Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen the mention of a possible .22LR conversion for the PMR-30 which made me curious if there's a possibility of there being a conversion made the other direction for creating a SU-22WMR/SU-30 conversion? I'm all about re-usability which is why I've loved my SUB-2000 combined with my Glock 19. The PMR-30 & RMR-30 already make me want to get into this but having the ability to then have a larger Kel-Tec rifle based off of this as well adds even more excitement to the idea.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I see it as one of those technically possible, but economically impractical things. With the RMR-30 coming to market soon, there is no point in another 22 WMR rifle in the Kel Tec product line.

·
Super Moderator
10,061 Posts
The PMR-30 conversion is possible because the .22 WMR barrel lifts out and can be replaced easily with a .22 LR barrel. There is a decent chance that Kel-Tec can make a double stack .22 LR magazine with the same exterior dimensions as their .22 WMR magazine.

The SU-22 uses a fixed barrel. Replacing the barrel is a factory upgrade, and not an easy thing. You certainly wouldn't be able to switch back and forth with a caliber conversion in the field.

Similarly, the Ciener style .22 LR mags that have the same exterior as an AR-15 mag made the SU-22 practical because Kel-Tec didn't need to make their own magazine, which is a tricky thing. I don't think there is a .22 WMR magazine in an AR-15 form factor, so that would add a lot of development to the SU-22WMR project, and I doubt the market demand would support that effort by Kel-Tec.

Based on the number of cool new gotta-have-it firearms Kel-Tec has made recently, compared to their comparatively lackluster ability to supply the demand they've created, I think most Kel-Tec fans would argue in favor of them putting more effort toward manufacturing their stable existing lines, as well as the PMR-30, RMR-30, RFB, and KSG. Few people would be encouraging them to spend all the time and effort that would be needed to create the SU-22WMR... particularly when they have the compact, high capacity RMR-30 coming out just as soon as they finish it, and most of that work is already done.

·
Grand Poobah
1,395 Posts
Another consideration is that the price difference between .22 WMR and .223/5.56 is smaller than the performance difference. I found CCI 40 gr FMJ for $.26 per round. In quantity, .223/5.56 55 gr FMJ can be had for $.34 or less per round. .22 WMR isn't usually sold in bulk like .223/5.56. If you are going to have a rifle the same size as an SU-16 that uses magazines the same size as AR-15 mags, you might as well step up to an SU-16 and get the performance and reliability benefits of a center-fire round, as well as the tremendous selection of loadings it offers. Speaking of loading, .223 is re-loadable, further reducing costs, unlike .22 WMR.

I do agree that it would be a cool rifle, but it has serious and well-established competition.

buzzsaw

1 - 4 of 4 Posts