Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

Sub 2000 gen 2 charging handle stuck

9K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  donpirtle 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I found myself cleaning some rifles last night and it was real late and decided to clean sub 2000 last. For some dumb reason, as I reassembled the bolt and went to insert handle, I pulled tube back some so I could make sure recoil spring sat right on end cap. I pushed handle into opening and went to push handle and bolt forward but noticed I had put handle in slot directly behind firing pin. So now handle is seated with the firing pin kind of holding it in place. How do I get it out of there?? Not first time assembling it, but feel like a newbie. Any help or is this the unicorn of screwups.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
How?! I'm trying to replicate this to help figure a way to undo it. Is the pin past the rib on the handle? Or just wedged in? I can't get mine to pass the firing pin.

OK I was able to do it. Firstly I took the bolt out of the weapon and did have to push the firing pin in to allow it to pass. It got stuck halfway and then I pushed a bit more and it's locked past the rib into the recess. I used a pointed angled pick to depress the firing pin to release the handle.

On my gen 2 I can release it if I bring it to the hold open cutout. I tried other picks and pokey metal tools I have but only the 45 degree angled pick works to get in there. If you are near West Palm Beach I'd be glad to help.

#3 ·
bulldog7926's fix looks like it might work. The only other thing I could possibly recommend is to work the charging handle back and forth in line with the tube while maintaining pulling pressure on it and see if it will work its way back over the firing pin. The slot in the bottom of the bolt will hopefully allow you a little wiggle room for this. :confused:

#4 ·
Yes the pen is past the firing pin sitting on that curve rib . That's exactly how I did it. I'm running around right now but I will try to find an angle pic to get it out. I'm sure I'll have a better chance of getting it done today it was just late last night and I was tired and frustrated LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.