Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
For my sub2k I used the formula for power factor from competition. If my load met or exceeded minor PF I knew it would function. I don't think you'll find ANY ammo designed for anti-personnel use that doesn't exceed minor PF and maybe even approaches major PF.

But for competition I absolutely loved shooting slow moving 165s (9mm) the recoil was a slow push on the shoulder. Understand that everything is relative and that slow push was as compared to a faster moving lightweight projectile (115s-124s). Note that it might be difficult to find commercially loaded very heavy for the caliber 160s/165s in 9mm. I loaded my own. Not even one malfunction. One can't guess about velocity, it requires a chronograph, or use the data from the box if commercially loaded ammo. Or just accept that the manufacturer got it right. That's what I would do with defensive ammo.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Lots of good advice here, but I think we are getting too deep into the weeds.

You are looking for something your wife can shoot large paper plates with at 50 feet. Your worries are recoil and function, and accuracy.

Recoil - The heavier bullet the less recoil. Since you don’t “roll your own” then go with commercial 147 grain that expands. Second choice would be the 124 grain. The heavier bolt option does reduce felt recoil a bit.

Function - Since you keep it locked and loaded, and the chance of a malfunctioning is pretty slim, your best bet would be to change to an extended charging handle. That doubles the number of fingers you can use.

Accuracy- Everyone loves the idea of a laser. Looks cool, you see it in all the movies, and you can supposedly scare the attacker…. The problem is finding the dot, and at 50 feet you don’t have time to shift your focus from intruder to dot and back. So get a red dot sight that matches up with the sights. I’m almost your age and found that bigger is better when it comes to optics. I’ve mounted what seems to be a huge Holosun on mine. My focus can stay on the bad guy. If they are in the window then the dot is on them. We’re not shooting bullseyes, just bad guys. Bad guys are big and any rounds on target are good.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts