SU22C for california

Discussion in 'SU-22' started by whitecrow, Jun 12, 2010.

1. whitecrow

whitecrow New Member

Jun 12, 2010
    Hello,
    I'm a new SU16CA owner and new to this forum.
    Trying to figure out if a SU22 with the charlie stock would be legal in California.
    For a rimfire I don't think a SU22C would be illegal in California.  The barrel is still over 16" and the CA laws (from what I understand) are specific to centerfire.  But on the Keltec website the charlie stock is 'not legal in CA and some other states'.  I'm researching 22LR's and I'm stuck.  I also read here on the forums that a SU22C will be offered soon (new mags are in production so the stock will seat) but I haven't found any when googling.

Any thoughts from people more knowledgeable than me?  Thanks.

2. Liberty4Ever

Liberty4Ever Moderator Supporter

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    Can't help you with the screwy California gun laws, but I had heard what you said about some of the dumb laws not applied to rimfire. As always, the folks at CalGuns.net are your friends.

I've been surprised that Kel-Tec hasn't introduced the SU-22C sooner. It seems like a simple modification, and the 15-round mags have been available from Black Dog for several months. I guess everyone at Kel-Tec has a lot on their plates, meeting the huge demand for their older product lines, ramping up RFB production, and rolling out the PMR-30.

I was on the Bud's Gun Shop website yesterday and I noticed they had two versions of the SU-22. One had an 18" barrel but little other info and no picture. I wondered if this was a new model from Kel-Tec, or a Bud's error in their inventory database. Wouldn't be the first time. Still, two different barrel lengths, two different prices...

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=su-22&x=0&y=0

3. whitecrow

whitecrow New Member

Jun 12, 2010
    Thanks, I've registered with calguns.net and posted the question.
    I'll report back here anything I've learned.

4. whitecrow

whitecrow New Member

Jun 12, 2010
    I got an answer from the calguns.net forum.
    OAL, the total length of the rifle would be under 26 inches (with folded stock), and that is illegal in CA.  Here is the answer to my question from someone on the calguns.net forums:
    http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=4445894&posted=1#post4445894

So, if I put a muzzle break and lock tight it on permanently to get it to 26 inches, that'd be legal. I'll keep it in mind.

5. bringthemead

bringthemead New Member

Dec 14, 2008
    Wow, gotta love the laws here. Thanks for the update

6. Stompy

Stompy New Member

May 17, 2010
    It says on the very last post that the law only applies to centerfire rifles NOT rimfire. You can have pretty much anything you want on a rimfire rifle in CA, just not on an "big bad and evil" centerfire rifle.

7. Javi

Javi New Member

Oct 24, 2010
    Sorry for bumping an old thread but this would have been a thread I would have made anyways haha. I'm over here in gloomy (at the moment) California and have been keeping my eye on this rifle for 2 months now(also in the run is the ruger 10/22 & the S&W M&P 15-22). Happy about hearing of a SU22C, I didn't know that was coming soon. I planned on buying that stock, actually. Sorry if I missed it but will there be a 10-round magazine for it by any chance? I bookmarked a few sites that had .22 conversion magazines if I had to do that but if there's one straight from Kel-Tec, I would MUCH prefer that.