sub 2000 heavy weight bolt

Discussion in 'Sub9 and Sub2000 Rifles' started by Saltlick, Apr 25, 2020.

1. Saltlick

Saltlick Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2020
    Hi KTOG friends! i would really like some information regarding the heavyweight bolt that KelTec offers on their website. how much difference does it make? is it worth $45.00? anyone who owns one, please chime in with pros and cons!

thanks in advance!
    2020-04-25_1953.png

2. rex_havok

rex_havok Member

Apr 8, 2020
    I think the mcarbo charging handle adds more weight and inertia to the blowback action, serving more of the same purpose for less. But if you already have that part installed, this could help more.

Saltlick likes this.

3. tvdoc

tvdoc Member

Oct 22, 2015
    I have had my Gen2 40sw for probably 4 years and until two weeks ago I did not enjoy it at all . The recoil was sharp and it continually would eat up the rear of my ejection port because I think the bolt velocity was so large it was turning spent brass completely around and hitting port. After I bought rifle, I added the heavy bolt. In my opinion not much difference noticed at the time. However a couple weeks ago I added the heavy Mcarbo handle. The combination of two finally made a difference. Recoil felt less and my homemade ejection port protector showed no signs of damage. I am pleased. No issues ejecting with the combo. Personally I think the 40 needs a heavier bolt standard from factory. Long story short, heavy bolt and heavy handle works for me.

Saltlick likes this.
  4. BJK

BJK Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2017
    central Maine
    I added the heavy bolt weight years ago. Not so much for recoil because the 9mm I have it in is almost a mousegun, but for more mass to help prevent feeding malfunctions. I have no idea if I would have gotten malfunctions without it, but I know I haven't gotten any when I feed the gun the brass cased ammo that it likes. Heck, I use it with my butterfly fart minor power factor competition loads and I thought that might be a problem but it isn't.

Is it worth the $45? I can't tell you.

Saltlick likes this.
  5. aks2k

aks2k Member

Sep 24, 2019
    I'd be all over this if I can get this here in canada.

Saltlick likes this.
  6. Saltlick

Saltlick Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2020
    UPDATE: I received, and installed, the heavy-weight bolt today and put 50 cartridges through the weapon. Noticeable decrease in recoil, the heavy-weight bolt is worth every penny!! Can't wait to finalize the lowest recoil possible for the weapon by installing the recoil buffer, the recoilless charging handle and the buttstock pad.

7. BJK

BJK Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2017
    central Maine
    You might not be able to get it in Canada, but I bet you can find a machinist who can make one. It's much less than rocket science. All you need are the dimensions and a drawing; brass or bronze would work fine.

I can't do any of that now, but are you interested beyond curiosity? That is, do you intend to get one made? I don't want to spend the time measuring it up if you don't intend to get it made. It'll cost more to get one machined than the mass produced one that KT has for sale.

Saltlick likes this.