SU-22!

Discussion in 'SU-22' started by TxCajun, Jan 2, 2008.

1. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    [​IMG]

This post is copied from the PLR forum where it first appeared. Now that we have two new forums (PLR-22 & SU-22), it has been been copied to both places so discussion can be split among the two new Kel-tecs.

Thanks Toby! :cool:

2. burley

burley Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    I want one.

Hey Toby if ya need any beta testers I will most humbly offer my services. ;)

3. jimwiggs

jimwiggs Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2006
    Cocoa, FL

So do I ;D

4. BuccaneersFan

BuccaneersFan New Member

Jul 16, 2007
  5. Syndil

Syndil New Member

May 8, 2007
    Looks like Kel-Tec listened!

6. Liberty4Ever

Liberty4Ever Moderator Supporter

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    I was planning on buying the expensive carbine conversion for my Beretta NEOS .22 LR pistol, but it's been "almost ready to ship" for a couple of years. I think they've lost interest. I'd rather buy a Kel-Tec, anyway!

This does answer one burning question I had. I didn't know what to do with my Charlie stock after converting the SU-16C to an SU-16CE with the pistol grip and collapsible AR-15 stock, and soon to the side folding SU-16 butt stock. Now I know. I'm going to have an SU-22C!

I like that it ships with the compact forend! I'm putting a bi-pod on there!

Thank You Kel-Tec!

7. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    THERE is your folding, 22 cal, survival rifle.  
    Decent mag capacity to.  :cool:

8. gsr

gsr Active Member

Sep 13, 2004
    I am saving my pocket change as I type. ;D  I've been wanting an SU-16 for a while, but .223 ammo has more than doubled in the last few years.  Now I can have one I can afford to shoot! ;)  I just hope the mags for it are not too high, i.e. more than $25 each for the 27 rounders. I also hope the barrel will be threaded, as on the .223 caliber versions.

9. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
  10. ktwm

ktwm Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2004
    I read on another forum that brownells will sell the mags (in smoke) for $19.13 in January. http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=15&t=356050 They are the same mags used in the most popular (JAC) AR-15 .22LR conversion kits. The mag that comes with the SU/PLR-22 will have the Kel-Tec logo though.  :)

Yes the Barrel is threaded 1/2-28 (Both PLR and SU).  The SU comes with the compact forend because it cannot fit the SU-16 forend/bipod. it uses the PLR-16 attachment style with the threaded nut in the front.

FYI the BDM mags are longer than 30rounders so I don't think the C-model stock will fold over it, but you could insert the mag after it is folded and it could still be a compact survival rifle.

11. shootah800

shootah800 New Member

Nov 29, 2007
    THERE is your folding, 22 cal, survival rifle.  
    Decent mag capacity to.  :cool:
    [/quote]

Make mine a Charlie, too!
    Throw in the PLR, as well.

It may be a bit early to make my Santa list, huh?

DANG!!!

-Matt

12. Syndil

Syndil New Member

May 8, 2007
    Since this is a blowback operated .22, does this mean the gas tube is just decoration?

13. ktwm

ktwm Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2004
    It wasn't really the "gas tube" in the SU/PLR-16, it was the recoil spring tube. And yes, it is a blowback action so there is no piston and just the recoil spring is in the recoil spring tube.

14. c0wboi38

c0wboi38 New Member

Sep 19, 2006
    Oh I WILL have one.

This has replaced the 10/22 on the list of ".22 rifle to get at some point"

Hopefully soon!

15. Liberty4Ever

Liberty4Ever Moderator Supporter

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    Does anyone else think it's weird that a 27 round .22 LR magazine is longer than a 30 round .223 magazine?

As much space as there is in a 30 round .223 magazine and as small as .22 LR ammo is, someone should be able to squeeze 100 rounds in there! :)

This sort of stuff is one of the reasons I was saying it'd be neat to have a purpose built Kel-Tec .22 LR, not that I'll mind having .22 LR versions of the PLR-16 and SU-16! Pretty cool! :cool:

16. ktwm

ktwm Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2004
    yea,
    A purpose built .22 would be nice, but it would not be on the market as quick as the PLR-22 and SU-22 will be (since ALL new parts would have to be made).

and the reason the 27 round .22LR is longer than a 30round .223 is because the .22LR is a single stack, and the .223 is a double stack....It's hard (if not impossible) to make a reliable, double stack .22LR mag. Remember, the BDM mags were made as a replacement to the sheetmetal ciener mags, which were single stack.

17. RobO

RobO New Member

Jun 24, 2006
    I hear a chorus of angels singing "Hallelujah..."

Will a magazine fit inside the stock?

18. Stevil

Stevil New Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Can we realistically expect to see a loaner in time for the KTOG Nationals? ;) It may have to come home to CA with me... minus the magazine of course. :-/

19. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Toby is saying early 2nd quarter of 2008. I bet we see more than a loaner. I also saw mention of impending 10 rd mags for our resident CA gun nuts. :cool:

20. ktwm

ktwm Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2004
    yes and no. it's too long to fit flush, but it will fit in there with one end hanging out some and one set of clasps hold it in some, but not very well.  There may be a way to modify the stock so they fit better, but it will not be advertised as a magazine storage area.

BDM is making some magazines that are pinned to only accept 10rounds (same outside dimensions). currently the PLR-22CA will come with the 27rounder, but there may be a version with the 10rounders, or perhaps the California distributors will swap out the mags. That's the kind of stuff that will be figured out at SHOT show.  Let your dealers or distributors know you are looking for one and they will tell us at SHOT.