Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My cousin's in school and part of the navy reserve. He came over to visit, and saw my sub 2000 and I said you've probably never seen such a quirky gun. To my surprise, he said he had. In fact, he saw it on a school field trip to take a navy seal qualification PT test. Apparently the testing facility had a small exhibit of donated guns and the seals had donated a few of their preferences as gifts. In the display were two sub 2000's demonstrating the folding concept.

Anyone else heard of a country, branch or unit possibly using the subbie?

·
Premium Member
17,775 Posts
No. But they were originally designed and intended for law enforcement use, as a way to extend the usable range of their handguns without having to have a different caliber and magazines.

Reactions: KeltecOwner

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
The original Sub-9 however, will bring a smile to any veteran who shot a sub gun in WW-II. More refined, lighter weight, more reliable and just as deadly.
Oh, and it folds in half!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I love mine but if I was issued one in a military unit, I wouldn't be too happy about it. It's a great range gun, home defense gun, truck gun and maybe shtf gun, but it's not a go to war, service weapon.
Not denying that, just posting what he said, surprised me too.

That said, with a few metal part upgrades, is it really that inferior as a product? I'm not denying a 9mm semi might be under powered, but I mean it's a steel, aluminum and polymer setup, not all that different than an AR or a glock?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The original Sub-9 however, will bring a smile to any veteran who shot a sub gun in WW-II. More refined, lighter weight, more reliable and just as deadly.
Oh, and it folds in half!
How different is a sub 9 vs the newer gen 2? Is it that much more smooth in action, or just the aluminum receiver that puts it a step above?

I've read comments saying these guns basically a semi auto, closed bolt sten gun.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Not denying that, just posting what he said, surprised me too.

That said, with a few metal part upgrades, is it really that inferior as a product? I'm not denying a 9mm semi might be under powered, but I mean it's a steel, aluminum and polymer setup, not all that different than an AR or a glock?
Apologies if I came across as argumentative

I think so yeah, very different. You could literally break one of these in half if you tried. Taking it fully apart while changing the grip panels to convert it from G19 to multi-mag, really opened my eyes to the frailty of the receiver. It would need a complete receiver redesign. Making the grip panels aluminum instead of thin polymer for example, would still leave it held together by pins, have the barrel held mostly by its pivot pin and the buffer tube held by the ribs in the frame that correspond to the holes in the tube. I was shocked when I saw that but hey, it works great. It's a great design, very innovative and reliable but just not robust enough for hard military use.

Don't get me wrong, I love mine but I know it's limits....well, my opinion of it's limits I should say.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.