Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to the forum so please have patience with me. I live in CA and had my heart set on a Sub 2k. 40 cal for Glock magazines. My local dealer here in Northern CA said they can order them but would have to add a thick rubber buttstock end to make it legal, etc, etc, and then showed me the SU 16 CA in stock. I really liked it's features and its weight. Here's the thing he also showed me the Del-Ton AR Sport for rougly the same price (bullet button and all). I have done my research and am now at a cross roads. Please help/advice......oh and 2 of my buddies just ordered the KSG...but I have my heart set on a carbine or does anyone have a Sub 2k in CA?

Please help.

Thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
They are two different guns, they both have advantages and disadvantages. I have a Su 16b and AR15 ( Daniel defense) I prefer the ar personally, but I'll never selling my Su either.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a SU16 CA and 2 ars. The SU16 rides in my pickup with me as my bog if something is needed in a hurry. They are fun to shoot. The ars are in 2 diffferent locations, shop & home.
The 16 is kept stock so I do not need a bullet button on it in CA. It does have the KT short forearm. Will be replacing with Red Lion Precision railed R4 forearm when they become available again.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I don't live in CA but I would definitely get the Kel-Tec. Bullet buttons suck! At least the SU-16 was designed to compromise with CA law.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've got an SU16 CA in New York State. The AWB is pretty much the same here as the expired federal one and CA's. Since the stock does not fold or collapse, the grip is not a pistol grip, and there's no bayonet mount or grenade launcher it is legal with the threaded muzzle. I have the PWS flash suppressing compensator (not a flash hider, still a bic lighter burst to stay legal in NY.) these guns want muzzle accessories. I am pretty sure I don't need to pin it either, so I can continue to shop for more toys. So much fun to shoot this gun.
I debated this vs a sub2k as it's not for shooting animals or people. But the prices on sub2ks if you can get one are almost the same as SU16s, and the 5.56 round is cheap enough and more versatile in case of, well, just in case.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Give me a CA and no bullet button vs. a cheap AR with a bullet button.

the S2K buttpad doesn't sound like a deal breaker to me. I'll get one if I ever get a S2K, just to keep from having to register it as a pistol in this fine state.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've got a S2K and a Del-Ton AR. I got them for two very different purposes and both are excellent for what I got them for. I don't have a SU-16 but that's likely my next purchase. It all depends on what you're looking for purpose-wise. Del-Ton makes a very good AR for the money. Their parts kit leaves a bit to be desired - and BTW, upgrade your trigger (like a Rock River 2 stage or something like it).

On my first range trip with the Del-Ton I got 1-2" groups at 100 yds after scoping in a new Leupold. I'm not the best at scoping in and I'm no marksman either, so for this gun to perform that way on 55 gr .223 rounds brand new with my usual poor shooting habits made me really impressed with it. That being said, I couldn't hit squat with the S2K until I fitted it with a red dot. It's still great for close quarters, but unsighted I had a hard time getting on paper at 100 yds; moved it up to 75 yds and it did fine.

If you want an all-purpose gun, and take my opinion for what it is, I would go with the SU-16 out of the three. I bought the other two as specific purpose guns, but my next purchase will be a bit more multi-purpose, eg., the SU-16. I will add, that I'm looking into what it would take to do a 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 SPC conversion before I get one though. I've seen it converted to 6.8 SPC, but nothing yet on 6.5 Grendel. If I could get an SU-16 in either of those calibers, I'd say it would become my favorite most -used gun of the three by far.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts