Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am a new owner of a SU16C. I brought it home from my FFL and then discovered the dust cover was left off? So I e-mailed KT and they sent me one in the mail free. I got it today and proceeded to tear it down to install it. After removing the bolt carrier and trying to install it, I discovered that the bolt carrier is for the other model of SU16's that do not have a dust cover and that the small screw that keeps the cover aligned is missing? I e-mailed KT a little while ago and will have to see what they say, but was wondering if anyone else has see this?

·
Registered
840 Posts
Maybe you don't have a c model but another model with the c stock added. That would be my guess. Why you need a dust cover? They run great with out them. My box from kel tec doesn't say a/b/c/ca on it. Only su16 so my guess is someone changed out the stock.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Maybe you don't have a c model but another model with the c stock added. That would be my guess. Why you need a dust cover? They run great with out them. My box from kel tec doesn't say a/b/c/ca on it. Only su16 so my guess is someone changed out the stock.

How would this be possible? The C model folds in a different place to the A, B and CA right?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Hey guys thanks for the replies. I bought the rifle new online and I have a few pics to show you better what I am talking about. I believe the bolt carrier is missing the recess where the dust cover goes, so I believe that this must be a bolt carrier for the other models and the screw that does in from the inside of the receiver is missing that keeps the dust cover from over traveling.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,000 Posts
Steel, yours definitely looks like something is missing compared to pics on the Kel Tec website.

Any chance you're in Canada? Or is that a Canadian model? That could explain it. I think you need to call the mothership and find out what you have.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I live in the lower 48 and the gun came from Texas. I know it probably isn't a big deal but I did buy it new and I would like for it to be complete. I really wonder is if the receivers are different on the Charle models? The bolt cycles fine by hand but I don't want to shoot it until I know for sure from KT. I e-mailed them yesterday and was hoping to here from them today, but haven't heard from them yet. I did send them the pics, so I hope they understand what I am talking about.

·
Premium Member
15,000 Posts
In comparing pics of the different models side by side...yours looks like either the A or B model. At least when looking at the dust cover areas. My B model has no dust cover.

Strange. But it could be as simple as Kel Tec made a change. They don't always tell us when they do.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I think there may be some production runs without the dust cover; I noticed SU-16E's being sold with and without the dust cover components - though not the Charlie's, since that's one of the features advertised. Hmm.
What does the box say for the model number? It should say SU-16C-BLK or something similar.

·
Registered
383 Posts
In comparing pics of the different models side by side...yours looks like either the A or B model. At least when looking at the dust cover areas. My B model has no dust cover.
It has a Charlie front sight in the pictures. Since the barrel is not easy to replace by the end user, I am pretty sure it left the factory as a C model.

·
Registered
35 Posts
That's odd. Maybe with the RDB production they are slowing down SU-16 production and decided to go with the universal bolt carrier for all models.

All the other models function fine without it, so it shouldn't be a deal-breaker. The dust cover was a perk of the C model to keep dust out of the receiver while being stored or carried.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Hm...safe queen against possible collector value some day, or just keep shooting??
Somehow, as much as I like my SU, it's hard to imagine 'collectability' and 'Kel-Tec' next to each other. :p

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sorry for the very late reply. I did call Kel-Tec and was told that they are no longer offering the Charley model with a dust cover. I REALLY like this rifle, but it does make me mad that it has no dust cover. When talking to Kel-Tec I even asked if I could buy a bolt that had the recess for the cover and they told me they would have to check and that they would call me back. Months later no reply. I had considered buying the survival RDB when it became available, but Kel-Tec can forget it now.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.