut Ro! I did carry the Sub2k concealed in a laptop case for awhile then found out about the legality of it and stopped (again, Maine). EDCing a handgun will have to do until TEOTWAWKI. At that time it won't be the sub2k I carry but something with far more horsepower, but going to the supermarket won't be on any days agenda either. FWIW, criminals can break the law and not care, so who does the law hinder? I know we here are all on the same page. Some laws just irk me. I like the freedom to choose what I do. I've been a CC permit holder since '82, have no record of importance (1 speeding ticket, though it should be more), and don't have plans of entering a life of crime at this stage of my life. I can and do EDC a handgun, but a concealed rifle larger in size than my handgun is verboten. It's just not worth swimming upstream to get the law changed. No one will care enough about it for it to ever gain traction. But if the law changes I'll be all over the latch like stink on a turd.

·
Registered
187 Posts
One of the few things Maine doesn't allow is a concealed rifle, so the new latch is of no use for me. IDKW, maybe due to F&G violations? I can carry a rifle openly (I'm talking legally, not practically) but concealed? Nope. I wonder how the city folk would react to seeing a rifle in the shopping cart? That's the practical aspect of carrying a rifle openly. I think I'd be talking to the Tac' squad if I did.
Curiosity pokes the cat.

I don't understand how they can possibly enforce the law as you've interpreted it. If your interpretation is accurate, rifle cases are illegal in Maine. Or, ME has the countries only clear rifle cases, or youz guyz have to paint rifle on the outside of the case in 5" red block letters.

My belief is that putting your s2k in a laptop bag transforms the bag into a rifle case. My expectation is that they don't want you walking around with a rifle stuck down your pant leg or tied to your shoulder under your trench coat. Basically they don't want you Trumping the police and meeting their six shooter with a surprise rifle.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Curiosity pokes the cat.

I don't understand how they can possible enforce the law as you've interpreted it. IIf your interpretation is accurate, rifle cases are illegal in Maine. Or, ME has the countries only clear rifle cases, or youz guyz have to paint rifle on the outside of the case in 5" red block letters.

My belief is that putting your s2k in a laptop bag transforms the bag into a rifle case. My expectation is that they don't want you walking around with a rifle stuck down your pant leg or tied under your arm under your trench coat.
Exactly.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Curiosity pokes the cat.

I don't understand how they can possible enforce the law as you've interpreted it. IIf your interpretation is accurate, rifle cases are illegal in Maine. Or, ME has the countries only clear rifle cases, or youz guyz have to paint rifle on the outside of the case in 5" red block letters.

My belief is that putting your s2k in a laptop bag transforms the bag into a rifle case. My expectation is that they don't want you walking around with a rifle stuck down your pant leg or tied under your arm under your trench coat.
Loaded rifles. Sorry, I needed to explain that better. In my mind EDC means loaded. If I wanted to EDC an unloaded rifle that would be fine. I can EDC with a loaded mag, just not in the gun. That slows things down to the unacceptably level for me; unfold it, swing the sight into place, put the mag in and slam it home, then charge it. So yes, technically it can be done. Yes, the latch would speed it up marginally but not worth it IMO. If the mag was in the gun already that would make a huge difference IMO. Or if the gun was an arm braced handgun or a SBR, then all I'd need to do would be to slam the mag in and charge it. In my mind much faster. But frankly I didn't put it to the clock.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
:D

Rut Ro! I did carry the Sub2k concealed in a laptop case for awhile then found out about the legality of it and stopped (again, Maine). EDCing a handgun will have to do until TEOTWAWKI. At that time it won't be the sub2k I carry but something with far more horsepower, but going to the supermarket won't be on any days agenda either. FWIW, criminals can break the law and not care, so who does the law hinder? I know we here are all on the same page. Some laws just irk me. I like the freedom to choose what I do. I've been a CC permit holder since '82, have no record of importance (1 speeding ticket, though it should be more), and don't have plans of entering a life of crime at this stage of my life. I can and do EDC a handgun, but a concealed rifle larger in size than my handgun is verboten. It's just not worth swimming upstream to get the law changed. No one will care enough about it for it to ever gain traction. But if the law changes I'll be all over the latch like stink on a turd.
that is crazy that you can carry (legally) a pistol concealed but not a rifle when you have a CCP (concealed carry permit). i live in Oregon and you can tote the s2k around concealed if you have a CCP. also i do like the laws here, long-guns (rifles and shotguns) are in a different class than pistol (obviously); but Oregon does not prohibit the open carrying of long guns in a vehicle; and by definition, the Sub2k is a rifle. i can have my loaded Sub2k on my passenger seat (as i often do).

·
Registered
58 Posts
Pistol build ?
Zactly. Really, a concealed pistol that switches to rifle when you throw on a stock, then switches back to pistol when you take the stock off. Can't be done when the SUB-2000 ships from Kel-Tec as a rifle, but if I were to build my own pistol w/ 16" bbl, I could go back & forth. Handy w/ Texas laws, can't enter a WalMart selling beer w/ a rifle, but a concealed pistol all day w/ my License To Carry.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Zactly. Really, a concealed pistol that switches to rifle when you throw on a stock, then switches back to pistol when you take the stock off. Can't be done when the SUB-2000 ships from Kel-Tec as a rifle, but if I were to build my own pistol w/ 16" bbl, I could go back & forth. Handy w/ Texas laws, can't enter a WalMart selling beer w/ a rifle, but a concealed pistol all day w/ my License To Carry.
check this out

Reactions: RevolverLover

·
Registered
58 Posts
Neat, but I need a pistol that pops into legal rifle territory & back again for Texas legal purposes. The Fold-AR can do so, but at a price I'm not willing to pay @ the moment.

·
Registered
715 Posts
that is crazy that you can carry (legally) a pistol concealed but not a rifle when you have a CCP (concealed carry permit).
I agree, the law is crazy. But I'm certain it's due to F&G laws and jacking. So why is it unacceptable during the day? IDK and won't hazard a guess. It might make for an interesting court case that I don't want to pay to fight and most likely lose. To make it even nuttier, I can have a loaded magazine, it just can't be inserted in the uncased rifle. If I was jacking that one movement and closing the bolt happens pretty fast. So to me, yeah, it makes no sense to have the folded rifle in a closed case even with a mag' locked in place. The law hasn't caught up with the times? Maybe. Like I'm going to jack deer in the supermarket?

But I can EDC a handgun. Arm brace it and I'm still golden to conceal it or have it loaded in the car at night with a can on it. Pay the $200 SBR tax and it becomes a rifle and we're back to no mag in it when concealed (cased). It's the exact same firearm that was a handgun before the tax was paid but now SBRed can't be kept loaded in the car. How would a cop know it has been SBRed? IDK, but I wouldn't chance it, but a dirtbag wouldn't think twice, except most dirtbags can't afford that stuff. That's why they buy FMJ ammo; it's the cheapest ammo they can buy, and ammo is ammo, right?

Maine's a fairly free state when it comes to firearm ownership (federal laws only), but the F&G laws are where things get complicated and one can inadvertently get caught. I would hope intent would be taken into account, but it would be foolish to count on that. Too, will a game warden be checking me in the supermarket? Not likely, but again, I'm not going to chance it. With my luck if a cop should, on the highly improbable chance check me, he might call a game warden if he knows that law... in the supermarket, just in case I was jacking deer there, in the daytime. You never know what a latent criminal like me will do. Especially if the LEOs like the firearm that they see. Odds are they would never even know to check me since I EDC correctly and stay under the radar, but I won't chance it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts