SU-22 WMR possibility?

Discussion in 'SU-22' started by brentil, Mar 3, 2011.

1. brentil

brentil New Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    I've seen the mention of a possible .22LR conversion for the PMR-30 which made me curious if there's a possibility of there being a conversion made the other direction for creating a SU-22WMR/SU-30 conversion? I'm all about re-usability which is why I've loved my SUB-2000 combined with my Glock 19. The PMR-30 & RMR-30 already make me want to get into this but having the ability to then have a larger Kel-Tec rifle based off of this as well adds even more excitement to the idea.

2. gsr

gsr Member

Sep 13, 2004
    I see it as one of those technically possible, but economically impractical things. With the RMR-30 coming to market soon, there is no point in another 22 WMR rifle in the Kel Tec product line.

3. Liberty4Ever

Liberty4Ever Moderator Supporter

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    The PMR-30 conversion is possible because the .22 WMR barrel lifts out and can be replaced easily with a .22 LR barrel. There is a decent chance that Kel-Tec can make a double stack .22 LR magazine with the same exterior dimensions as their .22 WMR magazine.

The SU-22 uses a fixed barrel. Replacing the barrel is a factory upgrade, and not an easy thing. You certainly wouldn't be able to switch back and forth with a caliber conversion in the field.

Similarly, the Ciener style .22 LR mags that have the same exterior as an AR-15 mag made the SU-22 practical because Kel-Tec didn't need to make their own magazine, which is a tricky thing. I don't think there is a .22 WMR magazine in an AR-15 form factor, so that would add a lot of development to the SU-22WMR project, and I doubt the market demand would support that effort by Kel-Tec.

Based on the number of cool new gotta-have-it firearms Kel-Tec has made recently, compared to their comparatively lackluster ability to supply the demand they've created, I think most Kel-Tec fans would argue in favor of them putting more effort toward manufacturing their stable existing lines, as well as the PMR-30, RMR-30, RFB, and KSG. Few people would be encouraging them to spend all the time and effort that would be needed to create the SU-22WMR... particularly when they have the compact, high capacity RMR-30 coming out just as soon as they finish it, and most of that work is already done.

4. buzzsaw

buzzsaw Grand Poobah Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Georgia
    Another consideration is that the price difference between .22 WMR and .223/5.56 is smaller than the performance difference. I found CCI 40 gr FMJ for $.26 per round. In quantity, .223/5.56 55 gr FMJ can be had for $.34 or less per round. .22 WMR isn't usually sold in bulk like .223/5.56. If you are going to have a rifle the same size as an SU-16 that uses magazines the same size as AR-15 mags, you might as well step up to an SU-16 and get the performance and reliability benefits of a center-fire round, as well as the tremendous selection of loadings it offers. Speaking of loading, .223 is re-loadable, further reducing costs, unlike .22 WMR.

I do agree that it would be a cool rifle, but it has serious and well-established competition.

buzzsaw